• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

WE steps

KRN

Advice on securing we steps on popplar trees ??

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Is the bark too thick? On thicker barked trees it will take some adjusting, I dont think there is any way around it (tighten cam it over, uncam, tighten rope, cam, repeat as necessary). I would also say to try and get the step as high above the rope as you can before camming over. It may slip a little when you put weight on it. The good thing with thicker bark is it is usually easier to get the cleats to bite once you pull it up above the rope letting you cam it over. On thin barked trees without any bite you just rake it down the tree. Not sure if this answers anything for you.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Reactions: KRN
Is the bark too thick? On thicker barked trees it will take some adjusting, I dont think there is any way around it (tighten cam it over, uncam, tighten rope, cam, repeat as necessary). I would also say to try and get the step as high above the rope as you can before camming over. It may slip a little when you put weight on it. The good thing with thicker bark is it is usually easier to get the cleats to bite once you pull it up above the rope letting you cam it over. On thin barked trees without any bite you just rake it down the tree. Not sure if this answers anything for you.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk
Just can't seem to get them all tight, some will just slip down when I step on the step. Usually thin bark trees, last Friday the tree was wet and kinda icey, it was scary.

Just can't seem to get them all tight, some will just slip down when I step on the step. Usually thin bark trees, last Friday the tree was wet and kinda icey, it was scary.

I’ve been having similar problems with my WE steps. Seems no matter how tight I get them it’s never enough. At least a couple inevitably loosen. I just learned that apparently the ropes need to be stretched out for 24 hours. If you can them down as tight as you can on the largest tree you can, thus does the trick. I haven’t done that yet and guess I’ll give it a shot. I really like them but want to feel like I can rely on them. I’m just not there yet I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ropes do stretch a bit when you are first using them. I have also had some issues with trees that have flat spots on them. I have had to move the step around to a round part of the tree so both cleats are touching the tree with the same pressure. But again, those ropes do stretch at the beginning.

Ok. Good to know. I’ll give that a shot before giving up. Thanks!

I’m following this topic. I’m seriously considering some but I’ve heard reports of people having difficulty on some trees depending upon the type of bark.

I can tell you I’ve had success testing the steps out on a smooth light pole. Bark might be an issue but I have to think it will work on almost any kind of bark if I got this to work. In hind sight I’m thinking the stretch issue might have been a factor when it slipped on me. Because it does it to me regardless of the kind of tree bark. It doesn’t slip all of the time either. Only once in a while.
75cd46827a62232303757973140fddcf.jpg

So I've been praising these WE steps since I bought them and they worked in every tree I've tried them in until this past weekend. I was in a wet area that had nothing but silver maples to set up in. I COULD NOT get these steps tight against the tree. They would cam over, feel solid, I'd step on and they would slip down and loosen up. I wanted to throw them across the field. Yes, the bark on these silver maples is loose contributing to some of the slipping. That being said, I honestly dont believe there is a one size fits all for climbing. I like the WE Stepps for packability, stability, ease of going up less than perfect trees, etc. If I would've had my sticks, I could've gotten up the tree but there goes the ease of packing. I guess my advice is to have a couple different methods, hopefully you can scout the area before and have a climbing plan for the tree picked out. I ended up sitting on the ground.

@Jtaylor very wise words!

I got very good at using the steps this summer and could feel how tight I would need the ropes as I put them on. PRACTICE x 100! I ran into a couple of situations where the irregular shape or bumps on the tree forced me to put them outside of my desired spacing and became an issue for the knaider/swaider. That was just ok and I could work around it and live with it for the most part.

The issue that caused me to sell mine and seek other options was muddy boots. In several tests, the slippery mud on my boots caused my boots to slip off while standing on the step with both feet while attaching the next step. It happened several times. It did not happen on the crossbar with a single boot. That was it for me. I cannot force my boots off the Heliums, no matter how muddy they get.

I'm not advocating not using them if you want to, just be aware of their flaws too. With everything saddle hunting, choose lightweight, compact, reliable use, comfortable, or simplicity, but you can't have all of them in one product.

I got very good at using the steps this summer and could feel how tight I would need the ropes as I put them on. PRACTICE x 100! I ran into a couple of situations where the irregular shape or bumps on the tree forced me to put them outside of my desired spacing and became an issue for the knaider/swaider. That was just ok and I could work around it and live with it for the most part.

