• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wasteful hunters

Status
Not open for further replies.

FORESTER

I found these three deer Monday, with the only meat removed was the hindquarters, not even the backstraps were removed. They also removed the antlers from the small bodied buck. This was in NY, Allegheny State Park, Gun season started Saturday, they looked to be from Saturday. These was about a quarter mile from the road, down hill slightly, so no excuse too far back. I turned it in to the NY Department of Conservation with GPS coordinates. Not sure if they will do anything if it is illegal or just plain unethical. The regs say you can debone the meat in the field, they did not even do that. In all my years hunting lucky this is the only time I found somebody so lazy and wasteful.

Picture deleted by staff with Approval from OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never understood this. I enjoy hunting, not just killing. In fact, as I've gotten older, the actual harvest is less important to me than executing a good hunt. I get my thrill knowing I have made the right decisions/moves and put myself in a place where I could have taken an animal. If I'm going to complete the harvest its entirely for the meat.

That’s really upsetting. These days with the job market doing so poor, it’s becoming harder for so many people to put decent nourishing food on the table. That would’ve packed someone’s freezer.
Makes my blood boil.

I don't condone or in any way think what they did is acceptable.

I also don't think it a good idea to post these kind of things on openly accessible forums like this one. Anti-hunters could easily use this against all legal hunters.
Touché

I fortunately haven’t come across anything like this and would never even think of doing anything of the sort. Doesn’t make much sense to me to just cut the Backstraps out and be done with it, you’re leaving some of the best roast cuts! Plus the burger from the scraps. Call me crazy but if you’re going to take the life of the animal you owe it to them to not let any of it go to waste.

What is surprising is the ignorance. If you didn't want the meat there are venison donation places all over the state. You just tag it, field dress it and take it to the affiliated butcher shop and that's it! In addition, NY now has a wanton waste law on the books and this clearly is wasteful. What a shame and embarrassment. ASP is an awesome state park too and its huge... something like 55,000 acres and then just to the south in PA is the Alleghany National Forest.

I don't condone or in any way think what they did is acceptable.

I also don't think it a good idea to post these kind of things on openly accessible forums like this one. Anti-hunters could easily use this against all legal hunters.
I believe you make a good point. But you have me wondering... what is an effective way to police our own ranks? Assholes like this give hunters a bad name. I think posting something like this and calling it out for what it is *could* be a way of deterring this kind of behavior. Sure it could be used against legal hunters. But it could also be used as evidence that acts like this stem from a few bad apples and provoke an angry response, even among hunters.

I believe you make a good point. But you have me wondering... what is an effective way to police our own ranks? Assholes like this give hunters a bad name. I think posting something like this and calling it out for what it is *could* be a way of deterring this kind of behavior. Sure it could be used against legal hunters. But it could also be used as evidence that acts like this stem from a few bad apples and provoke an angry response, even among hunters.

Scold them in person every chance you get.

Report them to authorities every chance you get.

Tear this behavior down every chance you get. Especially in the off-season if something gets said sympathetic, even between friends.

On the public internet with pics? Not in our best interests.

I shot a buck in ASP Saturday, but I did full gutless method like an elk and it was closer to 1.5 miles in. All 4 quarters, backstraps, tenderloins, neck roasts, and head came out with me. I'm going to shoot you a PM.

Last edited:
This is disgusting, IMHO.
The problem with keeping these things private is the problem is then hidden from view and does not exist.
With CWD on the rise, PA is now OK with leaving the carcass in a CWD area to avoid the spread.

To the OP, and to anyone clutching their pearls over this, what did you DO to decrease this type of behavior today?

someone mentioned not posting this in a forum, and I agree for the obvious reason that people with much different motivations than those of hunters can use it.

but I also find it irritating for a much less obvious reason. You don’t need to prove you’re on team hunter or team Saddlehunter. We get it - you’re a good guy. You’re on the good team. Stop trying to convince people of it with your words. Go DO something about the problem you seem to want to take the moral high ground over.

congratulations, you’ve convinced us you’re good. And in the process left information in perpetuity for people who are against your favorite thing to do, to use against you at will. Hope it was worth it.

To the OP, and to anyone clutching their pearls over this, what did you DO to decrease this type of behavior today?

someone mentioned not posting this in a forum, and I agree for the obvious reason that people with much different motivations than those of hunters can use it.

but I also find it irritating for a much less obvious reason. You don’t need to prove you’re on team hunter or team Saddlehunter. We get it - you’re a good guy. You’re on the good team. Stop trying to convince people of it with your words. Go DO something about the problem you seem to want to take the moral high ground over.

congratulations, you’ve convinced us you’re good. And in the process left information in perpetuity for people who are against your favorite thing to do, to use against you at will. Hope it was worth it.
Tell us what you did. Maybe we could do the same.

I haven't seen any gut piles or drag marks or carcasses in the area I hunt. I've been there every week for almost 2 months. I better find another area to hunt.

Yeesh. Settle down man. I agree that its better to keep these pics off the internet (same with deer with arrows in their face or other similar stuff).....but the OP is hardly deserving of this level of condemnation.

Yeesh. Settle down man. I agree that its better to keep these pics off the internet (same with deer with arrows in their face or other similar stuff).....but the OP is hardly deserving of this level of condemnation.
He might as well get used to it. Skin thickening exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back