• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Warm boots?

firehunter

Question for the masses. I have a pair of cabellas 1200 gram rubber boots and my feet froze last year even with heated insoles. Looking for recommendations on warm boots. I live in Wisconsin so it can get a bit nippy here. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had to bet, your feet sweat on your walk and cooled faster than your heated insoles could heat.

I don’t wear anything over 800 gram but ALWAYS wear a thick pair of merino wool socks due to their insulating property when wet. I also have heated insoles when the temps drop below freezing and use them well after my feet have had a chance to acclimate after walking/climbing.

Good socks are key

I hike in for hunting in Canada. I can be pretty cold. That said, some places I hike to I’m going to sweat. I pack extra clothes and change when I get there.
I wear pack boots. I’ll change my socks and bring a second set of boot liners.
I even bring a small towel if need be.

All sweaty stuff goes into a garbage bag and gets sealed.

Seems like a lot but sitting wet in the cold sucks.

If I had to bet, your feet sweat on your walk and cooled faster than your heated insoles could heat.

I don’t wear anything over 800 gram but ALWAYS wear a thick pair of merino wool socks due to their insulating property when wet. I also have heated insoles when the temps drop below freezing and use them well after my feet have had a chance to acclimate after walking/climbing.

Good socks are key

I agree on the socks. I do have some wool socks but I question the quality because they where cheap and I cant remember what they are made of but they do have some wool. lol

I hike in for hunting in Canada. I can be pretty cold. That said, some places I hike to I’m going to sweat. I pack extra clothes and change when I get there.
I wear pack boots. I’ll change my socks and bring a second set of boot liners.
I even bring a small towel if need be.

All sweaty stuff goes into a garbage bag and gets sealed.

Seems like a lot but sitting wet in the cold sucks.

Thats where I have issues. Most of the time I dont sweat to much on the way in but on the way up the tree and setting up is a different story. Kinda hard to change up in the tree. :laughing: With this being my first year in a saddle hopefully it will be less in all areas.

Question for the masses. I have a pair of cabellas 1200 gram rubber boots and my feet froze last year even with heated insoles. Looking for recommendations on warm boots. I live in Wisconsin so it can get a bit nippy here. Thanks in advance.

My process which works good in NH winters even with my rubbber UN-insulated boots is to put two hand warmers in my arctic shield boot covers as I pack to leave. I walk out and get climbed up and situated without my covers on. The walk out gets the blood flowing and my feet are warm. Then as soon as I’m settled in the tree I put on my arctic shields and they have warmed up real nice inside the boot covers during my walk in.

Then I’m toasty warm. Sometimes if I’m a real Girl Scout I’ll drop in a third Heater.

I hunt down to 30 all day in a thin pair of merino socks and goretex uninsulated hiking boots.

Properly sized boots, loosened when you get to your tree to allow sweat to evaporate and for good circulation, is key.

If you wear insulated boots on your walk in, you’ll sweat a lot. And most heavy insulated boots don’t breathe. They end up doing more harm than good in those long walks.

I can hunt into low 20’s with same boots and a liner sock with the merino’s.

If I’m hunting the teens, I lean instead of sitting to keep the blood pumping in my legs and feet. Can usually still make it 3-4 hours before I get uncomfortable due to the cold. I have a pair of heated insoles saved for that and anything below. But you’d be surprised how well a properly sized boot that breathes, and socks that breathe, will do. Circulation is key!

I’ve been wearing Irish Setter 1000 gram Elk Tracker leather boots for the last 3 years. I bought the extra wide so I can wear a thin pair of wool socks and a thicker pair of wool socks over top. If I have a long hike in I always carry an extra pair to change into.

I hunt down to 30 all day in a thin pair of merino socks and goretex uninsulated hiking boots.

Properly sized boots, loosened when you get to your tree to allow sweat to evaporate and for good circulation, is key.

If you wear insulated boots on your walk in, you’ll sweat a lot. And most heavy insulated boots don’t breathe. They end up doing more harm than good in those long walks.

I can hunt into low 20’s with same boots and a liner sock with the merino’s.

If I’m hunting the teens, I lean instead of sitting to keep the blood pumping in my legs and feet. Can usually still make it 3-4 hours before I get uncomfortable due to the cold. I have a pair of heated insoles saved for that and anything below. But you’d be surprised how well a properly sized boot that breathes, and socks that breathe, will do. Circulation is key!
Can't agree more. I also prefer ultralight boots like my Adidas Terrex, more high top running shoe than traditional boots, even down to the 20's. One thing to add on looseness/comfort... once I got away from lacing up my footwear in a standard fashion (using the lace points crossed all the way up), I am able to tweak the pressure points on my foot and that allows better circulation, thus warmer feet in winter. Lots of YouTube vids on different lacing techniques.

Insulated boot blankets.

I've tried using huge, super insulated boots, and have never found any that kept my feet warm. I would carry them in, change my socks, then put them on, still got cold feet. I would stuff them with every toe warmer invented, still cold feet.

Now, I wear in comfortable boots, and slip the boot blankets on over. If real cold, I put a handwarmer inside the boot blanket, on top of my boot toe. Actually have warm feet, and I can feel the heat of the handwarmer.

Cold feet is what sends me home. I've tried everything wool socks, alpaca socks, plastic bags, unscented deodorant, foot warmers. Last year my pack was loaded with foot warmers and one day in particular I realized the warmers were dying in my boots because they weren't getting enough air. I would take them out and put new ones in and put the old ones in my coat pocket and they would start warming up again. The rest of the day was spent swapping between boots and pockets. This year I just ordered some Wiggy Mukluks . I'm hoping these are the answers to my prayers. My plan is to carry them on the outside of my pack to my tree and when I get to where I want to be I'll change my socks, put the Mukluks on and keep my fingers crossed. I'll keep you posted.

Cold feet is what sends me home. I've tried everything wool socks, alpaca socks, plastic bags, unscented deodorant, foot warmers. Last year my pack was loaded with foot warmers and one day in particular I realized the warmers were dying in my boots because they weren't getting enough air. I would take them out and put new ones in and put the old ones in my coat pocket and they would start warming up again. The rest of the day was spent swapping between boots and pockets. This year I just ordered some Wiggy Mukluks . I'm hoping these are the answers to my prayers. My plan is to carry them on the outside of my pack to my tree and when I get to where I want to be I'll change my socks, put the Mukluks on and keep my fingers crossed. I'll keep you posted.

@rutjr did you get these yet? How are they? I have Neos Overshoes that are kind of loud. They stopped making the insulated ones too, so i don’t have those. This seems to be just what i have been looking for. Are the soles flat from heel to toe?

@redsquirrel sounds like what we were looking for.

They look warm but I think you’d have to leave them fairly loose or risk compressing the loft.
Can they be worn over regular hiking shoes? Dot they need the green liner?
How warm are they with just the outer black boot?
So many questions.....

They look warm but I think you’d have to leave them fairly loose or risk compressing the loft.
Can they be worn over regular hiking shoes? Dot they need the green liner?
How warm are they with just the outer black boot?
So many questions.....

They are made to be worn over regular boots, hiking boots included. The green booties are not required and boots or shoes are recommended since they are an overboot.

Back