• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

rockymountaineer

Hey guys, so I'm trying to get into saddle hunting for my archery elk hunt this fall, and wanted y'alls opinion. So I'm thinking about getting either a Phantom or a Cruzr Archon for my saddle kit, and I was wondering if someone had experience with either and/or both and if they could compare them. I'd also like to know if anyone could give me some guidance on if should I go the one stick/rappel method or the multiple sticks way. My main thing is that where I hunt (like most places), you have to be up and going pretty quick and in the right spot right when that sun starts to peek over the mountains, so I need a system that is pretty quick and easy to get me up into the tree, so that I'm not spending a good length of time on the ground prepping stuff. I also don't want to pack in a whole lot because I do have to hike up and down the mountains to get to some of these spots. The big dilemma for me right now is trying to decide between the one stick or the multiple sticks. I like the one stick more, because it looks lighter and I wouldn't have to make another hike in the day before to set up sticks. But is it as quick as just having multiple sticks setup beforehand? Would it be a better idea for me to use multiple sticks for a faster ascent? What are some estimated costs for each too? Anything is helpful thanks guys!
(P.S. if there are any western hunters out there let me know what you guys do setup wise and maybe some tips and tricks, like I said, I'm brand new and need all the helpful tips I can get, thanks again!)

I will take a poke at this 1. I bow hunted Colorado for elk last year. We were hunting at about 9000 to 10000'. There were a lot of Aspen trees in this area at this elevation. There are not very many branches on those Aspen trees. I brought my tethered Phantom and a set of wild edge steps. I mostly just ended up using my Phantom as a convenient ground seat, kind of like the old sit drag. If I were to start over and do it again, I would use a tethered Phantom and use the 2 tether climbing system made out of amsteel blue for its ultralight carrying capability. I would also use a ring of steps, preferably squirrel steps from eastern wood's outdoors. Ultra lightweight, small package. I think you could get the whole saddle and climbing system to be under 4 pounds with this method. You would only need minimal carabiners and 1 amsteel rope bow hangar. You probably only need one pouch to carry everything in also. Sorry about my punctuation but I am doing voice to text on my phone. I have also used the cruiser Archeron and although it is bulkier than the Phantom, it is more comfortable to me. Wild edge steps sank into the aspens too much for me to feel super comfortable with them.
Good luck!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Where are you located? I’m in Colorado. If you are close you are more than welcome to try my gear. I have a phantom, TX5 on the way and will be trying to pick up an Overwatch. I have beast and Hawk sticks. Maybe trying to grab some of the new catalyst too.

Last edited:
Where are you located? I’m in Colorado. If you are close you are more than welcome to try my gear. I have a phantom, TX5 on the way and will be trying to pick up an Overwatch. I have beast and Hawk sticks. Maybe trying to grab some of the new catalyst too.
I'm out in Utah, so not really that close haha, but thanks for the generosity!

I will take a poke at this 1. I bow hunted Colorado for elk last year. We were hunting at about 9000 to 10000'. There were a lot of Aspen trees in this area at this elevation. There are not very many branches on those Aspen trees. I brought my tethered Phantom and a set of wild edge steps. I mostly just ended up using my Phantom as a convenient ground seat, kind of like the old sit drag. If I were to start over and do it again, I would use a tethered Phantom and use the 2 tether climbing system made out of amsteel blue for its ultralight carrying capability. I would also use a ring of steps, preferably squirrel steps from eastern wood's outdoors. Ultra lightweight, small package. I think you could get the whole saddle and climbing system to be under 4 pounds with this method. You would only need minimal carabiners and 1 amsteel rope bow hangar. You probably only need one pouch to carry everything in also. Sorry about my punctuation but I am doing voice to text on my phone. I have also used the cruiser Archeron and although it is bulkier than the Phantom, it is more comfortable to me. Wild edge steps sank into the aspens too much for me to feel super comfortable with them.
Good luck!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks man! I'll look into all that gear!

Tethrd has a teach and train in Utah this year. I would think that would be educational for a beginner.

I plan to take my setup out this fall. I am going to platform climb but would would encourage looking at the 2TC system as well to cut weight for climbing those hills out there.

