• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Which Trad bows still USA made?

DMTJAGER

I began my love for archery and soon after bow hunting at the ripe old age of 12
My older brother went all in on archery and got our dad to buy him a 55lb Bear Kodiak Magnum reserve bow and arrows. As was the norm my brother soon lost interest in the bow and it became mine
I shot and hunted with it for over 12 years years until I saved up to buy my first compound a York Archery Excalibur Compound
Unfortunately without my knowing until much much to late my brother gave the Kodiak magnum to a son of some looser bimbo he was involved with and I never saw it again.
I've often considered getting back into shooting a traditional bow but a good made in USA recurve is rather costly and I only would buy a made in USA bow.
Are there any affordable made in USA reserves out there?
What size aluminum arrows are for use in a 55lb recurve as I have several dozen left from my pre carbon archery life or is carbon arrows better?
And lastly If I were to buy used what would be some good advice in terms of avoiding buying a damaged used recerve say from a place like Ebay or Archery Talk?
Thanks
Art

Made in Texas talk to JJ he helped me with my 2 I had made not cheap but worth it

Back when I shot trad exclusively, I had a custom Mahaska that was affordable (all wood, one piece) and a Quinn with aluminum handle and wood limbs. They are both out of business. Unless you find a little known, starting bow maker, I'm willing to bet that your cheapest option will be a Martin or Bear (cheapest model they make). At the time, my Mahaska was one of the cheapest recurves from a USA maker and it cost like 425 for a basic model.

There's a bunch, but nothing is cheap now days. Used bears like you had could probably be found for $200. Id avoid ebay. Rms gear has a great selection of used bows.

There's a bunch, but nothing is cheap now days. Used bears like you had could probably be found for $200. Id avoid ebay. Rms gear has a great selection of used bows.

Yeah, high chance the limbs are twisted or there is an issue you can't see.

Honestly, I'd go to pawn or other second hand shops and look. If I could find a Bear Kodiak for less than 100 that had straight limbs and didn't look beat up, I'd grab it.

Go to the Leatherwall website, used bows in the classifieds and a lot are Amercan made. Bear and Martin are still made in the US and they have models in the range of 400 bucks! Shawn

Go to the Leatherwall website, used bows in the classifieds and a lot are Amercan made. Bear and Martin are still made in the US and they have models in the range of 400 bucks! Shawn

I just picked up a Bear Montana Long Bow and was surprised to find they are still made in the USA. My only other traditional is a Sage Recurve belive they are made in South Korea.

Bear bows are still made on the same forms that they have used for 50 plus years. Gainesville Florida, still hand finished and a lot of the finish work is done by hand! Shawn

Bear bows are still made on the same forms that they have used for 50 plus years. Gainesville Florida, still hand finished and a lot of the finish work is done by hand! Shawn
Nice bows, but unfortunately as you said, innovation died when Fred did.

The guys said American and not a lot of money. I could name 30 good bowyers. I will say you can get a nice custom from TimberHawk Bows out of Indiana for around $400 for his base model, if money is not an issue, Abe Penner makes one of the best performing and best crafted bows out there, just look up Caribow Custom Bows. He is out of Cananda but as I said there is none better! Shawn

Back