• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Video camera choice

MattMan81

SH Member
Getting my daughter set up to go hang out with me some thing fall. Thinking about buying her a video camera so she can record things. She really likes that stuff. So why not let her potential record me taking a deer?
Any suggestion on cameras? Don't want to break the bank on it. But a decent camera for a decent price is all I am after. Suggestions?
Thanks

I was wondering about the Sonys for around $250 new a few months ago. I didn't feel like spending $1000 on a real camera. Does anyone have experience with the Sonys?

I used to film all the time with a little Sony Handycam until baggage handlers destroyed it in my luggage coming home from Alaska. Just depends on what kind of expectations you have for the final product. Auto focus was my biggest complaint and manual focus on those little cams isn't easy to operate.

I have a Sony Handicam 675. It takes great video and the battery lasts a long time. It’s got the self stabilization and has a really good optical zoom before it goes digital. I run it on a Fourth Arrow with a manfrotto be free live head. Camera itself was a steal on eBay and came with multiple batteries and accessories. Wireless controls also. I tape the remote to the handle of the fluid head for one handed operation.

I’ve got a Sony cx440. It’s about a 250 dollar camera. It has nice features. Where the consumer camcorders suffer is low light and lacking a manual focus.

I have a Canon hfr11 that's nice. Super small, 32gb onboard memory and expandable with an SD card. Takes photos and video. Think I paid $50 in ebay obviously not new but in excellent shape.

Not sure what you are looking to spend but, here is a post I made a while ago that summarized all of the research I did at the time.

Something you could consider is getting a DSLR camera. IMO, if she likes taking photos that will kill two birds with 1 stone. If you do look at DSLR things to consider is full frame cameras, they will be perform better in low light conditions because they have a bigger sensor. The draw back is they are slightly heavier and can be more expensive v.s what I have is a Panasonic Lumix G7 mirco 4/3.

Back