• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What’s in you pack???

I also hunt public land alone out of cell service. I keep a fox 40 whistle around my neck. I also pre-scout my spots and parking and leave the gps coordinates with my girlfriend, with the check station phone number. I'm also considering a baofeng radio- it's heavy but it can definitely hail the green jeans to come get my ass. Also when my girlfriend calls cause I'm late the green jeans can hail me to make sure I'm ok and assuage her worries. I might be overthinking things but that's kinda who I am as a person.

Thanks for response..: my inReach has contacts if I use SOS… couple friends know how to look for me… I leave map in my truck on location of stands and my wife knows the road #s I will be hunting…very few variables but can never deviate from where I tell people I will be!

I carry pretty much same as above folks with addition of two way radio with park service, forestry, local law enforcement, and game warden frequencies. I hunt in areas with zero cell service, but in an emergency i can quickly be in contact with help. They are cheap on ebay or amazon and work great. Frequencies are easy to find online.

The list of what I carry changes if its a half day or full day, what stand I'm going to and what season / temperature it is. Things that never change is, I always carry a compass, my sidearm, and a way to start a fire. I have life 360 on my phone but if that doesn't work My wife always knows the general area I am hunting so if I don't make it home she knows where to send the search party.

Hunt solo a lot on public with little or no cell service. I have a zoleo that I can sos with if needed or text out to wife or buddies. I have that only because of the wife. The absolute last thing I ever think about is getting croaked in the woods, it's my happy place.

Good compass, button compass, GPS, phone with downloaded maps, lighter, Vaseline cotton balls water filtration straw. I have definately thought about an inreach. I hunt several no coverage swamps (one over 100K acres) and several of them are as thick as the hair on a dogs back. Don’t underestimate Scouting, which frankly can be more dangerous than hunting as you are not in a defined location.

If I didnt buy an inreach id have never heard the end of it. I bought it for my wifes piece of mind. Most of my hunts are so short anymore I try to not carry anything. Maybe a jolly rancher.

Dehydration, exposure to the elements, and getting hurt and being unable to summon help are three of your top dangers. You can account for those with a lightweight life straw (or some other water purification device), an emergency blanket and fire starting equipment (lighter, lint for fire starter), and some sort of GPS device (InReach or similar). The three of those probably weigh a pound combined and really drive your risk down substantially. Make sure your med kit has a tourniquet, Benadryl (epipen if you have known serious allergies), and gauze, too.
Biggest thing for staying safe, though, isn’t something you carry—it’s good sense/judgment. Go slow and steady, and listen to the alarm bells if they’re going off in your head!

Dehydration, exposure to the elements, and getting hurt and being unable to summon help are three of your top dangers. You can account for those with a lightweight life straw (or some other water purification device), an emergency blanket and fire starting equipment (lighter, lint for fire starter), and some sort of GPS device (InReach or similar). The three of those probably weigh a pound combined and really drive your risk down substantially. Make sure your med kit has a tourniquet, Benadryl (epipen if you have known serious allergies), and gauze, too.
Biggest thing for staying safe, though, isn’t something you carry—it’s good sense/judgment. Go slow and steady, and listen to the alarm bells if they’re going off in your head!
Thanks… my thought exactly… Really enjoy the the act of solo public land hunting but don’t want to be unprepared… sort of like Hurricane season… we know the first 72 hours are on us…! Thanks for all the feedback!

I my pack is
the fix platform
when im not wearing it my cruzr xc
my trophyline kneepads
headlamp
water
pin on compass
phone
thats my saddle rig
when I hunt with my .5 I have no bag and I use A primos bow vest

I’m in Minnesota, freezing to death isn’t on my to do list. Whenever I go hunting I have on me:

IFAK, most of it from NAR.
-4” flat pack trauma dressing
-Chest seals x2
-Combat gauze
-Frog tape
-SAM splint
-Thoracostomy needle
-Nasopharyngeal airway
-CAT 7 Tourniquet on the outside of the pack.
-NAR survival blanket and the larger NAR survival wrap
-a few bandaids

The IFAK is in a quart zip lock bag with some duct tape sealing it further. It really doesn’t take much space.

Lighter and tinder (I like cotton balls with petroleum jelly in waterproof battery containers)

Compass

Headlamp, extra batteries, and I have a little flashlight on my keychain (Olight i1R).

I attached a Leatherman Signal to my saddle in a magnetic closure pouch. It’s access to a small saw, knife, magnesium fire starter, and whistle all in one.

Spare tab in my bag, because that was stupid one morning. I can shoot off the bare fingers, but with my 65lb long bow my middle finger will be numb until the next day if I do and my form sucks.

Last edited:
I’m in Minnesota, freezing to death isn’t on my to do list. Whenever I go hunting I have on me:

IFAK, most of it from NAR.
-4” flat pack trauma dressing
-Chest seals x2
-Combat gauze
-Frog tape
-SAM splint
-Nasopharyngeal airway
-CAT 7 Tourniquet on the outside of the pack.
-NAR survival blanket and the larger NAR survival wrap
-a few bandaids

The IFAK is in a quart zip lock bag with some duct tape sealing it further. It really doesn’t take much space.

