• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Where is all the acorns?

MattMan81

SH Member
Noticed last weekend, the amount of acorns around seems really low. Is that consistent with what you guys have been seeing? There is a hand full of Bur Oaks on the private I hunt that the deer around there love. But don't really see many this year. Also noted the big White oak next to my house is not raining very many acorns either like it normally does. Seems to be the consensus around the state from what guys have been saying. Have you guys noticed certain areas are still holding them? Or has it been all the trees have so few?
Curious what you guys have been seeing.

Acorns been raining near me, but i hunt 2 year cycle. Didn't see many last year.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Scouted the past few days finding a lot of acorns on the ground but all were bad once you crack them open. The areas I hunt have been exposed to excessive flooding the past few years and then a pretty severe drought compared to years before. Deer seem to be trying to eat the few that are good but hard to find the good ones.

Noticed last weekend, the amount of acorns around seems really low. Is that consistent with what you guys have been seeing? There is a hand full of Bur Oaks on the private I hunt that the deer around there love. But don't really see many this year. Also noted the big White oak next to my house is not raining very many acorns either like it normally does. Seems to be the consensus around the state from what guys have been saying. Have you guys noticed certain areas are still holding them? Or has it been all the trees have so few?
Curious what you guys have been seeing.

@MattMan81 - Like @Wyatt_burp said, mast crops generally have a two year cycle: One year the trees produce a large amount of nuts, and the other year they produce a much smaller crop. In my area (central CT), the mast crop was heavy last year, and it isn't heavy this year.

I guess if I think about it, I can remember high amount, low amount. But usually there was something. Sally didn't blow them off up here. The few I checked I couldn't find any sign of them. Nothing on the ground, nothing in the tree. Like they didn't make any. Guess a low crop, with a funky spring means extra low amount. Hope those farmers start picking the corn around here soon then.

I've always heard a drought will affect acorns 3 to 4 years down the road but not sure. I have a bunch behind my house and the public land ive been scouting the past 3 weeks is few and far between. Havent seen it this bad in years. I found one tree on public this morning that had some and it looked like the deer have been doing a line dance around it.

I always hear that oaks have their cycles like the books say....I have a big laurel oak in my front yard (white oak) and a handful of mature turkey oaks (red oak). If all the houses were gone and it was hunting woods I am on a higher elevation sand ridge 1/8 - 1/4 mile off a large tidal creek. We've lived here 10 years and I have noticed that the white oak will drop usually 3 year cycle of drop acorns 2 years and 1 year none.
The red oaks seem to live up to the biannual acorn drop but the trees aren't all on the same schedule so there are red oaks every year.....I have no proof but I would bet that the same tree in different regions will behave different... So many variables...

Acorns are heavy in my area...most I've seen in a long time

I always hear that oaks have their cycles like the books say....I have a big laurel oak in my front yard (white oak) and a handful of mature turkey oaks (red oak). If all the houses were gone and it was hunting woods I am on a higher elevation sand ridge 1/8 - 1/4 mile off a large tidal creek. We've lived here 10 years and I have noticed that the white oak will drop usually 3 year cycle of drop acorns 2 years and 1 year none.
The red oaks seem to live up to the biannual acorn drop but the trees aren't all on the same schedule so there are red oaks every year.....I have no proof but I would bet that the same tree in different regions will behave different... So many variables...

Acorns are heavy in my area...most I've seen in a long time
Careful there fugative. Don't want to give to much info away to the Feds about were your hiding out.:wink:

Our white oaks don’t seem to have anything. We had super late frost I think that might be the reason why. The reds are dropping some.

I've always heard a drought will affect acorns 3 to 4 years down the road but not sure. I have a bunch behind my house and the public land ive been scouting the past 3 weeks is few and far between. Havent seen it this bad in years. I found one tree on public this morning that had some and it looked like the deer have been doing a line dance around it.
And that my friend is where you pick the right stand for the wind and get some killin' done.

Same here in southern NY, not much doing on the acorn front. Can remember last year at this time saying to myself how loud it is with all them acorns dropping down through the leaves on the trees that it kinda sounded like rain.

In western NC, the trees are loaded and some have stated falling, but most are hanging. They typically do no drop for real until the first weeks of October, so it's almost time.
Lucky rascals!! I am gonna have to head your way to get any great hunting this year!!

Back