• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

using sticks to go up, platform to hunt, but rappel down

Bondy OutdoorsTV

curious if anyone uses climbing sticks to go up a tree, a platform to saddle hunt off of, then uses a rope to rappel on the way down (obviously removing the platform and sticks)?
It seems easier than trying to climb down especially with aiders. Faster too possibly? But there is the extra bulk of rope (about 30 foot of 9mm, and a figure 8 and a caribeaner, and potentially the retriever rope if you don’t use your bow pull rope for this)…

I would venture to say that is likely the most common ascending/descending method on this forum. Once you rappel down, you'll never want to come down any other way. Super easy, super safe (if done properly), and quicker than climbing down.

You just described the way a lot of us one stick. I have a platform on my one stick, but most times take the mission with me. If I am going to be in the tree longer than a few hours I use a mission stand.
Even when I climb my buddies stick stands I rappel down instead of climbing down. All the cool kids are rappelling!

curious if anyone uses climbing sticks to go up a tree, a platform to saddle hunt off of, then uses a rope to rappel on the way down (obviously removing the platform and sticks)?
It seems easier than trying to climb down especially with aiders. Faster too possibly? But there is the extra bulk of rope (about 30 foot of 9mm, and a figure 8 and a caribeaner, and potentially the retriever rope if you don’t use your bow pull rope for this)…
Are you referring to one sticking? Or climbing with 3 or 4 full sticks, then rappelling down? If you’re referencing climbing up using multiple sticks, I can’t see an advantage to rappelling down… one sticking I could see wanting to rappel down

Even when I was climbing with WE Stepps I rappelled down, stopping at each step to untie and remove it. I felt way more comfortable rappelling than stepping back down the tree searching for the steps with my feet on the way down. As someone else pointed out above too, you can't get any safer than hanging from a taut rope.

Are you referring to one sticking? Or climbing with 3 or 4 full sticks, then rappelling down? If you’re referencing climbing up using multiple sticks, I can’t see an advantage to rappelling down… one sticking I could see wanting to rappel down
I’m talking about climbing with 4 sticks (LWCG double steps and aiders), but rappelling down

There's definitely a bunch of guys on here doing exactly that. I'm a one-stick climber so I am not using multiple sticks but there's no reason you can't rappel down and stop at each stick and take it off the tree. IMO its safer than trying to climb down the sticks on a lineman's belt.

I typically one-stick and rappel down, but I’ll use multiple sticks some. I rappel down even when doing that.

I’d recommend rappelling down regardless of how you get up the tree. I was hesitant when I first tried it, but I can’t imagine coming down the tree any other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too! First with with full size heliums, then just one short helium, or a long one typically. Rappelling was the first thing I learned, then I had to figure out how to get up the tree and 3 sticks was the simplest way to do it. With a prussik for a brake below my ATC, stopping to remove each of my 3 sticks was ez too. Welcome to the addiction!

The extra bulk isn’t bad, it’s manageable. I started off three sticking up as I hadn’t settled on my one stick model yet. I have a platform on the top of my one stick now but I occasionally still hunt off my RR. It’s pretty easy, just step off the platform and leg hug the tree while removing the platform, then either lower it by the strap or hang it off your saddle/bag. Removing sticks is pretty much the same, lower yourself down to the stick, remove and secure. Wet, lather, rinse, repeat. For me other than the speed benefit is not having to fool around with trying to find an aider in the dark while descending. At several 45 degree and almost 90 degree pivots I decided that was enough.

I keep coming back to using my platform for a staging point to advance my cinched srt climbing line technique. I keep trying other systems but keep returning- just more confident with it. Rope, platform, foot ascender and hybrid srt device good to go and I can navigate branches as well as any diameter tree( within reason- no Redwoods LOL!)

I did this most of last season with 3 hawk heliums and a movable black diamond aider. It allows for sketchier aider positions. Aiders are no problem up. Also if you drop movable aider, or lose a stick it’s a nice safety to have. If you’re in a budget and have sticks already, buy rappel stuff first, then 2TC or 1 stick next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back