• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Which saddle do you plan to use during this hunting season?

cpeaden

There are many great saddles, and “which is best” is a personal subjective decision. An easier to answer more objective question that will provide useful insight on the current state of saddle hunters is:

Which saddle do you plan to use most during this upcoming hunting season? Try to answer with the name of the saddle first and then you can add justification or additional info afterward. Here is my example.

Tethrd Phantom – I bought my first and currently only saddle in January and used it on hog hunts in February. It worked well for me, so I assume I will continue to use it most during this upcoming season.

For me, this year it will be the Transformer. A couple years ago I bought a Notch Sentry to use for tree trimming, that saddle convinced me of the comfort of a two-panel saddle. I'm sure I'll still use my single-panel saddles, but the Transformer will get the lion's share of use.

Recon by Treehopper. After using the Tactisaddle, Mantis, DIY sitdrag and H2 nothing compares to a two panel saddle for comfort.

Probably use the Cuzr XC the most. Might still occasionally use the Recon, JX3 and original Tactisaddle

XC is the best blend of pros with the least cons for me.

Pros: comfort, weight, conducive to SRT climbing, easy to wear while walking, adjustable, well-made

Cons: slightly heavier and very slightly more effort to put it on than the Recon and Tactisaddle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recon will get first sit. Then going to put my DIY fleece and DIY JX3 hybrid into the rotation for comparison. Been spending all year planning, now for real work testing.

I think I've gone as far as I can go with what I will buy. After this year, I'm going to pick just one to use solely. There are a lot of great products and great innovations recently. While I'm tempted to get the Transformer or the Dryad after seeing them, I'm at the point that I feel we can have one thing and be happy with it. Still exploring and finding the right climbing method or platform. I went into off season trying to find what works for me by trying everything first and crossing out what I know does not work for me. Now its all real world situation testing.

NOT list:
WE steps
Single panel (I dont consider a fleece a true single panel due to its size)
Knaider and Swaider
.5 or any hang on as a hybrid (unless tech allow for removal of cables)
2TC

Recon will get first sit. Then going to put my DIY fleece and DIY JX3 hybrid into the rotation for comparison. Been spending all year planning, now for real work testing.

I think I've gone as far as I can go with what I will buy. After this year, I'm going to pick just one to use solely. There are a lot of great products and great innovations recently. While I'm tempted to get the Transformer or the Dryad after seeing them, I'm at the point that I feel we can have one thing and be happy with it. Still exploring and finding the right climbing method or platform. I went into off season trying to find what works for me by trying everything first and crossing out what I know does not work for me. Now its all real world situation testing.

NOT list:
WE steps
Single panel (I dont consider a fleece a true single panel due to its size)
Knaider and Swaider
.5 or any hang on as a hybrid (unless tech allow for removal of cables)
2TC
Got pix of the DIY JX3?

Modded Jx3. No more random back pain/fidgeting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transformer and Cruzr XC. The XC is lighter and packs smaller so it'll travel with me on longer distances. Both are very comfortable

Latitude Classic…used it all last season and will do so again this year and most likely for years to follow, its a no frills, minimalistic and comfortable (for me) saddle. Ive owned and hunted out of the following and nothing compares: method, mantis, phantom, kestrel, tx5, recon, tactisaddle, H2, jx3, and dryad.

Latitude Classic…used it all last season and will do so again this year and most likely for years to follow, its a no frills, minimalistic and comfortable (for me) saddle. Ive owned and hunted out of the following and nothing compares: method, mantis, phantom, kestrel, tx5, recon, tactisaddle, H2, jx3, and dryad.
Looks like you tried almost all of them. ;.)

Phantom for deer drives ( less than an hour sits ) Cruzr XC for half day hunts and JX3 for all day and cold weather hunts.

Back