• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What all animals have been kilt from a saddle?

Arrowsquirrel

SH Member
I'm new to the community and think it would be interesting to know what all has been harvested from a saddle. Anybody shot elk, antelope, bear, Bigfoot?

Nothin' yet for me. Hoping to get my 11 year old son a deer this year from the saddle. Hopefully, 2 years from now I will be able to add a black bear for myself and have notched a few deer.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

All ive killed so far is time....haha.

May do some squirrel this summer, turkey and deer in the fall.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Interesting to here what all you guys been hunting. Sitka stag is a surprise to me. The saddle reaches far and wide. Black coyote sounds like a one of a kind never heard of that before. Sounds like the options are endless. Gotta admit hunting turkeys out of a tree seems kinda mixed up to me, might have to try it. :grinning:

In michigan you can hunt elevated but only if you use a bow. Figured it would be worth a shot ;). While I was sitting this spring with my shotgun I was thinking I should be up in a saddle with a bow so going to stick with that next time I'm out.

Interesting to here what all you guys been hunting. Sitka stag is a surprise to me. The saddle reaches far and wide. Black coyote sounds like a one of a kind never heard of that before. Sounds like the options are endless. Gotta admit hunting turkeys out of a tree seems kinda mixed up to me, might have to try it. :grinning:
I've seen only 1 black yote. Unfortunately, I was sitting in a tractor seat and not a saddle.

In michigan you can hunt elevated but only if you use a bow. Figured it would be worth a shot ;). While I was sitting this spring with my shotgun I was thinking I should be up in a saddle with a bow so going to stick with that next time I'm out.

It used to be that you could only hunt elevated in Michigan with a bow but that's been changed for a few years now. Here's the section from the guide:

Raised Platforms and Tree Stands
The following persons may hunt from a raised platform or tree stand:
• Bow and crossbow hunters (all species).
• Bear, deer, and elk hunters when using
a firearm.
• Small game (except migratory bird) hunters using a shotgun only.
• Fox and coyote hunters from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after
sunset.

All other firearm hunters are prohibited from using a raised platform or tree stand.
A raised platform means a horizontal surface, constructed or manufactured by a
person, that increases the field of vision of a person using it beyond the field of
vision that normally would be attained by that person standing on the ground.

EDIT: My bad though, maybe you were talking turkeys. In that case your statement is true but I have been tying my saddle in at ground leel this year for turkeys. Try it, It works great! Feet on the ground, extra mobility, field of vision and you can hide behind the tree.:)

Last edited:
It used to be that you could only hunt elevated in Michigan with a bow but that's been changed for a few years now. Here's the section from the guide:

Raised Platforms and Tree Stands
The following persons may hunt from a raised platform or tree stand:
• Bow and crossbow hunters (all species).
• Bear, deer, and elk hunters when using
a firearm.
• Small game (except migratory bird) hunters using a shotgun only.
• Fox and coyote hunters from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after
sunset.

All other firearm hunters are prohibited from using a raised platform or tree stand.
A raised platform means a horizontal surface, constructed or manufactured by a
person, that increases the field of vision of a person using it beyond the field of
vision that normally would be attained by that person standing on the ground.

EDIT: My bad though, maybe you were talking turkeys. In that case your statement is true but I have been tying my saddle in at ground leel this year for turkeys. Try it, It works great! Feet on the ground, extra mobility, field of vision and you can hide behind the tree.:)
Yeah I was talking turkey specifically

In the Jx3 for one season, bow....8 pt and rifle....8 pt.
Guidos Web for 3 seasons, bow......2 does and an 6pt and rifle....three 8's.....three 7's....10 pt and two coyotes.
I like saddle hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back