• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What tree to pick?

Mbm2191

Going ro be getting ready for my first sit in a saddle. I'm just curious on the consensus if pine trees are a go or no go?

Where I hunt some areas are nothing but pines but have a lot of deer moving through. But I was always taught by my family growing up never put a stand in a pine tree. So am I just let old habits get the best of me or should I still listen to that mentality.

Just bear in mind the pine trees I would choose are definitely sizeable and imo substantial.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Biggest issue I've had with pine trees is having clear shooting lanes once I'm up if the tree was not prepped prior. That and getting sap on your clothing.

"Never put a stand in a tree line"?????

I killed a few deer out of the same pine tree last year early season. It gave me the best set up on an oak tree they were coming to 3+ times a day. I was climbing on bolts. I would throw the bolts in the dirt as they came out of the tree to kind of take the sticky away. Then I would throw them in a separate pouch. Every broken branch and nick in the tree would release ungodly amounts of sap, BUT I was killing deer, so I didn't mind.... Too much.

I’ve been trying to find out too. Most pines I’m finding are full of beetles or branch’s, but sometimes there will be one that looks good. I don’t poke any holes when I climb and sit, but still have reservations about going up one.

Here in NW Florida pine trees are everywhere climb them all the time but sap as others have said can be an issue. Another issue I hate is the bottoms of the tree to about 6-7 feet up will be black with soot from them burning the woods. And will get all over everything drives me nuts lol.. I’ve killed plenty of deer out of pine trees in the wide ass open no cover just a big bump in the tree. I climb oak trees every chance I get just not as many oaks as pines here or there so big I can’t get my hands around them. I try to find a pine with another tree by it as a back drop when I can but that’s not always an option when I’m in the open I just get higher up and have my head on a swivel. as long as your still most times the deer look up but don’t notice most times. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my younger days back in NJ, I killed many deer from pine trees. The nickname for the area where I grew up was called "The Pine Barrens". Sometimes that was all you had to hunt from. If it's in the right spot, hunt it!

The last 3 trees I climbed were pines with big flaky bark. No problems actually liked them. No sap problems just a little extra debris when pulling rope down. I won’t hesitate to climb another one!

Back