• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What do you want to know about the Tactisaddle?

Nutterbuster

SH Member
I spoke with the designer/maker of the Tactisaddle: John Tucker. He's sending me a model to borrow and review early next week.

While I was not a fan of the video that got linked here a while back, I am a very big fan of minimalist, lightweight gear. I was pretty quick to tune out of the video that was presented, and made an offhanded comment that was probably not my finest post. Upon reflection, I decided that it was only fair to look at the design with unbiased eyes. After all, my anderson was pretty friggin comfortable for just being a bunch of 2" webbing. And how cool would that little thing be with my one piece tether/bridge and a handful of carbon fiber bolts?

I reached out and told John that I was interested, but had doubts. It quickly became obvious that he had a good amount of experience with saddles. He made a lot of valid points about how saddles wear, where pressure is distributed, and what creates hot spots and pinching. He was quite passionate about his product, and I believe he genuinely believes in his approach to building a saddle. I also found this video on the tactisaddle site, which I think is more informative than the one most guys have seen:

I told him that I was not a salesperson or hype man, but that I had a youtube channel and some small amount of credibility on the forum, and that if his product was as good as he said it was that I could probably help him get some exposure, and would like to do so. I told him that we were for the most part an open-minded bunch, but a lot of us (myself included) were tired of sales pitches.

My question to you guys is: what do you want to know about the saddle? Obviously there is skepticism about how comfortable it is. What else is keeping folks from considering it as an option?

Update - here's the video review.

Last edited:
This video is 100% better than the other one. I"m actualy curious about the "rump" strap. and how there is really only 1 2" webbing strap that is really going to hold your weight when sitting.

Interested to get your take. To be polite that other video review left a bad taste in my mouth also, not the saddle. That guy may save kittens and feed the poor but his youtube persona is not my brand of tea.

From my pov this saddle has potential to fit in the class with the other minimalist saddles. From a design perspective, I don't think the Mantis/Kite is really all that different. Vast majority of the weight distribution in those saddles is across the bottom strap. Personally I don't want to sit in those mesh saddles all day either, but a couple hours I can do. I could see this being similar. That being said weight savings just from removing a little material aren't substantial either, especially to most guys that is "worn weight".

Comfort is so subjective moreso in a review I'm just looking for the little quality intricacies you can't see until you hold it. How is the sewing, materials, buckles, etc.? Any weird hangups like the Aero bridge nanosecond of death? I'm not a molle guy but are the loops usable? Does that thong thing give you a permawedgie? What are the points of adjustability?

Vast majority of the weight distribution in those saddles is across the bottom strap.
Exactly. This was true of my kestrel as well. That bottom strap was always what eventually got uncomfortable, which means it's doing most of the work holding your butt up. This design lets you easily reposition that strap to a fresh piece of rump, which was hard to do without making the kestrel sit weird.

Kinda like the anderson, kinda not. I agree that it is a minimalist saddle, and probably not for everyone, everytime.

Thanks for the detailed list of questions. I'll be sure to try and hit those points when I get the saddle.

[QUOTE="elk yinzer, post: 238468, member: 2331"Does that thong thing give you a permawedgie? What are the points of adjustability?[/QUOTE]

My question exactly. The thong/wedgie is the thing that concerns me the most. I do like that he offers them in specific sizes according to waist measurement though. Very interested in your review...

Classy move to do this! As a card carrying member of Weight Weenies Anonymous, I want to see how it stacks up against the Wraptor/Anderson and current commercial options on weight, ease of use, and overall comfort. I would have sworn the Anderson could not be comfortable, but after 2 mins in it, I was convinced. This may be the same way. At least an honest review can give it a fair chance.

John H., Hickory, NC

Keep your nose to the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.

Ok, I'm keeping an open mind... but at 1:44, I'm thinking G-string. I get that's just for mobility and he moves it, but I think if HE could get the king-stand girl involved, his views would jump.
G-string was my 1st thoughts as well..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’ll keep an open mind. The other guy absolutely didn’t do him any favors. His video was much better. He kinda said game changer in there also.

I have 0 problem with wearing a g string, as long as it is equally/more comfortable than my camo diaper.

And I may or may not know a lady who works as a booth girl at whiskey tasting events. She bowhunts too.

So to clarify, so far the 2 biggest hangups are comfort and your public image while wearing a saddlekini? Sounds like the ribbing treestand guys give regular saddlehunters. ;)

4 hrs is long enough to know where it bites and where it doesn’t. I could be wrong but it seems to me this is more of a learners saddle, like the mantis, with most of the weight being supported by your feet. Let us know how it feels for a ros guy, sitting, with the leg straps doing most of the weight bearing and the belt for back support.

I like the idea of no pinch points along the outer hips but that stress/weight has to go somewhere, for a sitter anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think 4 or 5 hunts is a sufficient test for the functionality of a saddle. As far as comfort goes, well, most folks sit 3-4 hours at a minimum. I'd say a few 3 hour sits in the yard at ground level will suffice for the comfort test. Of course, you'll have to do a couple leaning sits, and a couple sitting sits.

I basically alternated back and forth between the hybrid and a kestrel for my last 20 or so hunts last season. By the end of the season I was favoring the hybrid big time. I think a good way to compare this saddle to others would be to do a similar style comparison in season. It allows for the "little things" that don't always pop up, to pop up. And the other saddle is fresh in your mind when they do.

I want to know if the lineman's loops being under the point of your hips (with the kestrel they're just above) changes the stability/functionality of them. Also, they're oriented 90* out from the ones we're used to on currently available saddles. I doubt either of these things changes things dramatically, but it's a point of comparison.

Fit/finish of stitching. I have no qualms about NewTribe's gear - they've been in the game a long time, and are doing it right. Tethrd is using a ISO'd vendor for sewing. If this guys is sewing them in his garage, I'd be hesitant at best, and would want more information on why we should be trusting the stitches on his britches. If He's having them sewn third party, are they up to snuff?

Is the adjustment of the leg loops a one time deal - you set and leave alone, and can adjust rump strap as needed. Or is it a situation where you have to fiddle each time you add/take away a layer, hunt a different angle tree, etc.

He and I are eye to eye on the waist buckle. Excellent choice my friend.

Bridge length - is he going to offer specific bridge lengths, or will he only offer the 3 stated in the video?

Any difference in taking a leak?

How long does it take to get the thing in a position, or off, to take a dump?

Walk two miles in 75* plus weather, wearing it, and report back on comfort level.

Back