• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Warmest clothes

tgoodson1814

I have a hard time trying to stay warm here in Ky at times while I’m in the stand and I’m looking for some new clothing ...what does everyone suggest ?? I’m looking for something that is super warm but isn’t very bulky as I am only a bow hunter and I don’t want a lot of bulk since I am going to be doing a lot of saddle hunting ...element , Sitka , first lite ?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone is going to tell you the same thing. Layers. Because it works. You probably already have everything you need. If not, hit up REI garage sale or steep and cheap online for lightweight merino baselayer and down puffy. Wind proof outer layer for sure.

I’m in KY as well and in the past have struggled as well. Merino base layers, puffy vest midlayer, and a good wind proof outer layer. These don’t have to be expensive. My puffy vest is one my wife found at old navy for 10 bucks. I hunted this weekend with only a base layer, that vest and my coat and actually got too warm.
Ive also learned that a neck gaiter helps tremendously, especially if you place one of those HotHands in it on the back of your neck.

wool of any kind
layers
block wind
avoid sweating
military surplus clothing (always cheap, often very warm)
chemical warmers
...and throw in a dash of toughness. You are in Kentucky not Kugluktuk

Love Marino base layers. I also carry a puffy vest, works awesome. Last year I got a Pnuma electric vest. This is great for the days especially in northern Maine where I primarily still hunt/ scout and then I can sit for a couple hours and stay warm without the bulk.

My first year using Sitka. Im impressed and its been windy and cold here in Michigan. Ive yet to break out the warm stuff(fanitic jacket/bibs). Been using their light weight base core top/bottoms, fanatic hoody, celcius midi as needed, with stratus jacket and bibs. Wearing equinox pants on the walk out. Yes its pricey, but Ive forgotten about the cost since using it.

A tip I remember reading way back in the day from John Eberhart (when it was an email subscriber list) was to buy the chemical packs that had the peel and stick. Place them right over your first layer. One over your heart and one over each kidney. This helps to warm the blood as it circulates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not cheap, but not crazy expensive: Rivers West Ambush jacket and bibs. Outside is a thin fleece that is quiet. Then a waterproof/windproof layer. They say it is breathable, but it isn't that much, however that is what makes it actually, totally water and windproof. Inner layer is very thick berber fleece. I was on stand yesterday with this in 30 F and steady wind of 15 to 20 mph (started gusting so much I got down early). It was my only layer over a very thin polypro baselayer and I was totally warm. I am cold natured being tall and low body fat. You cannot walk any distance in this thing and not get hot.

I think the takeaway for me is: until we have climate controlled suits (like NASA) a total system that you can wear walking and also sitting still doesn't exist (it's just thermodynamics). You have to dress in layers and you have to pack in up to half your stuff. I know it is about right when I get out of the truck I should think "Should I put on another layer to walk?" and then don't. When I am packing my pack with layers it is about right when I think "I don't think I really need this extra layer" and then bring it.

A tip I remember reading way back in the day from John Eberhart (when it was an email subscriber list) was to buy the chemical packs that had the peel and stick. Place them right over your first layer. One over your heart and one over each kidney. This helps to warm the blood as it circulates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, this will add the feeling of at least 1 more thick layer. I do one on each side high kidneys to where I can push down with my arms at times and make them make stronger contact (low arm pit area). If needed, I'll also put one right below my heart on the liver. I get them for $5 for 8 at wally world, so you could put all 8 on in a pinch.

These are also the best to put on your boots inside boot blankets because they stay put right over your toe. Yaktrax brand is more hit and miss, some are duds/not warm but some are really warm. Hot Hands is more consistent and warm enough.

These are keeping me from buying a heated vest right now.

Shiver Shield is an option (not cheap though).
I have not used it but did some searching in the past, I hear it is super warm and not overly bulky. It uses aerogel insulation (2mm I think) at the core, again no experience but have had thoughts of trying the pants out.