Lighter and tinder (I like cotton balls with petroleum jelly in waterproof battery containers)

Compass

Headlamp, extra batteries, and I have a little flashlight on my keychain (Olight i1R).

I attached a Leatherman Signal to my saddle in a magnetic closure pouch. It’s access to a small saw, knife, magnesium fire starter, and whistle all in one.

Spare tab in my bag, because that was stupid one morning. I can shoot off the bare fingers, but with my 65lb long bow my middle finger will be numb until the next day if I do and my form sucks.
Thanks… it’s got to be a little extra for you… you never know when you are in emergency situation taking care of another hunter!

Thanks… it’s got to be a little extra for you… you never know when you are in emergency situation taking care of another hunter!

Yep. My IFAK in my hiking gear and shooting bag are pretty much all set up the same way. The NAR Eagle and Esstac DST pack are great pouches if anyone is looking for one to add to the outside of a pack.

Most of the time I'm alone on public land. I purchased the Spot X satellite messenger for emergency purposes and communicating with the wife.

It's not perfect but it's better than nothing. In the national forest I hunt (thick canopies over head), it usually takes about 20min for the message to go out. (The message doesn't go out until a satellite orbits over you and picks up the message.) If you had open sky, it would take a lot less time. I believe I read approximately 2min, but don't hold me to that.

At first I thought this was because of the Spot X device and I needed to go with a more expensive model, but after looking into it this is pretty normal for these kinds of devices.

Nonetheless I don't hunt without it.

Last edited:
Most of the time I'm alone on public land. I purchased the Spot X satellite messenger for emergency purposes and communicating with the wife.

It's not perfect but it's better than nothing. In the national forest I hunt (thick canopies over head), it usually takes about 20min for the message to go out. (The message doesn't go out until a satellite orbits over you and picks up the message.) If you had open sky, it would take a lot less time. I believe I read approximately 2min, but don't hold me to that.

At first I thought this was because of the Spot X device and I needed to go with a more expensive model, but after looking into it the this is pretty normal for these kinds of devices.

Nonetheless I don't hunt without it.
Yep… I have the inReach and can send location to contacts… it also has SOS… so if I fall and can’t get up… I’m alone 90% of the time… so I have couple buddies that know how to find me… one retired FWC officer… I always try to plan that I will have some kind of issue… Thanks for reply!

I hunt solo. My location shows on my sister's phone through Google tracker on my phone. She sees where I am. Second thing I have is a Road ID bracelet with name, town I live in and my sisters phone # and cousins phone # on it. I realize that's not in my pack, but my family doesn't worry.
So I carry a first aid kit with tourniquet. Emergency blanket, fire starter, water, wool glove inserts, glucose tabs (blood sugar), ball compass, flashlight, 2 headlamps, extra batteries, my Garmin and thermacell (if needed)
The rest is my saddle, Xtra clothes if needed, snacks and knee pads.
Sticks and platform attached to the outside.

Oh yeah forgot the TP...for blood trails lol.

Last edited:
I hunt solo. My location shows on my sister's phone through Google tracker on my phone. She sees where I am. Second thing I have is a Road ID bracelet with name, town I live in and my sisters phone # and cousins phone # on it. I realize that's not in my pack, but my family doesn't worry.
So I carry a first aid kit with tourniquet. Emergency blanket, fire starter, water, wool glove inserts, glucose tabs (blood sugar), ball compass, flashlight, 2 headlamps, extra batteries, my Garmin and thermacell (if needed)
The rest is my saddle, Xtra clothes if needed, snacks and knee pads.
Sticks and platform attached to the outside.
Thanks for response… I’m same… wife has my location couple buddies know where to look for my truck… leave map of treestand location in my truck…carry first aid kit… main concern are cuts… also fire starter and emergency blanket… 32 ox water and sawyer mini filter… extra headlamp… Garmin inReach with SOS… energy bars and trail mix… and thermacell when needed… saddle and sticks… and Snake Boots!

I often hunt by myself sometimes 11 miles into the great Dismal Swamp with no cell service. Garmin Inreach is a staple here. Keep a CAT Tourniquet, quick clot and other first aid items. Space blanket, fire starting. I have not been carrying snacks but think I will in the future. I also carry my Pistol.

I hunt alone…on public land… 90 minutes from home… no cell service… have inReach with SOS… Have a first aid kit and minimal stuff if overnight… 32 oz water and food bars…
Does anyone else hunt solo and what do you carry…

i won't mention stuff like climbing steps, etc

1. garmin inreach
2. cell phone
3. anker battery pack and charging cords
4. large headlamp
5. small headlamp
6. 1 extra battery for all headlamps (and my fenix keychain light)
7. two 12 ounce bottles of water
8. 4 granola bars
9. hand towel i use to cough into but can have other uses
10. toilet paper
12. 2 folding knives
13. paracord in form of pull up rope
14. reflective emergency blanket
15. packable rain suit
16. emergency poncho
17. 3 lighters
18. fire starters
19. 45 acp with extra magazine