• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What’s everyone taking to the woods this year?

shamus275

SH Member
Just curious what everyone is hunting with this season...as of right now, I’m taking my VPA Riser w/Uukha limbs to the woods, 56” amo, 40@28”. D97 16-strand bowstring. My arrows are 29” Black Eagle Instinct 600 arrows w/ Ethics Archery 135gr inserts and Magnus 125gr 2-blades. Makes for a 510gr arrow.
I may swap my other Uukha limbs on to gain a few extra pounds so 42@28 but I’m shooting this current setup better than I ever have so that’s where my confidence lies at the moment. D330BB42-D601-4B84-8AEC-A58FE39F6117.jpeg

Bear Kuma 30, 70#/29”. Black Eagle Slayers 300 with Magnus Stingers 125gr.
I’ll was thinking a little more along the Traditional lines...even though I do have a Prime on standby.

Last edited:
I've been shooting a Samick Sage 40# every day, and am also waiting on a Timberhawk Strike to finish being made and deliver. This will be my first year with traditional gear and I'm very excited.

xx75 gamegetters with zwickey eskilites (145 gn) on the front, finishing out at 533 grains. I still need to figure out a quiver but that'll happen later.

I never leave home without it...

61DCy78gg0L._AC_UL480_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

I never leave home without it...

61DCy78gg0L._AC_UL480_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg
And so many uses, too. Post coffee use. Pre shot use (when you crap yourself because the biggest buck you ever saw is coming). Post shot use (because you crap again because just shot said buck). Tear wiping use (because you swear you made a bad hit). Arrow wipe use (because you want to see if there are guts on the shaft). Blood trailing use (because the blood trail is better than hoped and you need paper to mark the last blood spot).
Butt wipe use (because you found the biggest buck of your life).
And finally, cosmetic use (because photos of the booner you just killed look much better if you clean blood from the deer before snapping pics). And at that point, you might need a butt wipe just one more time. You might need a mega roll.

Same bow that I've used for the last 20 years...Allegheny Mountain Recurve, but with a few changes.
I did an arrow rebuild. Went full Ashby and used 400 spine Momentums from Grizzlystik. Had a hard time configuring that stiff of a spine, so I broke out my back-up limbs...a little shorter, a little heavier, and fast flight friendly the new arrows shoot great with these limbs.
Only issue was the shafts are skinny and my beloved Screaming Eagle quiver wont grip them. So I made my own gripper from a piece of conveyor belt that I "borrowed" when my plant got shut down. New gripper is perfect.
So I'm shooting 55#@ 27", 58" bow, fast flight. Black Widow string silencers, brush buttons and tip protectors.
Tabs.
Arrows are ~29" 400 Momentums, Ethics insert outserts (2 posts cut off so ~135 grain insert, plus the outserts), and 200 gr Samurai right single bevel heads. A&A style fletch which I reduced from 5" to 4".
670 grain total weight, and 28% foc.
This sucker pops arrows out hard out to 25 yards with minimal trajectory, and the new rig shoots very quiet.
My old rig (550 gr and 18% foc) was good for several years but I'm convinced that this is better.

Last edited:
I will be using a new (got it Saturday) Big Jim's Buffalo 64 inches long 50@28. Using 500 spine 31.25' Goldtip Traditional arrows 150 grain VPA 3 blade broadheads. I try to shoot everyday. Going to start shooting from the saddle too.

58” 42@28 caribow wolverine
500 spine BE Deep impact 200 Hundy up front
2 blade stinger

Anyone hunting with an antique bow? I’m worried about damaging it or breaking it.

Wing Archery Red Wing Hunter #44 LH 58 AMO

First year Traditional

View attachment 30279
Those are nice SMOOTH shooting bows. I might be taking my Browning Nomad stalker, or Magnaflight Maxima depending on how my tune goes on the timberhawk I picked up a few months ago. I wouldnt be worried, just dont leave it in a hot vehicle while your at work if hunted that morning, or planning for an evening session.

Ill be carrying the two bows in this post. https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/yay-trad-section.27777/post-388572

The 52# bow (54# @ my 30" draw) I'll be shooting 400 spine Gold Tips with Woodsman broadheads, 630g 22% foc

The other bow is about 49# at my draw and I still haven't figured out an arrow setup for it. It's between a 400 and 500 spine, and a 30" draw doesn't allow me much change in arrow length. I will probably end up shooting the same 400 spine arrow with a 2 blade broadhead.

The other bow is about 49# at my draw and I still haven't figured out an arrow setup for it. It's between a 400 and 500 spine, and a 30" draw doesn't allow me much change in arrow length. I will probably end up shooting the same 400 spine arrow with a 2 blade broadhead.
Get down to 400 and add 50grains in the point, you should be at the right dynamic spine

Back