• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What Ammunition Is Best For Deer Hunting ...........................?

Right now it’s whatever expandable ammo you can find in stock. Then limit your shots to the distance/angles you expect that ammo to handle.
If you have options it is mainly your preference. I want an exit so I really like the Nosler Accubond or other bonded/controlled expansion bullet in my 308. I like the barnes ttsx in my 300 blackout. Last year my son shot the 150 grain Winchester deer season load in the blackout. It worked just fine.
What caliber are you shooting at what distance and how big are your deer?

.243, .270 308, 30-06. 30-30, 35...... I am just going to post one reply until I know that OP not just throwing grenade and watching us scrambles around.

But nothing wrong with a good 12 gauges. IMHO, ammo quality does not really affect you or you can see much difference within 100 yards. I dont need pin size hole from my hunting rifle.

.243, .270 308, 30-06. 30-30, 35...... I am just going to post one reply until I know that OP not just throwing grenade and watching us scrambles around.

But nothing wrong with a good 12 gauges. IMHO, ammo quality does not really affect you or you can see much difference within 100 yards. I dont need pin size hole from my hunting rifle.
HOW DARE YOU NOT MENTION THE GREAT 6.5 Creedmore!!! Now someone is really gonna lay into you about how that is the greatest round of all time.../s

NOT HORNADY WHITETAIL SPECIAL.

At least in 129 grain, for the 6.5 Creedmoor. I was completely let down by that round's performance.

HOW DARE YOU NOT MENTION THE GREAT 6.5 Creedmore!!! Now someone is really gonna lay into you about how that is the greatest round of all time.../s

The Creedmore is my mistress for anything over 300 yards, but good luck finding ammo to practice! I'm exclusive bow now but I loved my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington.

Annnddddd I posted again. DAMN YOU!!

Ok can't post without giving some advice, you CAN use even 7mm but remember you're going to waste a lot of meat if you are overkilling with the ammo. Heck, with a good shot placement, a 22lr can put a deer down.

What important things must-have for deer hunting

Assuming that you're talking about ammunition/bullet brand/type vs. cartridge... Whatever shoots the most accurate. A well placed inferior bullet is still better than most bad hits with a quality bullet. Unfortunately, the only way to verify any of this is to test various bullets and/or manufacturers out of your specific rifle. Or you could reload lol, I went down that rabbit hole about 15 years ago when I started shooting competitive rifle and woodchuck hunting/long range.

NOT HORNADY WHITETAIL SPECIAL.

At least in 129 grain, for the 6.5 Creedmoor. I was completely let down by that round's performance.

I'm getting pretty close to being done with this ammo as well, although I have a bunch of it.

First 2 deer I shot with the 6.5CM had non-existent blood trails. Lost one of them because of it.

I've shot a bunch with my .25-06 and have been sort of happy with the performance but not really. Exits are pretty limited, and I've noticed some funkiness in the QA of ammo. For example, I have a number of rounds with split necks now.

.25-06 is a nice round but I agree with you, I would only trust reload for actual hunting. 250-3000 are easy on the shoulder too if you want to have fun with a unique caliber. But I think .270 is the most friendly and meet my needs if I go back to hunting with guns for anything in NA. 30-06 just have a lot of gain weight available and ammo type, but I like the feel of .270 more.

I'm getting pretty close to being done with this ammo as well, although I have a bunch of it.

First 2 deer I shot with the 6.5CM had non-existent blood trails. Lost one of them because of it.

I've shot a bunch with my .25-06 and have been sort of happy with the performance but not really. Exits are pretty limited, and I've noticed some funkiness in the QA of ammo. For example, I have a number of rounds with split necks now.

I shot 4 deer with it last year and my son shot 1. The one my son shot was a bit far back with the exit wound being on the bottom and we had a blood trail, but I think it was because the deer had a downward facing exit. I shot a nice buck with it and got a little bit of blood but for the most part I had the same experience, just no blood trails. And seemingly no energy transfer. Just a pencil sized hole straight through the vitals and all the way out the other side. Out of the 5 deer we shot, we lost the one GOOD sized buck (unfortunately) and of the 4 recoveries, not one of those failed to make it at least 100 yards. Unbelievable with this being "quality" ammunition. I was so let down by the ammo that I sold the rifle. Kinda like cutting off the foot to spite the toes but I just had no faith in it's performance.

I shoot Weatherbys... Regardless of bullet design there's ALWAYS an exit hole lol
Obviously you haven’t tried SST pushed to the max lol...my dad has shot two deer with the 300 wby and it barely makes it into the vitals

.25-06 is a nice round but I agree with you, I would only trust reload for actual hunting. 250-3000 are easy on the shoulder too if you want to have fun with a unique caliber. But I think .270 is the most friendly and meet my needs if I go back to hunting with guns for anything in NA. 30-06 just have a lot of gain weight available and ammo type, but I like the feel of .270 more.

The caliber isn't the problem. Between my dad and I, we've killed a pile of deer with the .25-06 (probably 30+). I didn't start experiencing issues until I switched to the Hornady American Whitetail a few years ago. I've also killed a bunch with a .30-06 over the years. Overall, probably my favorite whitetail round has been a 7mm-08. I had a couple of them about 10 years ago and regret selling both of them. Excellent shooting round with great performance on game. I'm thinking of picking another up this year.

Obviously you haven’t tried SST pushed to the max lol...my dad has shot two deer with the 300 wby and it barely makes it into the vitals
I haven't. My .338-378 with 300gr accubonds kills them and guts them for me lolScreenshot_20210723-095213__02.jpg

So I am a 260/6.5 creedmoor fan. Went with nosler 100 grain Bt or partition. Before that I was a Remington cor-lokt. Ran cor-lokt in my 270 and 30-06 till I tore the shoulder up and couldn’t shoot those things anymore.

Ima go a different route. Figure out what your rifle likes to shoot and let it eat. Doesn't matter all the cool tech or talking points but if your rifle doesn't like what you're selling it's gonna shoot all over the place, not pattern, not be consistent and not be reliable. You owe it to yourself and your game. Have a chat with the manufacturer of your firearm and start there with their recommendation.

Back