Wool base layers have changed my hunting this year. Fell in a creek, took them off, rung them out, put them back on and finished my hunt at 40*. My outer layers stayed dry as they were in my pack, and the wool kept me warm even when damp. Before you buy anything else, buy wool base layers. ive been using meriwool products.

Wool base layers have changed my hunting this year. Fell in a creek, took them off, rung them out, put them back on and finished my hunt at 40*. My outer layers stayed dry as they were in my pack, and the wool kept me warm even when damp. Before you buy anything else, buy wool base layers. ive been using meriwool products.

That's some Chuck Norris stuff. I would've immediately turned around and went home!

Seems all the info you need is right here.

My recent rut trip, I made 6 mostly all day sits before tagging out. Each day starting in the mid 30's - low 40's. I hiked in with a Patagonia pant (polyester mostly, nothing special) and a polyester top. I want to pull as much sweat from my body as possible. This works well for me in the mtns, there is no way around sweating. For footwear, I rarely where anything but a non insulated hiker. I spray my feet with scent free deodorant, a nylon liner sock and a Darn tough boot sock. When I get set up, the poly top comes off and goes into a zip lock bag. I check my socks for dampness and change if necessary. Other than that, I start layering as I cool down, 200g Merino top, a waffle top, a polypro or merino pullover and my outer shell that is basically just a wind stop and water resistant. Even in the 30's I rarely put any layers on my legs, im weird I guess. But stick on foot warmers, a neck gaiter, thick fleece hat, thin liner gloves and im good for all day. My boots wet or not go on the boot dryer every night. The name of the game is to stay dry, block wind and manage core body temps.

Need to think of it as a layering system, where each piece complements the others.

For your base layer you first need to decide if you want wool or synthetic. Synthetic dries much faster and is more durable. Wool has a better warmth to weight and resists odor better. Comes down to personal preference really though. For my longest walks in I like to where a synthetic next to skin and then add wool over the top once im to my set.

Mid layer can be an insulated piece (down or synthetic) or just a heavier wool/synthetic layer.

Outer layer needs to at least cut the wind or be wind proof. You'll want an insulated jacket if you opted for a non-insulated mid layer.

I hunt southern MO & northern AR, so I'd bet we are hunting similar conditions and that outline above works great for me.

In addition to what others have said, fleece cold weather wading pants are a great layer to add. I have Redingtons and they have a thin strap that goes under your arch so when you put pants over em they don’t bunch up around your calf or knee, they really help keep your legs warm.

I have a set of columbia wool bibs and jacket that I can't even wear, because to me it's too warm. I'll be selling it before long.

Filson Mackinaw Field Pants. these are Da bomb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arctic Shield makes a parka that will keep me warm down to the 20s and 30s with nothing on underneath it but a t shirt. That thing is freakishly warm, water and windproof, and quiet...but heavy. It's kinda been relegated to icy boat rides for me. It was maybe 100 bucks

I agree with Rivers West stuff being super warm and awesome. Not as heavy as Arctic Shield and also not expensive.

But the best I've personally used is a Browning Hell's Canyon Parka that retailed for like 300 bucks and I got it clearanced with an employee discount for like 50. It's a water/wind proof shell with a primaloft "puffy jacket" liner. I have definitely gotten 300 dollars worth of use out of it and would replace it with a similar one in a heartbeat. I can wear it bow season all the way through our coldest (20s and 30s) weather and just change my base layer under it. The detachable liner means you kinda get to carry out outer and mid layer in one piece, which is nice.

I've found that a huge advantage to Yoder's chaps is that when it's cold, wet, or windy, you can roll them up and it takes care of your legs. I never wear heavy pants now because of that. A good parka and toboggan takes care of your core/head, the yoder's handle your legs, and then it's just a matter of your feet. I usually apply antiperspirant to my feet, then a nylon dress sock, then lightweight wool socks, and then uninsulated rubber boots.

Oh, and a little testosterone helps too. Man up and bear it!

Back