• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Venison Carpaccio

Bama_Xander

Made some venison carpaccio for the first time tonight and it was delicious. Such a unique way to enjoy the meat in its truest flavors. It is also extremely tender. This preparation came from the Meat Eater Fish and Game Cookbook. It is really opening up some amazing flavors and techniques for eating game in my house.

D98B0100-F686-4945-A7A3-8B64AA8DE5E5.jpeg

D50654EB-C159-4ABA-8C86-F85693D44845.jpeg

-For safest practice, make sure venison loin has been frozen for at least a week (this had been months)
-Proper care of meat in the field and in the butchering process is also very important. If you detect any off flavors or discoloration, I probably wouldn’t make carpaccio out of that meat.
-Note- there is always a risk consuming undercooked food, but life is made for risk.

-toast peppercorns and then grind in mortar and pestle
-trim venison loin of silver skin and fat
-roll loin in the crushed peppercorns
-wrap in plastic wrap tightly and freeze for an hour to firm up meat for slicing
-when firm, slice thin slices of loin and arrange on plate.
-sprinkle with flaky sea salt (Maldon)
-goes well with arugula and fresh greens with homemade spicy citrus vinaigrette.

Note - never make pork, bear, mountain lion, etc carpaccio. Any omnivore or carnivore meat should be cooked to 160+ to prevent contracting trichinosis.

If you can get access to a deli meat slicer and can slice it paper thin that’s when carpaccio is outrageous. It’s a great cookbook!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks amazing. I've been known to eat a few pieces right off the deer when processing. A little salt and pepper. I'll have to look into the cookbook too.

If you are scared of completely raw outside, give it a quick sear. I took a portion of the same loin and made for lunch today. Salt and pepper the loin and then quickly sear in screaming hot grape seed oil. Couple slices of butter with garlic cloves and rosemary to baste for 1 min. Completely raw in the middle with a nice crust on the outside.

64F11401-80D9-4376-B2A7-6BE1BA4583C3.jpeg

Heck yeah if you've never tried carpaccio you don't know what you're missing. Finish with some arugula and serve with good bread. This stuff is primo at fancy restaraunts.
You can pound it out a little thinner in a ziploc to get it as thin as you like. Screenshot_20191002-200619_Photos.jpg

Back