• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What to upgrade first?

Teamclark

Last year was my first season saddle hunting I am looking to upgrade my setup but can only afford to do it in stages. I am currently using a modified sitdrag with RCH, diy platforms (either an old tree seat or a primal step with plywood insert) and an alps pursuit backpack. I just upgraded to 20” helium sticks so I am happy with my climbing method (once I add the daisy chains). If I can only upgrade one thing this year (saddle, platform or pack) what do you guys recommend and why?

Pack would definitely last. So it would be between your saddle and platform. Whichever your least comfortable with is what I'd look at changing.

You may be able to do all three. :)

Check out my video on the YouTubes and pick yourself up a OOAL Solo Scout. Give it a week and you'll be able to efficiently climb with it. Turns out... the Solo doubles as a platform (who knew?). Then sell your brand new Heliums and apply the funds when a deal on a saddle pops up.

Out of those two I’d swap out platform.

Sit drags work and are comfy. At least I was able to comfortably sit all day in a sit drag.

Platform/feet comfort means hunting 3 hours vs all day.

I agree, platform. Ordinarily I would say saddle but if you made it through last season with a relatively comfortable butt and back then I say platform. It’s foot comfort and also the base of what your shoot off of if you think about the relationship of your body and how you shoot a bow or aim a gun, crossbow, whatever. I know when I shoot, the whole system/sequence of the shot starts at my feet, whether I’m on the ground or in a tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saddles are just a fad. I’ve had a bunch and wasn’t overly impressed with any. They all look cool though. The sitdrag is really comfortable. I’d go for the solo scout.

Saddles are just a fad. I’ve had a bunch and wasn’t overly impressed with any. They all look cool though. The sitdrag is really comfortable. I’d go for the solo scout.

Yeah solo scout or scout for hawks. Half the price of most any other platform and pretty comfy. Less $$ means closer to saddle purchase.

Platform. If you go for the scout, I recommend the stick mounted version. More foot room.

I vote saddle. I started off in a sit drag and loved the concept, but was never comfortable for more than an hour or two. I upgraded to a kestrel and was hooked. Way more comfortable for me, plus setup was quicker and easier with a one piece rig with molle dump pouches added to the rear.

Platform was never that important to me. I often just hunted atop my sticks and had no issue with it. Your primal plywood setup is more than sufficient.

Plus having a backup saddle can be advantageous for a couple of different reasons, like for example if you hunt soaking rain in the morning and want to go back out in the evening without a wet butt.

Last edited:
Yeah I vote saddle as well. I don’t care what I stand on but saddle comfort is more important to me. But it’s all the same difference, just a tool to shoot deer.

Yeah solo scout or scout for hawks. Half the price of most any other platform and pretty comfy. Less $$ means closer to saddle purchase.

How is the scout for hawks (or other sticks if that’s what you have) with sturdiness and stability on the tree? The thing I don’t like about the primal/plywood platform I have now is that there is a fair amount of side to side rocking back and forth when I shift my weight or swing out to one side and I would think that a stick mounted platform would be likely to have similar issues.

Also on a small and downward angled platform like the scout, how easy is it to relieve weight on your tether and adjust your saddle or tether height?

Maybe it depends if you lean more or sit more... personally, I sit about 80% of the time, so it would be the saddle.

I recommend you go to a saddle meet up near you. Try some saddles, try some platforms and decide.
For me I just don’t see a huge advantage in a “saddle” over a sitdrag.

See you in a tree, Ricky

As far as a platform goes, being on a tight budget, I'd subscribe to OOAL and wait for a discount (they just had one on Fathers Day) which they offer fairly often and pick up a Podium. Great platform at a really reasonable price. Then start setting aside your nickles and dimes to save up for a nice second hand saddle.

Last edited:
If you feel like your saddle system is safe and comfortable I'd go with the platform. Nice to have something solid under your feet that you know won't move if you have to put some side pressure on it. Also a little extra room under your feet is never a bad thing. I do also like my level platform for readjusting and shot options.

Back