• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What type of rope?

Brand new to the game. So far I have a Mantis XL and some other items one that way. I am planning on one-sticking and rappelling. I've been reading a lot on here and watching youtube gathering info as I go. My question is what rope do I need for climb/rappel? I guess more specifically type (dry, static, dynamic, etc.), strength and diameter. Thanks in advance

back up this info with your own research because I'm new and don;t want to lead you astray but also been looking into this:

you want static rope, not dynamic, and never ever ever climb above your tether. get a climbing rated rope NOT one from a big box store/ hardware store. check out doublesteps.com, lots of people like that site and the guy that runs it is a member here @DanO. sterling oplux is 8mm (doublesteps also carries another 8mm rope that's pretty much identical) is about the thinnest you'll want but be warned that diameter isn't rated for use with a LOT of mechanical devices/ATCs so you may want to stick with a thicker rope. thicker rope = more friction in the same device= safer rappel (in a simplistic newbie way, this is MUCH more nuanced and rope/device rope/prussik combos play a big factor too). many people use ropes from 9-11mm and they work great, just slightly bulkier/heavier to pack in and out.

a lot of people will use devices that are slightly out of spec- the madrock safeguard is a popular rappeling option, and sometimes is used on 8mm rope though i think it's only rated down to 8.1? There's also a large crew that prefers an ATC or tubular belay device backed up with an autoblock/prussik (or similar style) knot on the free "tag end" side some also use a blake's hitch or other arborist knots. some people also use a prussik higher up on the tree side above your rapelling device as a redundant safety.

there's an overwhelming amount of into to research, it'll all start making sense soon, hope that helps you get started. (and again, please verify anything i've said elsewhere!)

back up this info with your own research because I'm new and don;t want to lead you astray but also been looking into this:

you want static rope, not dynamic, and never ever ever climb above your tether. get a climbing rated rope NOT one from a big box store/ hardware store. check out doublesteps.com, lots of people like that site and the guy that runs it is a member here @DanO. sterling oplux is 8mm (doublesteps also carries another 8mm rope that's pretty much identical) is about the thinnest you'll want but be warned that diameter isn't rated for use with a LOT of mechanical devices/ATCs so you may want to stick with a thicker rope. thicker rope = more friction in the same device= safer rappel (in a simplistic newbie way, this is MUCH more nuanced and rope/device rope/prussik combos play a big factor too). many people use ropes from 9-11mm and they work great, just slightly bulkier/heavier to pack in and out.

a lot of people will use devices that are slightly out of spec- the madrock safeguard is a popular rappeling option, and sometimes is used on 8mm rope though i think it's only rated down to 8.1? There's also a large crew that prefers an ATC or tubular belay device backed up with an autoblock/prussik (or similar style) knot on the free "tag end" side some also use a blake's hitch or other arborist knots. some people also use a prussik higher up on the tree side above your rapelling device as a redundant safety.

there's an overwhelming amount of into to research, it'll all start making sense soon, hope that helps you get started. (and again, please verify anything i've said elsewhere!)
Thanks for your help. You answered a couple of my questions and gave me some more insight.

What those above me said plus @DanO at doublestep.com have an awesome stick you can buy that's all ready set up for one stick with an aider attached and a video on the page on using it.

Brand new to the game. So far I have a Mantis XL and some other items one that way. I am planning on one-sticking and rappelling. I've been reading a lot on here and watching youtube gathering info as I go. My question is what rope do I need for climb/rappel? I guess more specifically type (dry, static, dynamic, etc.), strength and diameter. Thanks in advance
40' of 8mm Oplux from DanO and a madrock safeguard...you wont have to buy any other options...spend the money right the first time and you wont spend it twice

I was honestly thinking of going to a 10mm rope just because of the safeguards rating. I see a lot of folks going 8mm but I’m not a minimalist when it comes to weight carried and a larger diameter isn’t going to make much difference I think weight wise.

Back