• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What s the name of this climbing method?

Based on your link, it is called Youtube and was invented by someone at Google/Alphabet...or it could be you provided the wrong link.

aider climbing with a step?

all i know is that the ad that played before that video had to do with ear wax removal....and the guy pulled a piece of ear wax out that looked like a chewed on sugar daddy candy....and now i'm not hungry for din-din

ps...that method would allow me to cut my climbing system weight in half (from 12 to 6 treehopper steps).....you have to stand on one leg to set the next step ahead of you

nope, my 45 year old knees want 2 feet on steps and also it is more stable/safer that way as well

aider climbing with a step?

all i know is that the ad that played before that video had to do with ear wax removal....and the guy pulled a piece of ear wax out that looked like a chewed on sugar daddy candy....and now i'm not hungry for din-din
I got that one too... what does that say about us?

ps...that method would allow me to cut my climbing system weight in half (from 12 to 6 treehopper steps).....you have to stand on one leg to set the next step ahead of you

nope, my 45 year old knees want 2 feet on steps and also it is more stable/safer that way as well
Are you using 2 steps at the same level or 1 step per level staggered? Wondering cause I am working on the former.

Take another look. Standing on a step with left foot and aider on right foot. I tried it and it was very comfortable for my 68 year old legs. Give it a try, felt the same to me as standing on two steps.

I use a similar climbing method (modified Cain method) using WE Stepps and a knaider. It requires an over the head tie on of the stepps which I'm not a fan of but I've mastered the technique none the less. The first stepp gets tied on at 3' the second stepp is tied on over head (hand hold) gets tied on such that the first step can be hooked with the knaider and the second stepp will be waist high when I'm on the first step, I can clip in with a biner attached to my shortened bridge, this leaves me hands free to tie on the next step. For me the stepps end up being about 3 feet apart. 6 stepps = 18'. I access the last stepp using the linesman. When up on the last stepp with the linesman around the tree I can tie on my Predator. Set the platform and tether in above to get onto the platform.
This method allows me to climb without a tether or a linesman belt until I access the last stepp, which is why I worked so hard on the overhead tie on (this technique can also be used with both the linesman and tether, for added safety) No problem with trees with a lot of limbs. I realize this method as I use it requires the acceptance of a little more risk so is not for everyone. What my technique doesn't have is a long aider to stand up on, and the WE stepps give me a place for both my feet when I'm aloft and solid hand holds. I carry a swaider so if I need extra height I transition to the K/S climbing method. 6 stepps and I'm 30+ feet if I need to be. Between the two methods I can climb them all (tree diameter being the limiting factor). The OP's method will certainly be lighter using steps.

Last edited:
This method allows me to climb without a tether or a linesman belt
I assume you mean without a LB, not really without a tether. I can't imagine you are free climbing between steps. You did mention added risk so perhaps you are. Or maybe I am misunderstanding your method.

Everytime I decide on a new climbing method something else catches my eye. Thought I was changing to 2TC, then I decided to use my platform to climb with, now I think I will be looking for some cranford steps to try this

I assume you mean without a LB, not really without a tether. I can't imagine you are free climbing between steps. You did mention added risk so perhaps you are. Or maybe I am misunderstanding your method.
Free climbing by hand only.

Free climbing by hand only.
But just in case it was missed, you are clipping to a step while attaching the next one. Yeah it’s a riskier method than some but with a WE step for a hand hold it’s pretty secure if your agile enough.

I use a similar climbing method (modified Cain method) using WE Stepps and a knaider. It requires an over the head tie on of the stepps which I'm not a fan of but I've mastered the technique none the less. The first stepp gets tied on at 3' the second stepp is tied on over head (hand hold) gets tied on such that the first step can be hooked with the knaider and the second stepp will be waist high when I'm on the first step, I can clip in with a biner attached to my shortened bridge, this leaves me hands free to tie on the next step. For me the stepps end up being about 3 feet apart. 6 stepps = 18'. I access the last stepp using the linesman. When up on the last stepp with the linesman around the tree I can tie on my Predator. Set the platform and tether in above to get onto the platform.
This method allows me to climb without a tether or a linesman belt until I access the last stepp, which is why I worked so hard on the overhead tie on (this technique can also be used with both the linesman and tether, for added safety) No problem with trees with a lot of limbs. I realize this method as I use it requires the acceptance of a little more risk so is not for everyone. What my technique doesn't have is a long aider to stand up on, and the WE stepps give me a place for both my feet when I'm aloft and solid hand holds. I carry a swaider so if I need extra height I transition to the K/S climbing method. 6 stepps and I'm 30+ feet if I need to be. Between the two methods I can climb them all (tree diameter being the limiting factor). The OP's method will certainly be lighter using steps.
I think I have seen this on a video. Glad it's working for you.
As you mentioned, we all have different standards as to what is safe. And we all hunt at different heights. I typically hunt at 16' to 18'.
I am not climbing with this method as the guy in the video. I am taking 16" steps, so I hang my first step at 32" and the second at 64".
Once I am on my second step, I also attach my tether. With 6 Treehopper steps I can get to 16' and hang my platform at 18'. Six steps weigh about 2.5 Lbs. + my aider. This is the aider I am using, and I have a new foot loop on order from GCM. I am also going to try 2TC this summer and this aider will help with that.

Attachments

• Aider.jpg
    Aider.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 47
I think I have seen this on a video. Glad it's working for you.
As you mentioned, we all have different standards as to what is safe. And we all hunt at different heights. I typically hunt at 16' to 18'.
I am not climbing with this method as the guy in the video. I am taking 16" steps, so I hang my first step at 32" and the second at 64".
Once I am on my second step, I also attach my tether. With 6 Treehopper steps I can get to 16' and hang my platform at 18'. Six steps weigh about 2.5 Lbs. + my aider. This is the aider I am using, and I have a new foot loop on order from GCM. I am also going to try 2TC this summer and this aider will help with that.

What type of aider is that? Commercially available or diy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everytime I decide on a new climbing method something else catches my eye. Thought I was changing to 2TC, then I decided to use my platform to climb with, now I think I will be looking for some cranford steps to try this
How are you climbing with your platform??

I haven't actually tried it yet but there is a video on here with someone doing it with an ool platform and a 3 step aider. Another member posted some photos of how he uses his tree hopper with an aider. I guess the best way to describe it would be no sticking or single sticking with a platform. The video and thread are in climbing methods; Trees-uit platform climbing September 2020

Basically one-stick method except you are using the platform with aiders. Work really well depending on your choice of platforms. People have success with it using a Predator, or even a Mission which is 5lbs. But me personally, I like one-sticking with the lightest stick possible and standing on the largest platform as possible so I do not do this.

Back