• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Whats everyones favorite squirrel recipe?

Typical **** on a shingle recipe.

Slow cook until the meat falls off the bone, fry in butter with salt and pepper, add to country gravy with or without hot breakfast sausage. Pour over buttered toast.

All I know is that you absolutely can not send em strait to the grease. I learned that the hard way last week. Those suckers came out as hard as rocks.
Depends on the squirrel.

Small squirrel, with pinkish meat, skins easily, and has not-well-developed primary and secondary sexual characteristics? That's a frying squirrel.

Big, grizzly-looking thing that has nuts the size of of a golf ball or big ole tiddies, grayish tint to the meat, and feels like you have to wrestle with the hide to rip it off? That's a pot squirrel.

Fryers can 100% be put straight in a little flour, spice, and oil and eaten as-is. Or cook'em with your favorite hot-wings recipe. Pot squirrels usually go in the instant pot for a half hour or so with a little home made chicken broth until they can be picked. Then they can be made into stew, dumplings, tacos, BBQ sandwiches, whatever. Just substitute in the place of whatever you'd use pulled chicken for. Squirrel salad sammich, anybody?

My favorite is to coat in flour s&p, pan fry in oil until browned. Make up a mushroom cream gravy if ya know your way around that sorta deal (or use campbells cream of mushroom if'n ya don't) with the pan drippings. Add back your squirrel parts, bake at 300 until it falls off the bone, about an hour. Serve with your favorite carb accompaniment.

Par-cooking in liquid, then grilling with bbq or wing sauce is another winner.

I've always gone for the fall off the bone approach, haven't tried these frying squirrels yet.

These all sound delicious and make me want to hunt some squirrels. Problem is in my state squirrel season ends basically when deer season ends in December. I'm not giving up deer hunting opportunities to hunt squirrels. I wonder why the state doesn't expand the squirrel season? Far as I can tell hardly anybody hunts them, and they are everywhere. Why not have it open year round? Or at least through the winter?

Depends on the squirrel.

Small squirrel, with pinkish meat, skins easily, and has not-well-developed primary and secondary sexual characteristics? That's a frying squirrel.

Big, grizzly-looking thing that has nuts the size of of a golf ball or big ole tiddies, grayish tint to the meat, and feels like you have to wrestle with the hide to rip it off? That's a pot squirrel.

Fryers can 100% be put straight in a little flour, spice, and oil and eaten as-is. Or cook'em with your favorite hot-wings recipe. Pot squirrels usually go in the instant pot for a half hour or so with a little home made chicken broth until they can be picked. Then they can be made into stew, dumplings, tacos, BBQ sandwiches, whatever. Just substitute in the place of whatever you'd use pulled chicken for. Squirrel salad sammich, anybody?
Dunno what I did wrong then... maybe she was the pot kind.

Dunno what I did wrong then... maybe she was the pot kind.
It's also very easy to overcook a squirrel. You want it to BARELY draw up on the bone.

Squirrel will never be melt-in-your mouth, but it can be almost the equivalent of chicken texture if the squirrel is a good'un and the cook is experienced.

love me some squirrel and drop dumplins.......but most get fried in a cast iron skillet.
aktZzzh.jpg

Best thing to do with skwerl is trade 'em for dove or crappie. :)

NB pretty well spelled it out, young gray's are for frying, older grays and fox skwerls go in the crock pot. Good in pot pies too along with the stuff he mentioned like tacos and BBQ. Havent tried the skwerl salad sammich but that's going on the agenda. Grandma loved brains and eggs, that's a hard no for me.

I throw em in water with a beef cube and their blended up livers. Cook em till I can pull it with ease. Take out of gravy and pull meat. Throw back in the bits and boil until most the water is gone. Add in a little butter and pepper and a pinch of flour and brown the gravy good. Eat over rice, add to a taco with smothered onions or mushrooms or both, eat it as is with a spoon.

My dad makes a squirrel marsala recipe that is mighty fine. I have a few in my freezer now that are marked for use in Steve Rinella's squirrel hot wings recipe, and I'm pretty excited about that.

That hot wing recipe is pretty fine! The key is frying it the second time. My wife and I love it. Squirrel hinds and rabbit fronts are ideal for the recipe.

Back