• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Venison ribs

K1white3

Does anyone have a good recipe for these? Trying to figure out if they are worth getting out of the deer or not? I like to utilize as much of the animal as I can

My dad started making them last season. He’s hooked! I don’t know his recipe but I’m going to save all of mine this season.

I usually take mine from bow kills. Rifle I'd be pretty careful not to each lead shrapnel.

I do the housewife cheater method...braise them first then sear on the grill with whatever sauce fills your fancy. I usually go for a korean bbq sauce, goes really well with red meat. I intend to try smoking them straight up someday but the housewife method works pretty dang good.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

I was going to suggest all things cooking forum but elk yinzer beat me to it , I've been wanting to try some of the recipes I have not gotten to it yet.

IMO best when parboiled and then grilled.

@elkyinzer I tried smoking them and they turned out pretty good but tough. I prefer them parboiled as they are so lean they get very chewy, even on the kamado.

Good to know.

As far as being "worth it" on an average size deer I take the whole ribcage including the brisket, split at the backbone and sternum. Then I usually saw each half in half horizontally and package them in cuts that fit in a braising pot. You want to trim the heavy fat, don't go nuts with it. The braising process gets rid of the rest. I typically get three or four packages, each is a hearty meal for two; or appetizers for six or so. A good amount of meat. They are a minor pain compared to breaking down quarters, but its a shame that much meat usually goes to waste.

The only ribs I've eaten left a 'waxy' feeling in my mouth from the silverskin(some may call it fat) on the meat....Looks like braising might get rid of it...Those pics make me want to try it....

How timely is this?! I made the only ribs I 'spared' from last year,last night. I also parboiled them in salted water. You will see the fat rise to the surface I skimmed it off. I then slow cooked for 4 hours on high in a strong ale. I then took them out covered in a rib sauce and put in the oven for 10 minutes to caramelize the sauce.

They weren't bad but the ale was too overpowering. I will make the ribs again for sure. Just tame what I cover it with.

The only ribs I've eaten left a 'waxy' feeling in my mouth from the silverskin(some may call it fat) on the meat....Looks like braising might get rid of it...Those pics make me want to try it....

Same here! I tried it a couple years ago in a crock pot and the waxy substance filled my mouth and it seemed like it just stuck there! I think the parboil or braising must be the answer. @elk yinzer those look awesome!

The waxy residue is probable either fat that didn’t render out, or the membrane on the inside of the rib cage. Just like with regular ribs, you need to peel the membrane off before marinading, dry rubbing, or brining.

The wax feeling in your mouth is tallow (fat).

I don’t believe the silver skin and other membranes cause that feeling and when cooked properly break down and actually make the meat very tender. I’m talking about cuts like shanks. You need to pull that membrane off ribs though.

I saw someone on youtube fry them recently I will look for the video and drop a link for it.. it looked amazing, I was watching it and thinking idk how many times I have wasted venison ribs but never again!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I saw someone on youtube fry them recently I will look for the video and drop a link for it.. it looked amazing, I was watching it and thinking idk how many times I have wasted venison ribs but never again!

Was not hard to find check out this recipe

321 method works for me every time. 3 hours in the smoker with smoke to render fat and put on flavor. Then wrap in foil and back in smoker for 2hrs to get them nice and juicy. The back out of foil add whatever sauce you like and caramelize for an hour. Works wonders on pork ribs as well. I have shortened to 2,1,.5 but nothing beats the full recipe. The key is to render the majority of the fat out though. Most people don’t care for the mouth feel of wild game fat which leaves an oily coating in the mouth. Any of the “cheater methods” work great too as mentioned previously.

I have used them with the other bones to make venison stock. Nothing beats a solid stock when making a sauce to go with venison and pasta.

So, I just tried the Meateater recipe. 3-4 hours in the crockpot and then sauce or rub and grill. Mine came out horrible :( I went back and reviewed the recipe and I had followed it to a tee. I am guessing that my crockpot needed more time for this amount of ribs (one half of a ribcage from a smaller buck). After googling other recipes, I see than some recommend 5-6 hours in the crockpot, but mine had only 4. Others par boil on the stove or broil/bake with moisture in the oven. Long and short is that I think mine did not get tender enough before I went to the grill. My wife described it as an "epic fail." A buddy still has a rack to try, but he is a bit scared after my experience. He is an experienced smoker, so I hope his turn out better.

I am still hungry... Hugh

So, I just tried the Meateater recipe. 3-4 hours in the crockpot and then sauce or rub and grill. Mine came out horrible :( I went back and reviewed the recipe and I had followed it to a tee. I am guessing that my crockpot needed more time for this amount of ribs (one half of a ribcage from a smaller buck). After googling other recipes, I see than some recommend 5-6 hours in the crockpot, but mine had only 4. Others par boil on the stove or broil/bake with moisture in the oven. Long and short is that I think mine did not get tender enough before I went to the grill. My wife described it as an "epic fail." A buddy still has a rack to try, but he is a bit scared after my experience. He is an experienced smoker, so I hope his turn out better.

I am still hungry... Hugh

Too tough? Yeah you gotta get them falling apart before the final grill. It's not a time thing, it may take 2 hours or 8, depends on a few factors.

Back