• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Video - Single Pin Sight For Hunting Whitetails? Yeh - You!

kyler1945

SH Member
I've posted on this topic before, but I figured I'd drop a video for those folks who hate watching me do something slightly less than reading about it. I've seen a couple more posts about screwing up a shot because of not knowing which pin to use.

You can read a little more in depth on the topic here -

Again - this is not a new idea. I didn't come up with it. But it is likely the simplest way for a new archer, or anyone really, to cut the crap when they're hunting. With today's bows, there is little need for more than one pin if you intend to shoot deer inside of 30 yards. If you're shooting a bow slower than 250fps, or you're shooting deer past 30 yards - well, I'd be happy to pontificate on the topic in another thread. But for the majority of folks, what we have here is the simplest way to screw less stuff up in the moment of truth. Multi pin sights are for target archers, long distance shooting, western hunting, etc. Don't believe me? Set your 10/20/30 yard pins, or any variation thereof, with a bow shooting 250+fps. For 30 yards and in, your pins will be so close together, they are likely touching, or not far off.

Why does this matter? Well, when you get the shakes, or you're dog tired and not mentally focused after a long day hunting, sometimes we miscalculate or lose it in the moment of truth. Looking at a blob of 3 or worse yet, 5 pins will just make you more silly. But everyone here can see a deer, aim with one pin, and send it.

Hopefully this will help someone out. You'll have to forgive my poor shooting - the 15 yard shot I yanked high. But as you can see, you're going to hit within 2-3" of where you aim if YOU do YOUR part. This is not some fairy dust that will make you a better shooter. If your form sucks, and your shooting sucks, well, you're gonna suck. But if you do things somewhat consistently, and remove some variables, you'll become a more accurate hunter. That's what it's about - hunting. Deer move. Rangefinders are off. The list could go on for a mile. If you can consistently hit within 3" of where you're aiming, at a max range of 30 yards, you're going to increase your odds exponentially for success.

I'm not advocating for people to aim big - I'm telling you to still aim small. Forget about what your equipment will do. Draw, find the hair, crease, joint, whatever it is you aim at, aim at it, and let it fly focusing on that spot. Simply get in your tree, range everything around you and identify your 30 yard circle of death. Then put your rangefinder away and start posting on saddlehunter.com...with full confidence you'll make your shot when the time comes.

I won't tell you that as you get used to the method, and become proficient with your weapon, that you won't begin to have a feel/instinct, and change your point of aim some. I do. If a deer is at 10 yards, I know I'm going to be about 2" high. If I'm calm, the deer is still, there's no reason not to drop my pin a scooch (technical term for 2") and let it fly. But when things are happening fast, your instinct takes over. See deer, aim, shoot. Simple.

Here's the information for my exact bow (Mathews Heli-m, 30" draw, 70lb, 510gr arrow). It's been confirmed in the field many times (and reconfirmed in this video). Take note of the P.O.I. (point of impact) - the only number that matters. I couldn't fit 0-5 yards because of the size of the viewer in the program. But from 3-33 yards, I'm within 3" of zero (27 yards).

270trajectory.jpg

Shoot a crossbow? I don't know a ton about them, but apparently there's quite a few shooting north of 400fps. I did the calculations for 400fps, and with a 40 yard zero, 5-45 yards would hit within +/- 3" of point of aim. I won't tell people with a crossbow what to do. But if I were shooting one that fast, I'd set my scope for a 40 yard zero, and have a max range of 45 yards. I shoot a Hickory Creek Mini at about 300fps. I've got it's zero at 30 yards, and am +/-3" out to 35 yards. I typically still make a 30 yard circle of death with the rangefinder. But if one of those big ole rats with hooves decides to stand right behind that tree I ranged at 30, He's probably still coming on a truck ride.

Math is fun folks, and it can help you kill more deer. Keep it simple, keep it fun. Good luck this season!

Since your other post in July i took my other two pins off and have been using this method and it has been awesome. My pin is set for 26 yards and if i shoot under depending on the yardage i shoot a little lower. I also practice out to 30 yards and put my pin higher. I was skeptical at first but once i started practicing with it, it was easy.
Thank you for this. I will probably never go back to a multiple pin sight.

I was just thinking of going to a 90lb and an 11 pin sight....trying to strecth my effect killing range out to 85 yards................:grin::grin::grin:

Thanks for putting this out there @kyler1945. With all the crap that's put out on the internet and YouTube about archery these days it often gets lost that keeping things simple is effective... and of course you brought the math as proof with your fancy brainy numbers.

I’m relegated to a crossbow these days, but I shot one pin for 25 years. Made the decision early on after drawing back on a doe one day and in the heat of the moment could not remember if my 20 yd pin was the one on top or bottom. I have no explanation for why that happened, but after thinking about it I realized I had never taken a shot over 32 yds. Realized one pin would have worked fine for almost all of my shot opportunities and made the change and never found myself missing those other two pins.

This is somewhat off topic and a bit threadjacking but bear with me I'll bring it around; the above is exactly why I switched to an EZV sight. I got tired of fighting a forest of pins inside of 40 yards and since an EZV works off shooting by framing the vitals, it's almost instinctual. I'm glad you posted this as I prefer to shoot pin sights so I think I'll yank the pins off my old sight just leaving one and give her a go. Thanks for posting!

I have shot a single pin since around 1998, I think. No complaints here. Keep it simple.

8C44A805-7F6A-46A1-B9DA-43070F991A8B.jpeg

Had this deer try to climb in my ground set with me. Hard quartering to angle. At 7 yards, I held waiting for him to turn and offer broadside - knowing he was dead no matter what move he made, short of levitating out of my life...

He hit my ground scent and tensed up. I was confident in 125 exodus and 100gr ethics insert. Buried it to the fletching, taking out both lungs, heart, liver, and poking a hole at last rib on off side. Ran 85 yards and piled up.

I held where the green dot is. Single pin, from his entry in my shooting lane at 30 yards or so, I held in the same spot, never wondering which pin, or how much to hold over or under. Just focused, and when I knew it was now or never, let it fly with full confidence

I looked at this pic fast and maybe it was the way his legs were oriented but I could of swore it was a rabbit you shot. I had to double take haha. Congrats.

I looked at this pic fast and maybe it was the way his legs were oriented but I could of swore it was a rabbit you shot. I had to double take haha. Congrats.

I’ve killed two of those lately with the bow too haha!

Yup he ran 80 yards or so, then bedded down. That’s why his legs are folded.

I never shoot more than 30 yards with a bow or crossbow. But I like 20 yards better .

Back