I plan to take my setup out this fall. I am going to platform climb but would would encourage looking at the 2TC system as well to cut weight for climbing those hills out there.
I did look at the 2TC system, while light, I'm honestly a bit skeptical of it. It definitely would fit my needs, but honestly, from the video I watched, I'm (probably) overconcerned about falling out of the tree haha

For elk I’m using four beast sticks and a predator platform. That system is about 12# and very do able. I’m going to try some other sticks and hope to get around 8#. I can get about 15’ up and that seems to be good. Either way I go, the weight is manageable even if I’m packing an elk out. My first spot is about 2 miles and 1500’ in elevation gain.

I did look at the 2TC system, while light, I'm honestly a bit skeptical of it. It definitely would fit my needs, but honestly, from the video I watched, I'm (probably) overconcerned about falling out of the tree haha
Not going to fall out of the tree unless your main tether or the tree breaks. If either of those happen we are screwed no matter what method of climbing is being used. Practice low hunt high.

Years ago I found a spot that had 5 wallows on top of the mountain, all within 60 yds of one tree.. It's the only water up there. For years I've been saying I was going to treestand hunt that spot. Problem is, it's 4 miles in. With a saddle, I can now hunt that spot effectively.

Hey guys, so I'm trying to get into saddle hunting for my archery elk hunt this fall, and wanted y'alls opinion. So I'm thinking about getting either a Phantom or a Cruzr Archon for my saddle kit, and I was wondering if someone had experience with either and/or both and if they could compare them. I'd also like to know if anyone could give me some guidance on if should I go the one stick/rappel method or the multiple sticks way. My main thing is that where I hunt (like most places), you have to be up and going pretty quick and in the right spot right when that sun starts to peek over the mountains, so I need a system that is pretty quick and easy to get me up into the tree, so that I'm not spending a good length of time on the ground prepping stuff. I also don't want to pack in a whole lot because I do have to hike up and down the mountains to get to some of these spots. The big dilemma for me right now is trying to decide between the one stick or the multiple sticks. I like the one stick more, because it looks lighter and I wouldn't have to make another hike in the day before to set up sticks. But is it as quick as just having multiple sticks setup beforehand? Would it be a better idea for me to use multiple sticks for a faster ascent? What are some estimated costs for each too? Anything is helpful thanks guys!
(P.S. if there are any western hunters out there let me know what you guys do setup wise and maybe some tips and tricks, like I said, I'm brand new and need all the helpful tips I can get, thanks again!)
Not a western hunter but have experience with both saddles you mentioned and different climbing methods. I would choose the Archon without a doubt and one sticking with a top platform and a 2 or 3 step aider. If your not a two panel person the Cruzr XC would be my next choice. Good luck!

Years ago I found a spot that had 5 wallows on top of the mountain, all within 60 yds of one tree.. It's the only water up there. For years I've been saying I was going to treestand hunt that spot. Problem is, it's 4 miles in. With a saddle, I can now hunt that spot effectively.
Yup, I'm in a similar boat. I've gotten real into bow hunting and I know where lots of great wallows are, and I didn't want to have to pack in a treestand into any of them

Not a western hunter but have experience with both saddles you mentioned and different climbing methods. I would choose the Archon without a doubt and one sticking with a top platform and a 2 or 3 step aider. If your not a two panel person the Cruzr XC would be my next choice. Good luck!
I think that's what I'll do, but would you recommend a two-panel to a guy that has never saddle hunted before? I like that I could fiddle with the Archon until I get it absolutely perfect, but in your opinion do you think that might be too much for a newbie?

I think that's what I'll do, but would you recommend a two-panel to a guy that has never saddle hunted before? I like that I could fiddle with the Archon until I get it absolutely perfect, but in your opinion do you think that might be too much for a newbie?
I think you would be extremely happy with the ARCHON. The 2 panel will definitely give you more adjustments to get comfortable.

I can’t imagine being in the mountains elk hunting, and tying myself to a tree.

I hunt mostly in the mountains and there are times being in one spot is better. Wallows and travel corridors are very effective but never thought of a tree stand due to the weight. The saddle set up changes that.

Back