• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What are your plans for a fall?

DanielB89

Another thread got me thinking.. What are you using that will assist you in case of a major emergency. just say a stick broke, platform snapped, etc and you're just hanging there. What are your plans of getting out of that situation? I know my saddle is very comfortable leaning in it, but, if the worst happened, would I be able to sit in it for 2 hours while help was on the way to retrieve me?

Just wanting to know what you guys are doing.

I never set my ROS so high that I cant get down to my last climbing bolt/step. I can't really imagine a situation that i couldn't get back down the tree if i was in one piece.

I never set my ROS so high that I cant get down to my last climbing bolt/step. I can't really imagine a situation that i couldn't get back down the tree if i was in one piece.

That is a good thought. Some times I use my platform as an actual step, so it's a decent amount higher than my last step. IF it were to break SOMEHOW and I were unable to reach my top stick or my tether, I would be in a pickle.

Plan to rappel and practice. If the easiest way up is bolts, the easiest way down is rappelling. Gravity will help you. You just have to manage it.

I like to leave the top of my last step or stick (or your only one if you're 1-sticking like I do) at the same level as my platform, either off to one side or nearly on the opposite side of the tree trunk (on smaller diameter trees). Then you can use it while hunting like a ring of steps for stepping around the back side of the tree. It's always within reach. But if something happened during the climb and you ended up hanging from your tether or LB with nothing else in reach, you could always figure out some combo of your platform/tether/LB/aider/whatever to 1-stick your way down (all the way to ground, or at least down to a lower stick or something you could reach).

Plan to rappel and practice. If the easiest way up is bolts, the easiest way down is rappelling. Gravity will help you. You just have to manage it.
Rappelling is nice, but climbing down bolts is pretty gosh-awful quick. I would wager that I could win a race down a tree against a rapeller, just because they'd have to set everything up and my bolts are already there. If I had to get down a tree NOW, all I'd have to do is cut/unhook my tether and start climbing down.

Rappelling is nice, but climbing down bolts is pretty gosh-awful quick. I would wager that I could win a race down a tree against a rapeller, just because they'd have to set everything up and my bolts are already there. If I had to get down a tree NOW, all I'd have to do is cut/unhook my tether and start climbing down.
I had this on Wednesday afternoon, SRT up, install ring of steps, climb a touch higher with my tether, get setup. Bam lightening storm about an hour before dark, once my rappelling gear was set up it was 15s down, but about 3 minutes of hell before then. Bolts would be nice but public land...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I had this on Wednesday afternoon, SRT up, install ring of steps, climb a touch higher with my tether, get setup. Bam lightening storm about an hour before dark, once my rappelling gear was set up it was 15s down, but about 3 minutes of hell before then. Bolts would be nice but public land...

Get some squirrel steps! Pricey, but I'm really liking mine.

Get some squirrel steps! Pricey, but I'm really liking mine.
Too much money into this **** already, got a look from the lady when my helium stick came in yesterday. I'll single stick up trees I cant rope climb, and just set my rappelling rope as my tether.

Another thread got me thinking.. What are you using that will assist you in case of a major emergency. just say a stick broke, platform snapped, etc and you're just hanging there. What are your plans of getting out of that situation? I know my saddle is very comfortable leaning in it, but, if the worst happened, would I be able to sit in it for 2 hours while help was on the way to retrieve me?

Just wanting to know what you guys are doing.
I actually had a stick become dislodged and fell 4 or 5 feet when I stepped on it. I was wearing a harness and descending from a hangon setup. I had apparently bumped a Muddy pro hard enough pulling up my pack earlier that it unsettled the cleats.When I stepped on it it turned and went down the trunk until it landed on the step below. I fell.When the dislodged stick fell it landed sideways on the next step making that step unusable until I removed it. I was saved by the harness but hit the tree pretty hard anyway. I remember thinking I only had seconds to do something before I would start getting tired so I went back up into the stand using the tree and stand I think to pull myself back up .Then I remember being frustrated because it was an early season hunt and of course my cell phone had been left in the truck .Thinking back now I didn't even realize my harness had saved me. Now what? Looking down at the missing step I had no idea how I would get down or get help. I eventually decided to break the gate off a carabiner and fished the step back up the tree using my haul line.Then I used my harness and safety strap to bridge the gap left by the errant stick and where I was standing on my platform and slowly worked my way down to where the steps started again . Risky but it worked. I'll never forget my phone again I hope and vividly remember how bad I was hurting afterwards . Chest ,arms and shoulder all bruised and sore for about a week. I kept calm and reacted quickly to my credit and I think it changed the way I climb now. Lesson learned. By the way, and more importantly I know I was very ,very, lucky .

