• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What Boots are you running?

Thetrueredneck

SH Member
I have found out quick this year that my boots have made a world of difference in how long I stay in the tree. I have been running a pair of Crispi Idaho GTX Non insulted and found that the bottoms of my feet aren’t near as tired as they were in the Alpha Burlys I wear.

I ordered a pair of Salomon boots but didn’t realize till it was too late that ordered them from an international company, so I am going on almost a month for delivery. I am contemplating just ordering a pair of the Idaho 2 from crispi, and call it a day. How is the size? I wear an 11.5 tennis shoe that is tight with a thick sock so I was thinking a 12 with a wool sock should be fine.

My boots make a difference as well. Right now I’m using TideWe rubber boots. Previous pair were muck equalizers. Both are comfortable enough on steps and bolts. I have a pair of lacrosse grange that hurt my feet. They hurt starting about a minute into my climb and get worse until I change them out back at the truck. I’m sure good stiff hiker would be ideal as long as you didn’t have to cross water on the way in and don’t do much for scent control.

These work great for me, put another 20plus miles on them over the last 3 days. No hotspots or blisters & really pretty affordable (also solid real solid arch , great in the saddle)View attachment 36256
These were what I ordered. I honestly had no clue that it was from a distributor in Spain. I felt like an a$$ when I saw where they were coming from.

Went to Walmart last year and bought a pair of $14 rubber boots that fit. I used them all last season and most of this season and had no problems. I bought some Muck brand boots on sale recently for $57 and the first time out I got a blister on my left heel. They are neoprene so should be warmer. I have to remember to put a piece of duct tape on my heel before using again.

These from DryShod:

Attachments

• Haymaker 1.jpg
    Haymaker 1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Haymaker 2.jpg
    Haymaker 2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 18
I've been using the crispi thor gtx for elk and early season whitetails this year. I've put a lot of hard miles on them already and they keep trucking. The stiffer soles definitely help on a ROS. I'll prob switch to my insulated alpha burlys later when the temperature drops

Since it is early archery season in KY, I am currently using a combination of some Cabela BOA lace hikers (love the BOA lace system for speed) and Crispi Crossover Pro light GXTs. The Crispi hikers are their light line but I will say they are built rigid for support and stability. They are excellent hunting boots. Where I hunt, I prefer shorter hiker type boots. I do have Alpha Burlys and use them when the weather gets nasty, sloppy and cold. But in these nice fall temps, I opt for the light and nimble.

Lowa Caminos for me. Stiff soles for a ROS are a godsend. I sat last year with my trail running shoes and 0/10 do not recommend.

I run 3 different types of rubber boots depending on weather. I pair them up with Marino socks, either light mid or heavy for the season and never deal with cold feet on the stand. Key thing I've found is ensuring the upper body is insulated. Soon as it starts to cool, it pulls heat from the hands and feet which is why they are always the first to go. Having that addressed, I can sit out in the stand all day in Wisconsin freezing temps with zero issues of feet getting cold.

Early season, Baffin Blackhawk (PLN).

Mid season, Baffin Backwood (PLN) in Mossy Oak

Late season, Baffin Titan (PLN)

Danner 600s and Redhead Tracker 8". For warmth, I use Arctic Shield boot blankets with adhesive chemical body warmers. I watch and get mid-price boots on sale dirt cheap and treat them like tires (only expect a few years out of them). I think both of those boots were had for less than 100 bucks.

I have a pair of Danner Elk Hunter the best boot I’ve worn for walking all day but I’ve noticed that using them in the saddle isn’t the most comfortable. So I’ve been wearing a pair of Timberland Hikers for when water isn’t involved and my Lacrosse AlphaBurly Pros for when water is involved. I think the timberlands the best because the don’t have heavy tread. The tread on my Lacrosse’s seems to pop on the platform, I’ve have a couple deer look my way then this has happened.

I have a pair of Danner Elk Hunter the best boot I’ve worn for walking all day but I’ve noticed that using them in the saddle isn’t the most comfortable. So I’ve been wearing a pair of Timberland Hikers for when water isn’t involved and my Lacrosse AlphaBurly Pros for when water is involved. I think the timberlands the best because the don’t have heavy tread. The tread on my Lacrosse’s seems to pop on the platform, I’ve have a couple deer look my way then this has happened.

I had this happen yesterday. My Trackers have a deep lug sole and a bit of a heel. I wasn't careful and I slid off the heel onto the midsole on the Predator's edge and it was loud. They also squeak when the leather hits the rubber on the other boot. The Danners don't have these problems, so I'll probably mostly wear those.

Back