• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Vanes

jaberryhunter

Would the bohning heat vanes work good in a 3 fletch for around 225g up front. Heads are black hornets. As of now I'm using fletch aae max stealths. Just want to lighten up the back end of what ever arrow I decide to build. Thanks

A3692268-2CF8-4C34-BE28-7BB49EFE146B.jpegJust fletched up a bunch of arrows with heat vanes in a 4 fletch straight configuration (90 degree spacing). They seem to fly well so far. Shooting 150 grain IW broadheads (250 total weight up front with insert and impact collar).

I shot 275gr up front last year with aae pro max 3 fletch and they shot great. You’ll just have to try it out. If your bow is properly tuned it will shoot just about everything well.

If you really want to lighten the back end, try feathers. 2" Rayzr feathers are as light as they come and stabilize arrows very well.

Heat vanes will also work fine if your arrow spine and bow tune are appropriate. As SnakeEater says, the most important factor is how well tuned your bow is. I suggest a strong helical (or at least offset) configuration for these vanes with broadheads.

I do as much off set/ helical as I can on a bitzenberger jig. Now with feathers dont you have to waterproof them if you hunt in rainy weather?

A lot of folks say there is no difference and they fly just as well if they are wet, but I waterproof mine with Scotchgard spray. They stay upright in the rain, and even after passing through a deer they look ok. After they pass through a deer, I wash the shaft and feathers with soap, let them dry, and re-apply Scotchgard.

Currently I am shooting 3" feathers but 2" work fine too especially with 4 fletch.

1613592250555.png

I'm switching to AAE max stealth this year from Blazers (similar to Heat but a little bigger....oh and they fall off your arrow if you don't use their special glue and wipes!).

I'm switching to AAE max stealth this year from Blazers (similar to Heat but a little bigger....oh and they fall off your arrow if you don't use their special glue and wipes!).
Lol yeah tell me about it. I found that if you clean them with nail polish remover then they’ll stick with any old super glue

Used acetone on mine with the aae glue and I couldn't tear them off for nothing.

Yeah, that's common experience it seems. Other folks say they did the full AAE process and they kept falling off. Weird.

I'll be installing them on a onestringer arrow wrap. That helps most vanes adhere.

The heat vanes are a cool option. I bought a bunch right when they came out.

From my experience they flew well but my confidence was higher with 3 fletch blazers, especially for steering large fixed blade BH’s.

If I try heat vanes again it will be in the four fletch configuration for hunting or a 3 fletch arrow just for 3D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rayzr feather about the lightest option...1.4 grains. I haven't water proofed but probably not a bad idea although I never noticed any accuracy difference. I have them straight fletch since shooting them outta a whisker biscuit but the feathers have a natural curl so u get arrow rotation/stabilization no matter what.
If u did ur due diligence than the arrow is tuned and it really doesn't matter what kind of fletching u use
I'm shooting 425gr in the front

Are you just wiping the shaft and vanes with acetone, rubbing hard, soaking, etc?
I personally clean the shaft. Apply the wrap. Then quick clean of the wrap. Acetone the base of the max stealth, let dry a few minutes and then glue it. Now I'm in the habit of doing that for any fletching now.

I personally clean the shaft. Apply the wrap. Then quick clean of the wrap. Acetone the base of the max stealth, let dry a few minutes and then glue it. Now I'm in the habit of doing that for any fletching now.

Thanks. With Blazers and wraps, I just used rubbing alcohol and gorilla gel super glue. I read later that the Blazers have a primer on them and you aren't supposed to clean them! Still stuck really well.

The heat vanes are a cool option. I bought a bunch right when they came out.

From my experience they flew well but my confidence was higher with 3 fletch blazers, especially for steering large fixed blade BH’s.

If I try heat vanes again it will be in the four fletch configuration for hunting or a 3 fletch arrow just for 3D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look at the AAE max stealth, then they are in between sizes between Heat and Blazers (with more surface than both, longer than a heat and taller but shorter than a blazer). You might like those in a 3 fletch.

If you look at the AAE max stealth, then they are in between sizes between Heat and Blazers (with more surface than both, longer than a heat and taller but shorter than a blazer). You might like those in a 3 fletch.
I personally use aae max stealths. I was just looking for something lighter. Trying to get foc higher. But figured a couple grains won't hurt. Lol

TAC vanes are lighter than the stealth. They are super stiff and don’t really love a high degree of twist but they work well. Blazers control well but they are extremely loud in flight. Q2i Fusion x are a good vanes but can only be bought from Lancaster. Those will stick on oil.

Back