• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Venison shank

Irondan

Last year, I vacuumed sealed the shanks from my buck. I had beboned them. I wanted to try to cook them up. So I seared in the cast iron and then in the instant pot on high pressure for 50 minutes. I took them into work to share. They were the most tender and devious meal i have had. Will never thrown them or put in the grinder again. Give it a try this year.

Shanks have become one of my favorite cuts.

Gotta know how to cook em.

I frequented a Northern VA restaurant that made killer Ossobuco and got me hooked on the cut.

But, when I see it on the menu at fine dineries, I almost always try it, and it mostly disappoints, and costs $$$$.

I haven't tried an instanpot, but pressure is friend, or time.

Tyler Florence's recipie is a good one to work from for flavors.

Shanks are one of my favorite parts for sure. Have not tried an instapot but the crockpot has treated me well. They can make some good tacos also!

I'm glad to see the good news of the Shank spreading. Hands down one of my favorite cuts! And definitely pretty versatile if you've got time and patience. They make a great stew too.

Yep, crock pot has been good to me also. We then use the shredded meat for all kinds of things, tacos, enchiladas, nacho dip, put it on top baguettes with a little cheese, green onion and hot sauce...

Nacho dip, that sounds amazing. Never thought of that.

Next time around, I'm going to try baguette crostini with shredded venison, pimento cheese, and green onion. Thanks for the inspiration.

I'm not proud to say that I don't keep any of them. Honestly, most of our deer down here are so small that the shanks don't usually have enough meat on them to fool with the effort.

Very little effort involved. Hack them off and freeze them whole. You can keep it simple and simply sear them in a hot skillet, put them in a crockpot with some peppers/onions/vegetables of your choice, cover with beef broth and let it simmer all day. Shred it up and enjoy. I usually do mine for a solid 8 hours with the crockpot on Hi, but our crockpot doesn't get real hot so that may vary for you. Most of the connective tissue breaks down and disappears and there will be a lot more meat there than you thought.

I'm not proud to say that I don't keep any of them. Honestly, most of our deer down here are so small that the shanks don't usually have enough meat on them to fool with the effort.
Cut all 4 off. and if its a mature deer i guarantee its more meat than you think. unless your hunting in the florida keys...those little guys make sika deer look like elk.

Southeast GA on the coast.

I usually pull whatever I can for grind, but never save them whole.
yea theyre a pain in the ass to separate for ground. instapot makes quick work of em and separates the good stuff from the junk

I’ll never throw a shank away, and will straight up ask my buddies for them. They have become my # 3 venison meal.
I’ve done soups and stews, Osso Bucco is great, but I HATE sawing them into stupid discs.
My favorite way to make shanks disappear at my house is as follows:
Sear on charcoal grill
Put in fridge overnight
Put in a Dutch oven before I go to work with Mexican spices & such.
place in oven @ 220 till I get home.
shred like pulled pork
Brown some small (street taco size tortillas)
Add onions, cilantro and verde sauce.
Devour till I’m fat as a tick.
Id post a picture, but I hate the process.

Ya'll inspire me to eat them shanks this year and possibly take the shanks from everyone who don't want them and serve them up to all.

Ya'll prefer sawing them off and keeping bone in or just debone?

If the shank is so good this way, imagine how good the rest of the deer could be made the same way

Back