• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Whats everyones favorite venison recipe?

CamoMan

Since the squirrel one was popular, figured we should give this one a go. Let everyone know your favorite venison recipe!

I like a good simple backstrap preparation either grilled hot and fast with S&P, maybe garlic, or seared with a pan sauce. But such a simple preparation really isn't what I'd call a "recipe" although it really highlights the simplicity and emphasizes good technique over gimmickry and overpowering flavor.

I crave tons of dishes with the burger, but really it's just burger. Same thing to a degree with pulled/shredded venison. Blank canvas you can do a ton of stuff with, but nothing distinctive about the fact that it is venison in a lot of those dishes.

Framing the question in that manner, I would say my favorite venison "recipe" is shanks in a rich velvety red chili sauce. I just love how traditional Mexican flavors marry with venison. So good, and you still know you're eating venison. And shanks are just incredible when you learn how to work with them.

Another of my favorites that is a little more "cheffy" than your basic jalepeno popper but not really difficutl at all is roulade, and really you can go a million different directions with the stuffing and sauce.

Last edited:
I like backstraps, and most cuts, either steaked or chunked in a pan with butter, salt and pepper. If I get fancy I use North Country steak and roast seasoning from Iron Skillet, just a little.
Also love venison bacon cheese burgers with sauteed onion. Cook the bacon in the pan, cook the onion in some of the grease, cook the burgers in the same pan to rare, top with the onion then with the cheese. The key is to deglaze the pan just before you take them out with a Cabernet Sauvignon and reduce. Pour that over the whole thing, bam!!
Rub a roast with seasoning and wrap in foil over night and smoke a hind quarter roast to 135 degrees, take it out and let it rest. Wrap it in foil and put in the fridge for a day or two if you can, and slice it thin. Best roast beef ever.

I like it all.

Fried: backstrap accompanied with flour gravy and mac and cheese is my fave.
Grilled: back strap wrapped in bacon and stuffed with creme cheese. (I love to do the bacon weave and jalapeno and creme cheese)
Tacos, Fajitas, etc. The list goes on and on.

We haven't bought store sold meat consistently in the last 8 years. We use venison for everything.

Deer heart marinated in olive oil, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire and some spices. Cooked up with some sliced bell peppers. Amazing.

Homemade deer pastrami for reubens

Backstrap reverse seared with whatever seasoning I'm filling at the time

I think my favorite thing for ground, besides burgers with diced onions and bacon mixed in before cooking, is making jerky. PS Seasonings cracked pepper and garlic mix is amazing.

Backstraps slices to about 1/2”-3/4” thick, marinated in Italian dressing and brown sugar over night. Get your grill nice and hot and cook those babies for a minutes or two on each side. Tastes like candy.

I love to take a backstrap, marinade it in Montreal steak marinade along with some of @IkemanTX ghost pepper sauce of a few hours. Toss in on the Pit Barrel Cooker on the rack until it hits 145 .... man it is like butter!

If you enjoy trying new recipes I would recommend a book my daughter got me called Buck, Buck, Moose by Hank Shaw. It is a collection of traditional venison recipes from all over the world plus lots of general information on field dressing/butchering/preparing your deer. I like that it has specific recipes for the different cuts/muscle groups such as a shoulder roast or a braised shank and soups, stews, and sausages. It got me out of taking my deer to a processor and getting the usual backstrap/steaks/burger and into butchering my own deer.

Whole venison loin cast-iron seared and butter baste to finish. Get a cast-iron skillet hot and add grapeseed oil. Generously salt (Maldon) and pepper the meat (4-6 inch sections of whole loin trimmed of fat and silver skin). Place loin in cast iron and press down to begin nice sear and crust. After several minutes turn and continue developing crust all the way around. Don't rush it, let the crust form. After solid sear on all sides (including ends), lower heat and add 2-3 tablespoons of butter, 3-4 smashed garlic cloves, rosemary and thyme sprigs. Butter baste the loin for several minutes. You can continue basting or finish in a 400 degree oven to desired doneness. I am a mid-rare to medium fan at most. Pull and let rest 5-10 minutes. Slice 1/4-1/2 inch slices and then finish with a sprinkle of Maldon Salt. Delicious, juicy, tender and shows off the delicious true taste of venison.

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 10.03.03 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 10.03.18 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 10.05.18 PM.jpg

If you enjoy trying new recipes I would recommend a book my daughter got me called Buck, Buck, Moose by Hank Shaw. It is a collection of traditional venison recipes from all over the world plus lots of general information on field dressing/butchering/preparing your deer. I like that it has specific recipes for the different cuts/muscle groups such as a shoulder roast or a braised shank and soups, stews, and sausages. It got me out of taking my deer to a processor and getting the usual backstrap/steaks/burger and into butchering my own deer.

That book is on my list to buy. The Meat Eaters Fish and Game Cookbook is another nice cook book too.

My favorite is pancakes and venison steaks. Take smaller butterflied steaks and tenderize them with a tenderizer hammer while packing it with flour, seasoning is just simple salt and pepper. Get a pan nice and hot and add a stick of butter, then throw on the steaks. While those are frying, I whip up some pancake batter and cook those on a skillet.

Heart: chili. Back strap: seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder and mustard powder cooked over a hot wood fire to 125 degrees. Roast: brine at least 24 hours, coat with black pepper, smoke at 220 to 130-135 degrees, chill, slice thin, reheat in au jus serve on french roll with giardinare. Ground: burger steaks in an onion and mushroom gravy served over mashed potatoes that are at least 25 percent dairy. Canned: sos. Sausage: lets-make-sausage.com Christmas sausage recipe.

Back