The issue that caused me to sell mine and seek other options was muddy boots. In several tests, the slippery mud on my boots caused my boots to slip off while standing on the step with both feet while attaching the next step. It happened several times. It did not happen on the crossbar with a single boot. That was it for me. I cannot force my boots off the Heliums, no matter how muddy they get.

I'm not advocating not using them if you want to, just be aware of their flaws too. With everything saddle hunting, choose lightweight, compact, reliable use, comfortable, or simplicity, but you can't have all of them in one product.

Thanks for sharing. I’m new to the Wild Edge steps. I’ve been thinking about the situation you describe. I was thinking about wrapping the crossbar with grip tape. Any thoughts on using grip tape?

I agree with the WE stepps. Reason I ended up letting mine go. But, I gotta disagree on the last part of your statement. I absolutely love my ultra light stick I built using parts from DanO. I can now get up any tree to any height I want without having to add additional weight. At being only 21" long, weighing in at less than 2.5lbs, it fits perfectly against my backpack for hauling in and out of the woods. IMO it does fit the bill of being lightweight, compact, reliable, comfortable and simple to use.

Thanks for sharing. I’m new to the Wild Edge steps. I’ve been thinking about the situation you describe. I was thinking about wrapping the crossbar with grip tape. Any thoughts on using grip tape?

The crossbar was fine, it was the two arcs up top that were slippery with muddy boots. The tape may help some, but in my case, it was the lugs filled with mud to the point there was not much between my hiking boots and step except slippery mud. Most of the sticks out there have more of a blade for a step that cuts through the mud.

I agree with the WE stepps. Reason I ended up letting mine go. But, I gotta disagree on the last part of your statement. I absolutely love my ultra light stick I built using parts from DanO. I can now get up any tree to any height I want without having to add additional weight. At being only 21" long, weighing in at less than 2.5lbs, it fits perfectly against my backpack for hauling in and out of the woods. IMO it does fit the bill of being lightweight, compact, reliable, comfortable and simple to use.
Were on the same page, I just wish my sticks could fold down to 5" and then extend for climbing. Not asking for too much!

So I've been praising these WE steps since I bought them and they worked in every tree I've tried them in until this past weekend. I was in a wet area that had nothing but silver maples to set up in. I COULD NOT get these steps tight against the tree. They would cam over, feel solid, I'd step on and they would slip down and loosen up. I wanted to throw them across the field. Yes, the bark on these silver maples is loose contributing to some of the slipping. That being said, I honestly dont believe there is a one size fits all for climbing. I like the WE Stepps for packability, stability, ease of going up less than perfect trees, etc. If I would've had my sticks, I could've gotten up the tree but there goes the ease of packing. I guess my advice is to have a couple different methods, hopefully you can scout the area before and have a climbing plan for the tree picked out. I ended up sitting on the ground.

My experience with the steps has been really similar to yours. And I did want to throw them too. I’m still on the fence about them. I need to feel secure about what I’m doing to have a good time at it and if I can’t get the steps to be reliable, especially after the stretching thing, I think they’ll have to go away.

I’ve been in the trap of trying to get all of those perks too. Finding out fast that it just doesn’t exist. Not yet anyway. I’m choosing comfort and reliability and will put up with a slightly bigger set up with slightly more weight. Thinking of getting the lone wolf sticks again. Maybe will try the helium’s every raves about. Anyone have thought on either climbing system? Recommend one over the other? Reasons?

I no longer use my WE steps. Three strikes or incidents and they were out. Can't take anymore chances with them. I got some slight injuries afraid the next one could be a bad one. I wanted them to work just no longer trust myself using them.

I’ve been in the trap of trying to get all of those perks too. Finding out fast that it just doesn’t exist. Not yet anyway. I’m choosing comfort and reliability and will put up with a slightly bigger set up with slightly more weight. Thinking of getting the lone wolf sticks again. Maybe will try the helium’s every raves about. Anyone have thought on either climbing system? Recommend one over the other? Reasons?

Heliums are about as good as you can get for the price. They are easily modified and provide good value. I alao prefer them over LW or XOP due to having double steps.

I no longer use my WE steps. Three strikes or incidents and they were out. Can't take anymore chances with them. I got some slight injuries afraid the next one could be a bad one. I wanted them to work just no longer trust myself using them.

I’m about to that point with them myself.

Heliums are about as good as you can get for the price. They are easily modified and provide good value. I alao prefer them over LW or XOP due to having double steps.

Cool. Good to know. I really like the double step deal. That was the original reason I sold the LW sticks. I really wanted the double step option. Maybe I’ll give the helium’s a try this time. Thanks!

Back