• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

WESTERN HUNTING

NWSADDLEHNTR

Hello All,
I am new to the thought of saddle hunting, never tree stand hunted or ground blind hunted. having said that I hunt elk in an area of about 4 acres amongst thousands of national forest acres in Washington state. The area I have is year in and out a natural crossing from water to bedding. I know the typical spots they cross but it can change a little from year to year, even day to day. Usually I just lay down and sleep until I hear them coming as the area is usually very dry, then I stalk after them. The stalk is usually no more than 100 yards. being on the ground makes it easy to move.
My question is when using the DRT method (as right now that is what I am favoring trying first) how quickly and quietly can you descend the tree if you need to go on foot to stalk? Does anyone else get down to stalk deer/elk/bear or whatever?
also when using DRT, when you loop your climbing rope over the branch and then around the trunk, how thick should the branch usually be?
Thanks
also, I've never known of anyone on the west coast to use a saddle, has anyone else?

Hello All,
I am new to the thought of saddle hunting, never tree stand hunted or ground blind hunted. having said that I hunt elk in an area of about 4 acres amongst thousands of national forest acres in Washington state. The area I have is year in and out a natural crossing from water to bedding. I know the typical spots they cross but it can change a little from year to year, even day to day. Usually I just lay down and sleep until I hear them coming as the area is usually very dry, then I stalk after them. The stalk is usually no more than 100 yards. being on the ground makes it easy to move.
My question is when using the DRT method (as right now that is what I am favoring trying first) how quickly and quietly can you descend the tree if you need to go on foot to stalk? Does anyone else get down to stalk deer/elk/bear or whatever?
also when using DRT, when you loop your climbing rope over the branch and then around the trunk, how thick should the branch usually be?
Thanks
also, I've never known of anyone on the west coast to use a saddle, has anyone else?
Everything you want to know about DRT climbing go on YouTube and check out New York saddle hunters.
NY saddle hunters, these two guys are awesome ( Joe & Scott ) , Scott has tons of years in the arborist industry.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site. There aren't many saddle hunters out west. If you look at the saddle hunter map (use the search function) you will see there are very few west of the Mississippi and even fewer west of the Missouri river, but they do exist, I think......kinda like sasquatch.

Welcome to the site. There aren't many saddle hunters out west. If you look at the saddle hunter map (use the search function) you will see there are very few west of the Mississippi and even fewer west of the Missouri river, but they do exist, I think......kinda like sasquatch.
It does look that way, still looking for sasquatch too!! Well, I hope to start this year with it. It looks like lots of fun if you have the right spot and i have a few for elk but need to try and find some better area's for deer.
Thanks

Hello All,
Thanks
I am a planning on getting back to some deer hunting after a long break (WI native, moved to NW back in '90) and planning on the investment of an H2 saddle. Purchased my sticks last month and will be adding necessities soon. Did some scouting a few weeks ago on DNR land when we had some snow which was helpful. Might end up still hunting as well to mix things up. Hoping to get some climbing practice in a few months from now. This is a great forum for tips, etc!

I am a planning on getting back to some deer hunting after a long break (WI native, moved to NW back in '90) and planning on the investment of an H2 saddle. Purchased my sticks last month and will be adding necessities soon. Did some scouting a few weeks ago on DNR land when we had some snow which was helpful. Might end up still hunting as well to mix things up. Hoping to get some climbing practice in a few months from now. This is a great forum for tips, etc!
I was thinking of using saddle hunting for elk for where they normally cross to the bedding area, but if they cross too far away, let them pass then stalk them. usually I just lie down and wait for them, then stalk them from down wind. i've had good success at this but really like the idea of the saddle hunting as I don't think I would get busted as much if I can be patient enough to wait. are you thinking mostly for deer? Elk? or both?

Past hunting (mind you this is years ago in WI) was from a traditional stand. I am just getting back to it before the years sneak up on me. Only deer for me. Being elevated may give you better opportunity or at least a vantage point as ground level brush is a concern of mine. I may saddle morning & later afternoon and then mix in some mid-day still/stalk hunt if the rut has things moving?

You can rappel down pretty quietly. I don't believe noisy elk would mind for sure. As long as the limb is alive and bigger than I can get both hands around Im ok using it though I don't know what the rule of thumb is.

You can rappel down pretty quietly. I don't believe noisy elk would mind for sure. As long as the limb is alive and bigger than I can get both hands around Im ok using it though I don't know what the rule of thumb is.
ok thanks ill have to look for that after the snow melts as the area I hunt is about 4500ft level.

Back