• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What Rope to use for a Tether?

Mag1

Ok, I know there are a lot of threads on what rope to use, static vs dynamic, etc.... Can someone just narrow it down to a couple of double braid ropes that splice well? I know Samson predator is being used, but is hard to splice. Yale Bandit is used as well, but is getting harder to find? any other 11mm to 1/2" lines that are recommended that a DIY can easily splice? would like to have a 5" eye on one end, and can you put a small eye in the other? I have seen some ropes that say you cannot splice both ends due to milking issues?

My use will be a tether with a prusik or similar knot. I am not going with an ascender at this time, maybe in the future, but not at this year.

thanks for any info.

Ok, I know there are a lot of threads on what rope to use, static vs dynamic, etc.... Can someone just narrow it down to a couple of double braid ropes that splice well? I know Samson predator is being used, but is hard to splice. Yale Bandit is used as well, but is getting harder to find? any other 11mm to 1/2" lines that are recommended that a DIY can easily splice? would like to have a 5" eye on one end, and can you put a small eye in the other? I have seen some ropes that say you cannot splice both ends due to milking issues?

My use will be a tether with a prusik or similar knot. I am not going with an ascender at this time, maybe in the future, but not at this year.

thanks for any info.
I use 13mm static but I am sure that there is some that are smaller.

Just ordered 30 feet of predator rope from Wesspur. That's what I use for a tether and lineman belt and bridge.

thanks for any info.

My favorite ropes can’t be spliced so that doesn’t help you. If you want splices look at the ropes that tethrd is selling and it will save you some work. Ernie sent me some recently and they seem like a great option.

thanks for any info.
You can use a good double braid like poison ivy, You can premilk a rope to get majority of the excess out of it. I have a YouTube video on how to do it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I like the predator, but from all the guys trying to splice it, not sure I want to try it on predator. I like the DIY aspect, so I want to do my own vs our new secret buddies ropes.

Ok, did a little more digging, I think I found the comparable rope to the offerings from our buddies. . Will have to order some up one of these days and make some new gear. My existing stuff is ok, just lots of big knots, and not the right stuff to splice.

I'm using Samson ultratek 9mm with a sewn loop and Ropeman1..... yes I know it's not rated but worked fine last season and I use a stopper knot.

I was in the same position as you last week. I wanted to do the spliced eyes myself, but couldn't find a rope recommended rope. Without a clear recommendation, I bit the bullet and had WesSpur spice eyes. The shipping under $99 was something like $17, so I went in with a friend and we got two five inch splices and two tight eyes shipped for $136.10, about $34 each.
I'd still like to splice because I have ten life lines that need replacing for my presets.

Here is a link for the hard to splice double braid ropes. I have now tried it on Tachyon Ash (11.5mm), they say it is easy to splice. Ha, I gave up, got some more rope from RWrope, and have that tether done. But, I couldn't just leave this one on the bench to be wasted, so I was able to pull it back apart (hard to do) then had another go at it. I now have 1 - 5" eye done, and will finish the other tomorrow. Here is a link that was helpful. I used the New England double braid splicing instructions, but tweaked them on the tapers more like in this link. I haven't perfected it, but they came out pretty good. It seems like the area you really need to pay attention to is the core and cover taper's. Also, instead of using a FID to push the core into the main line, I used some electrical wire (12 ga) to push from the main line towards the eye end, then pulled the core back thru. it still takes some time, a hammer was useful, along with some gloves for the milking process.

hopefully this will help on some of the harder splicing ropes.

http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/threads/splicing-velocity-and-tachyon.27903/

I still struggle to splice dyneema. So, when the time came for a linesman belt and tether, I ordered 20' of Samson Predator from Wesspur. Similar to Rico, above, I had them splice a tight eye on one end, and a five inch eye on the other. I then cut this line exactly in half. I slipped a Petzl Zillon on the half with the tight eye, and tied off a stopper knot; I use this as my linesman belt. Admittedly, the Zillon is expensive, but compared to the Ropeman is smooth as butter. The length of line with the five inch eye became my tether, also tied off on the end with a stopper. I use a HRC eye-to-eye prusik with a carabiner to tie into my bridge, and am totally satisfied with how tether and belt both turned out.

What about using 5/16” amsteel as a tether? I have some left over from another project and don’t recall seeing anyone mention an amsteel tether.

What about using 5/16” amsteel as a tether? I have some left over from another project and don’t recall seeing anyone mention an amsteel tether.

I’m sure it could be made to work but the general consensus is that there is much better rope for tether & lineman use

I don’t think anyone found that a Ropeman will consistently grab either

Plenty of great 8mm-12mm that people normally use & will work with ropeman 1 or 2

I’m gonna go with 9mm Samson ultra tech for both but amsteel on all my sticks and stands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know. Been using the HSS tree rope for a tether for a couple seasons now without issue.

I still struggle to splice dyneema. So, when the time came for a linesman belt and tether, I ordered 20' of Samson Predator from Wesspur. Similar to Rico, above, I had them splice a tight eye on one end, and a five inch eye on the other. I then cut this line exactly in half. I slipped a Petzl Zillon on the half with the tight eye, and tied off a stopper knot; I use this as my linesman belt. Admittedly, the Zillon is expensive, but compared to the Ropeman is smooth as butter. The length of line with the five inch eye became my tether, also tied off on the end with a stopper. I use a HRC eye-to-eye prusik with a carabiner to tie into my bridge, and am totally satisfied with how tether and belt both turned out.

Could you girth hitch the tight eye end to lineman’s loop, or is it to small? I’m thinking of doing the same but want to girth hitch the loop end and I don’t know what a tight eye is. If it’s to small I think my only option would be to do a 2” sewn eye, I think.

Good to know. Been using the HSS tree rope for a tether for a couple seasons now without issue.

HSS works great plus it’s cheap & readily available

I’ve used it but need longer ropes so gonna downsize to 9mm to minimize bulk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you girth hitch the tight eye end to lineman’s loop, or is it to small? I’m thinking of doing the same but want to girth hitch the loop end and I don’t know what a tight eye is. If it’s to small I think my only option would be to do a 2” sewn eye, I think.
Yes, you can girth hitch a tight eye, and I imagine some people would prefer that method of attachment since it eliminates a piece of hardware. For myself, I just use a compact carabiner.

Finally got some predator rope to try some more splicing. This stuff is much easier than the tachian ash (spelling) I did last year. I also found some other good info on some arborists web sites on splicing. Still takes some work to do, but a lot less work then before. Almost done with a new tether, when my flex comes in, going to put eyes on the bridge, and will be making up an i2i rope for attaching beige to tether.

I just got my spliced Predator rope from Wespur last night. I got 2x8’, one with a 5” eye for a tether and one with a 2” eye for linesman’s. When I girth hitched the 2” eye, the rope didn’t want to bend much near the eye due to the rope sheath build up. Thinking of attaching it with a biner unless someone has a better way.

I just got my spliced Predator rope from Wespur last night. I got 2x8’, one with a 5” eye for a tether and one with a 2” eye for linesman’s. When I girth hitched the 2” eye, the rope didn’t want to bend much near the eye due to the rope sheath build up. Thinking of attaching it with a biner unless someone has a better way.
That's what I do for a 2 inch eye . Works well

Back