• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What to do with my hawks

GrantEagle

I am brand new the the saddle world. I have 3 of the 3 step hawk helium’s. I like to hunt as high as possible so should get more stick or should I try out aiders?

I am brand new the the saddle world. I have 3 of the 3 step hawk helium’s. I like to hunt as high as possible so should get more stick or should I try out aiders?
I have the same sticks I carry 3 and I use a 2 step aider from amsteel. I easily get to about 18ft to my platform with that set up. Could probably stretch it a little higher too. This coming season I’m planning on only carrying 2 30” hawks and a couple silent approach steps to lighten my pack. I can get the same height.

I have the same sticks I carry 3 and I use a 2 step aider from amsteel. I easily get to about 18ft to my platform with that set up. Could probably stretch it a little higher too. This coming season I’m planning on only carrying 2 30” hawks and a couple silent approach steps to lighten my pack. I can get the same height.
Where did you get your amsteel aiders? Did you find it difficult to get used to using aiders?

Amsteel aiders for Hawks are actually really easy to make. Aside from the amsteel, a knitting needle from Walmart and some tubing from tractor supply is all you need. Lots of videos online.

Guys...what is the general consensus on the safety of running aiders through the holes on the hawk helium steps.
Is there enough "meat" there to support an average guys weight?

Guys...what is the general consensus on the safety of running aiders through the holes on the hawk helium steps.
Is there enough "meat" there to support an average guys weight?
From what I've seen thats what people do. The one I'm borrowing now from a friend is looped through and the bight is hooked onto the outside of the step. I'm at work or is take a picture. Seems to work well though the second time I went to climb on it when I put my foot in I quickly found out it had lossened and came off the edge of the step. Easy to reattach but definitely something to check before you put your foot in

I've never been at all concerned about mine, but I'm 195# in my gear and only hunt 1 or 2 times a week. I guess if you're a "heavy user" literally or figuratively, you'd have to decide if it's safe for you.

I carried 4 sticks with a single step aider from https://www.backwoodsmobilegear.com last year.
It straps to your foot. Sets on your verses button. So you use it from stick to stick. I could get 20' with out reaching to bad. Now. With that said, I had some problems with it last fall. Has a elastic cord so you can attach it else were in case it comes loose. Problem is forget to take it off the verses button, step higher and it catches, goes tight, or falls off your foot. So AM hunts in the dark were kinda cumbersome.(needed more practice). My plan for this season is going to be 3 sticks. Two step aider on the bottom stick. Maybe do a cable aider on the other 2. Should get me around 20, but places I hunt that it usually to high. But those all might come with some new sticks as doublestep feather lights keep looking better.

I’m 245# and I’ve never had an issue with the aider run thru the holes on the step. I just got the UtimAider and it works great!!!! I am looping it over the folding steps for convenience unlike my Amsteel (which was girth hitched thru the holes on the step) So I can remove for transportation and not get tangled like the rest seem to do.

Back