• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What are you doing with your pistol?

Travis9221

Here in ky you can carry a pistol with you during bow season if you have ccdw. Witch I have to say I would do regardless. But I carry a glock in a inter wast band holster or my 1911. So what do you guys do with your pistol when you hunt out of your saddle. I have not wore a saddle but my first one should be here soon. But im not going to the woods with out my pistol i expect its not going to be very comfortable in a saddle. So tell me what y'all do.

I either carry my colt 1908 vest in my cargo pocket, or my .44 super bh in a hunter leather holster that I put in my front pocket of my pack when I get to the tree. When my pack is secured at height, its conveniently located for easy access.

I have the aliengear shapeshifter holster. I just discovered last night they make a molle expansion for it to make it easily work on molle. I will be getting that and attaching it to my pack which has molle all over it. I guess I could also attach it to the molle on my saddle but I think the pack is close enough.

I used to use a kenai chest holster, and ut was a fabulous way to pack heat in the wet and nasty swamps. Kept it high and dry, and from rubbing on kayak/csnoe seats. Easy access from a seated/saddled position as well.

However, while I support the right to carry, I came to the conclusion that for me it was just dead weight. I'm just not as scared of snakes, alligators, hogs, bigfeets and meth heads as I used to be.
4e97ad2e6e9323d81df54f42da14f3ce.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I actually use my turkey vest as a pack and it has a large right front pocket into which I put my peace of mind. Once in the tree the vest drapes around the tree and the pocket is still right there at my right hand.

I walked within 10ft of a bedded black bear in the dark several years back. Then we just kinda stared at each other as I slowly backed away. I wasn't armed with anything other than my bow at the time. I always carry now. I also saw a mountain lion cross a logging road in my headlight beams as I was driving in one time. Game department says they are not here, but actual sightings say otherwise. I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it. So I feel better armed.

Honestly, I carry more because I can than because I feel a need to. I could spend an entire afternoon swapping bear close call stories including turning around once only to find a sow with two cubs standing 5 feet from me. Short story is they have always seemed more shy of me than I am of them. I too had an encounter with a mountain lion many years ago when I lived in the UP. The DNR actually laughed at me when I called to report it. That was a little unnerving, those are some damn big cats and it almost completely circled the tree I was in.

@Nutterbuster Honestly my biggest reason i carry is startling the jersey bull in the pasture at 5am when I'm in full camo...

A local guy was working for a land manager and doing cattle fence repair

A cow ran him down, trampled him & he’s wheelchair bound the rest of his life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, we've got bears and cats as well. I'm more worried about packs of stray dogs than anything. Several parcels of public butt up against some seedy little country roads where every crappy, fallen-in double wide has a pit-mix of some sort under a broken down pickup. They form little groups and cruise for gut piles and roadkill in hunting season.

I've had a lot of encounters with our "megafauna" but never felt like a gun would have negated the danger any more than backing out and yielding rightaway.

Honestly, I miss the swagger and bravado of my full frame more than anything.

I used to carry my single stack 9mm in a chest pocket when hunting Public.

Here in pa and where I hunt in wv there's some bears and cats and coyotes but never felt the need to carry while I'm going hunting. Pretty deadly with my triax lol. Now in the cities around here it's a different story

I either carry a 38 snubby in a pocket holster, or some variation of M&P in a Hill People Gear chest rig or the handy holster slot on a Badlands pack (with a Raven Concealment Vanguard keeping the trigger safe).

Once I’m at my tree I put my g43 in my pack. On the way in I wear any one of the few holsters I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock 19/23/43 on the way in (Nebraska for yotes or the possibility of a traveling cat), some little .22 auto with snake shot here in SE jawja for mr. No shoulders. Or the AR pistol if there's the possibilty of hawgs (or just because a 10" AR is fun to patrol in with). Great to be an American

I'm not asking why y'all carry I'm more interested in how you carry sense it's not on your side.

Oh.....from a saddle I either appendix carry attached to the belt on my Kestrel, slide the pistol in my pack or early season I slide it in one of the pockets under my arm on my concealed carry t-shirt. Those things aren’t cheap, but they are damned handy.

Back