• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Versatile and (cost) effective rain gear / pants?

TreeCreep

SH Member
Hi Everyone,
while I searched for rain gear , I could only find mention buried in other threads.
Do you guys have a good recommendation for rain gear / waterproof pants?
=looking for an in between the $1000 matching Camo jumpers on YouTube and cheap / ill fitting big box stuff.
I have a Browning Rain Slayer jacket I like but I got it for a steal and it is very tailored for use beyond October.
would bibs be ideal for Saddle?
considering Nomad , which I read about on here. sorry if I am blatantly missing a rain gear thread.
thanks

Rivers West is the only rain gear I've owned that is actually quiet. I have a $$$ Sitka Downpour jacket that is fleece, but it is still kinda loud and has a few major design flaws and is Gore Tex Paclite, which is the worst version of Gore Tex made. For lightweight, breathable rain gear, I wear Helly Hansen hiking pants/jacket in their 3 layer membrane. Hiking company stuff goes on sale more often and is usually better made for the money, but louder.

Alright, Good Deal and I have one of John Eberharts Books where he suggests Rivers West.
thanks - I’ll try to get it approved by high command. ( Mrs.)

agree with hiking / REI / mountain steals / type gear . I’ve been wearing earth tone hiking pants to hunt more often for fit/value

Rivers west. I have both the Frontier and Pioneer jackets and the Pioneer pants. Glad I didn’t go with the Ambush cause it will never get cold enough in South Alabama for it.

I have a lot of rivers west gear and it is excellent.
Cables has a mid price line of rain pants and jackets that are also very well made and quiet. They run about 60-80.00 per piece with a few camo choices.
Rivers west also makes a rain cape.. haven't tried it in the saddle, not sure it would work well at all though

I have the cabelas space rain suit. I really like the setup and haven't had any issues with it. I have yet to wear it in saddle though, but I don't anticipate any issues.

Rivers west. I have both the Frontier and Pioneer jackets and the Pioneer pants. Glad I didn’t go with the Ambush cause it will never get cold enough in South Alabama for it.

How packable is the pioneer set?

Sent from d_mobile

Meh, about like any light-ish jacket and pants. I haven’t shoved them into a pack yet, but see no problem getting them into a regular sized pack with a few other things.

Meh, about like any light-ish jacket and pants. I haven’t shoved them into a pack yet, but see no problem getting them into a regular sized pack with a few other things.

Yeah not looking for something that stuffs into a pocket, but that doesn’t burst a 1800 cu. in. Daypack to the seams. I have an older core4element set that is due for an upgrade.

Sent from d_mobile

Yeah not looking for something that stuffs into a pocket, but that doesn’t burst a 1800 cu. in. Daypack to the seams. I have an older core4element set that is due for an upgrade.

Sent from d_mobile

Jacket and pants if this helps. I can fit them both into lumbar pack of my Alps Big Bear X.

0F21A10F-80DB-4AD5-8C27-D82A783FDE79.jpeg

If you go with Rivers West, be aware that it might not breath through the fabric as well as leaky gore tex. But the venting system is very good, and most moisture escapes via the vents and other openings (cuffs, etc) in garments (if I recall a study by a large maker, it is at least 80%) and not through the fabric. As such, Rivers West products vary by product in whether or not they have arm pit zips, vents on the legs of pants, or other openings. Those vents are very important to me for my comfort. So, I guess I'm saying read the descriptions for that info, if it matters to you.

The Nomad stuff I ordered on sale a few weeks ago is pretty nice. The sizing makes absolutely no sense whatsoever so be prepared to exchange. Luckily the process is easy and exchanges are free. For reference I’m 5’9” 180lbs 33x32 pant and I ended up in a small jacket and large pants.

Froggy togg all sport is what I've had for a 5 years....not the quietest and will over heat u but it does keep u dry....recently started making them in bottom land...any rain gear that can stand up to busting palmettos is pretty tough.....less than $80 if I remember correctly...to me they run big. I'm 5'10 170 and large is way big...medium bottom land will be my replacement whenever my current set wears out

Honestly I don't generally wear rain gear unless it's really bucketing out. I will pop on a boonie hat to keep rain off my face, and I keep a milsurp poncho in my pack for emergencies, and Frogg Toggs in my truck. If it's raining enough that I'm worried about losing the blood trail I'll generally head back to my truck and read a book until it lightens up.

Back