• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Where are the liver lovers?

To loathe or love the liver

• Total voters

Hardly_Hangin

Fellas, i forgot jow much i LOVE chicken livers, just had some from popeyes. MMM. I had never considered deer liver before, but apparently its a thing to keep the liver and heart? Who here eats the liver, favorite way to prepare, same for heart?

Is it as good as chicken livers?

Just had deer heart for dinner, sauteed with onions and peppers. My buddy turned me on to it last year. I'm tempted to try the liver, but not sure if I can bring myself to do it. I like calf liver...

This is probably a uniformed post, but I've heard guys say the liver is the filter and is the most likely place to get something you don't want from. Any thoughts on this?

From my understanding, yes it filters chemicals/toxins but they aren't necessarily stored there. I think if the liver from a deer is unfit for consumption, the muscle would be as well. That said, an old timer once told me that deer eat mountain laurel which is poisonous to humans, and that I should never eat deer liver. It's stuck with me for years and try as I might, I can't shake it. I'm almost certain it's silly and isn't true. Just can't bring myself to eat deer liver...

This is probably a uniformed post, but I've heard guys say the liver is the filter and is the most likely place to get something you don't want from. Any thoughts on this?
Nothing is stored in the liver. Weston A Price was convinced liver is the best thing to eat,they recommend freezing it in little pellet shape and esting it raw. That is a little extreme for me.
Liver is full of good stuff though. I dont know how to cook it,it was not good when i tried it a few years ago..But i will try again. I think it is easy to overcook it and then it gets tough.

Does it taste anything like calf liver? I just picked up some calf liver from Kroger, wanted to try it. Been a long time since I had it so wanted to get it a shot.

I always assumed that, but whats the difference between a chicken liver filter and a deer liver filter?

Just had deer heart for dinner, sauteed with onions and peppers. My buddy turned me on to it last year. I'm tempted to try the liver, but not sure if I can bring myself to do it. I like calf liver...
Like, whole? Do you cut it up? Do you have to do anything special before you cook it? Do you eat it whole like you'd bite an apple?

Heart is delicious.
This video is the best cleaning & prep that I’ve seen.
I’ve eaten heart pan fried, and grilled.
I’m still hoping to find a way to use the liver.
As of right now, I feed the liver to my Dogs.
They love it.
This lady from MeatEater says liver blended into your sausage making would be a great use for it.

Like, whole? Do you cut it up? Do you have to do anything special before you cook it? Do you eat it whole like you'd bite an apple?
Cleaned it as I watched the linked Meateater video on YouTube. Lol. I've only had it sliced and sauteed. I did save some for a breakfast burrito. It's pretty dang good. Super tender. It doesn't really have a grain like other meats. Tenderness on par with tenderloin.

We ate liver once a month when I was a kid.
It read either pork or beef, too which I preferred pork. I tried cooking a deer liver a few years back. I cooked it the same way my dad did pork liver, and it wasn't for me. Never really did put my finger on why. It was always dredged in seasoned flour and fried in bacon grease or lard. I really enjoy the heart.

I absolutely hate liver but I always save them for a couple of elderly ladies I know. Older people seem to love them. I know a lot of people who like it including my dearly departed dad. I always saved one for him. As far as the heart goes,I think that is the best part of the deer and your missing out if you don't try it. I ate 5 one year by myself. Not all at once though. That would make me wanna puke. HaHa.

I love the heart. The liver is something I eat because of how good liver is for me, I'm not a fan of the taste. Mainly for the vitamin A, can't really get that many other ways. Soaking it in milk or brine overnight is a big help though. We bread it in almond flour and air fry it or get it crispy in some olive oil and then finish in the oven. It's not bad, but I'm not going to fight anyone over keeping a liver lol.

I always eat the heart and the liver. I’ve got a couple of favorite recipes for the liver: liver with bacon and onions, and liver Julienne. I’ll try to post up the recipes later.

Back