• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Warm hunting clothing

Cmays

Hey peeps..looking to get new hunting clothing this year.I don't feel like refinancing the house for sitka. Someone told me to look at nomad any thoughts. Nomad, first light, or kuiu. Must be warm.

I was in the same boat. I ended up puchasing some down Kuiu layers and have been wearing them around - so far so good. They have kept me warm in single digit temps as long as you start with some core heat when you add them to your layering system. I am still looking for some merino mid and heavy base layers and will probably go first lite on those. I love both of these manufacturers offer full length side zip bottoms for adding and removing layers without having to take your boots on and off. Hope this helps.

Go with Kuiu super comfortable, as far as warmth goes you may want to get the super down ultra pants and coat and there around $300

X2 on the Kuiu Super Down - awesome for layering as a toasty mid layer in the bitter cold. Buy once, cry once!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If budget is an issue a really solid option imo is the natural gear winterceptor fleece pants and jacket. You can layer under them with a pair of fleece lined jeans and a base layer lower and base layer and a hoody upper and they will keep you warm down in to the upper teens. They are not as light as high end technical gear but they are warm and cost efficient.

How far do you have to walk to your tree? Do you primarily hunt morning or afternoon? I dress differently for each. Morning I go heavier cuz it's colder. Afternoon lighter cuz it's warmer and i'm hot by the time I get to my tree and it takes me a good couple hours to cool off. I don't have experience with the above brands. I use scentlok primarily cuz it fits me well. They're always having sales. Plan to layer. I would echo others and say get stuff that's windproof. In my experience that chills you the fastest. I have used minus 33 merino base layers in the past and really like them but they tear easily. I now use scentlok base layers (not starting a scent control fight) because they're more durable, fit me well and I usually only wear a base layer top to my tree as I'm super hot by the time I get there. Helps me cool down and helps a bit with scent management. Once cooled down I'll throw a scentlok jacket on or vest, weather situational. Not being a scentlok fan boy here, I have long arms and legs and their stuff seems to fit me well. Plus they always have sales and I can get other discounts due to military service. I find their clothing to be comfortable and have no issues with their customer service.
@BTaylor mentioned the Nat Gear Winterceptor. That is some really good kit. The Nat Gear guys are awesome, I've called and chatted with them and they'll take the time to help you figure out what you need. The Winterceptor line is currently hard side fleece but they're going back to the poofier style it used to be which I found bulky so might wanna take that into consideration.

Natgear has the best pattern imo and they are located right here in Little Rock, but their gear is not high quality. The sizing is extremely inconsistent. I have their fleece vest and had to get it in a small...a year later got the full zip fleece and had to get it in a large.

After a lot of research and long conversations with a hunting buddy that swears by it, I have started putting together a lineup of Kuiu gear. So far I have the attack pants and the strongfleece 1/4 zip T. I love the fit and feel of them but haven’t had a chance to test them in the elements. They are really lightweight and packable, which is a big benefit to the mobile hunter. Their pricing is quite reasonable as well when compared to Sitka and FirstLite. I signed up for their email list and got $50 off my first order of $250 plus free shipping. They also just ran a Presidents Day sale and I picked up another piece at 25% off. If you are patient, you can get a good lineup without ever paying full price.

My natgear collection will be strictly relegated to duck hunting from now on. That stuff flat out disappears in the hardwood bottoms around here.

I wouldn't leave out Cabelas brand. I only own 1 piece of their clothing but its a pair of bibs that unless its less than 10 degrees you cant walk to the stand in them. They were originally over $200 and got them for $125.

Reactions: swd
Back