I
I'm pretty sure I'd beat you down the tree but you'd certainly catch and pass me as I was retrieving, coiling and packing up my rope. :)

e and make my way down slowly
I keep a one step webbing aider that I can just girth hitch around the tree and make my way down slowly.

YES!!! This is exactly what I'm doing as well.

I like to have some form of safety that doesn't rely at all on what's already attached. I know that could seem like overkill, but it will save you no matter what happens. You have to have some type of pressure release system. Even if you're hanging from your tether. You wont be able to move it down the tree unless you have a way to release the pressure off of it.

YES!!! This is exactly what I'm doing as well.

I like to have some form of safety that doesn't rely at all on what's already attached. I know that could seem like overkill, but it will save you no matter what happens. You have to have some type of pressure release system. Even if you're hanging from your tether. You wont be able to move it down the tree unless you have a way to release the pressure off of it.

I figure it’s cheap insurance.

I didn't think this was a race down. Falling would be fastest. :grinning:
Getting down is easy. Getting down safely is the goal. How is the footing on wet bolts?
Come to think of it wet bolts may be the fastest.

If I broke or lost my stick in the tree, I would use my platform to get down. If for whatever reason that failed I would get down using one of my versa straps using the double tether technique

So has anyone considered if you have a failure that resulted in a serious fall and say broke your back? Or a small fall but you caught a step and lacerate your leg, maybe knick your femoral? Do you hunt alone? Does your partner know where you are exactly? Any cell service?

I will hunt alone in a no service area, isolated areas. I haven’t dropped the money yet but plan on getting a PLB for an absolute emergent situation. Little life insurance...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So has anyone considered if you have a failure that resulted in a serious fall and say broke your back? Or a small fall but you caught a step and lacerate your leg, maybe knick your femoral? Do you hunt alone? Does your partner know where you are exactly? Any cell service?
If you find yourself in an emergency scenario while hunting, it will almost definitely be because you're incapacitated, and there's a good chance that it will all boil down to luck or fate, whichever you believe in. You can go down the rabbit hole worrying about it. I'll tell you a chipper little story.

3 years ago I got invited to go paddle a stretch of river with a group of retirees. One of them was a former green beret. Two were police officers. One was a fire chief. A couple of others were there who's qualifications I didn't know, but all were older, very experienced outdoorsmen. I ended up not going because I had already burnt time off that month going to the same spot with a buddy.

They made an uneventful trip to the campsite, set up shop, drank a few beers, grilled some grub, and slowly drifted off to their tents.

One gentleman never woke up.

He had a massive heart attack in the night. If he made a sound, nobody heard it because they were sleeping hard due to food, drink, and exercise. He had high blood pressure I believe, but nobody remotely expected that he had any serious problems. He died surrounded by the most ideal group of guys you can imagine to save his life. They couldn't get signal on the island they were camped at, and had to tow him back in his canoe.

Definitely pack whatever first aid kit you're trained to use. Take a basic first aid course. Hunt with buddies where possible. Leave a plan with someone you trust. Buy a PLB if it makes you feel better. But most importantly, BE MINDFUL and DON'T GET COMPLACENT.

And then just keep in mind that you might get that ticket punched any second now. Nobody gets out of here alive anyway. ;)

If I am in a tree and something fails...HMMMMM:

Scenario 1:
One stick method and platform fails while in the stand...I also three three bolts around my platform. Both sides of the tree and the front of the tree. If public land then I use my strap steps in the same place. So I fall, my tether catches me and I can step on my stick that is 18" to 24" below me. Climb back on my steps that are around the tree. Grab LB and put it around the tree...start the process of leaving the tree as though my stand had not failed. Get home and contact tethered to send them the platform and have send me another one...

Scenario 2:
In the tree and on the platform...my stick falls to the ground. If it is my only stick I slap myself for not having it attached to my belt or tether. Then I continue to hunt as I can get safely down. When I need to come down I use my platform as my stick and inch worm my way down..

Scenario 3:
Stick and platform fail or fall to the ground leaving me hanging from the tree on my tether....Head butt the tree because obviously I either was one of the luckiest/unluckiest son of a gun and should take up knitting. Getting down...I pull my spare tether out and fashion a foot aider. Girth hitch it to the tree...stand up and grab my tether and let it fall to the ground. Before I do all that...I lower my bow to the ground. Then let the tether take my weight and put my foot aider down the tree...repeat the inch worm process.

Back