• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What thread for webbing?

stevethebreeze

I am thinking about making a CAYG aider. I am going to use a water knot at the top but I am also wanting sew the ends after the knot is tied. (Maybe overkill but whatever)

What would be a strong thread to use while not compromising the integrity of the webbing? I have some thick wax thread I use for camping gear, etc but its pretty thick.

Thoughts?

Harbor freight for the stitcher and online for the thread....I recently got some military surplus thread from the sportsmansguide that I will use once the wax thread is gone....maybe @bj139 can tell us what all these #s mean...I dont know...its real strong and hard to break.

I inspect the stitches on my climbing stuff every use just to keep an eye and be sure...

20200730_230929.jpg20200730_230916.jpg

Harbor freight for the stitcher and online for the thread....I recently got some military surplus thread from the sportsmansguide that I will use once the wax thread is gone....maybe @bj139 can tell us what all these #s mean...I dont know...its real strong and hard to break.

I inspect the stitches on my climbing stuff every use just to keep an eye and be sure...

View attachment 31288View attachment 31289
Awesome. Thanks a bunch!

I guess I should make the disclaimer I'm not the safety guy....members on here know way more than me and the stuff I say could be dangerous.....listen to them if u want safety tech stuff.....I'm just a nobody who likes to make stuff with no training or certification or anything....speedy stitcher rules...I tried to break stuff and it doesnt fail

I guess I should make the disclaimer I'm not the safety guy....members on here know way more than me and the stuff I say could be dangerous.....listen to them if u want safety tech stuff.....I'm just a nobody who likes to make stuff with no training or certification or anything....speedy stitcher rules...I tried to break stuff and it doesnt fail
Oh yeah, no problem. I've used wax thread in larger situations where a couple thousand pounds was in play but like I said before, its fairly thick and I think it would actually make too large of a hole and possibly cause tears in the webbing maybe.
I appreciate the info. And I dont hold you responsible for any harm that my come from my own DIY. There you go, its in writing. lol

View attachment 31288View attachment 31289
I think T-400 means TEX400 thread. I used TEX90 Kevlar for my saddle. TEX70 would be fine for stitching the ends down on a knot. The load will be on the knot, not on the stitching so I doesn't have to be strong, just prevent the end from working it's way out of the knot.. I use TEX70 sold as Guttermans upholstery thread at Joanns fabrics to sew most things and go to TEX90 for weight bearing connections. I tried some TEX138 recently and my sewing machine sewed with it fine.

I used the speedy stitcher (Harbor Freight version) here with the thread it comes with.

Last edited:
I think T-400 means TEX400 thread. I used TEX90 Kevlar for my saddle. TEX70 would be fine for stitching the ends down on a knot. The load will be on the knot, not on the stitching so I doesn't have to be strong, just prevent the end from working it's way out of the knot.. I use TEX70 sold as Guttermans upholstery thread at Joanns fabrics to sew most things and go to TEX90 for weight bearing connections. I tried some TEX138 recently and my sewing machine sewed with it fine.

I used the speedy stitcher (Harbor Freight version) here with the thread it comes with.
Thanks for the info!

You should sew webbing with a ball point needle which spreads the webbing. A sharp needle is worse. Even worse is the needle that comes with a Speedy Stitcher. It is a cutting needle (sharp edge) useful for leather work. Try sewing a bunch of webbing with it and then remove the thread and look at your webbing with a magnifier and good light. You will find that you have cut your webbing everywhere that you have made a stitch.

You can get large sewing machine needles that are ball point and then chuck them into a speedy stitcher and hand sew. Also, you can just get a large hand needle and learn to do bar tacks by hand. They are very strong.

Here is what Schmetz has to say about needle usage. I use universal needles which they describe as slight ball point.

Back