• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Who has removed leg straps? Any regrets?

My second hand recon doesn't have leg straps on it, not sure if I would like having them on it or not. It's an extra step while 2TC to make sure it's in place before sitting down to move the foot tether up, but a pair of leg straps digging into my groin sounds uncomfortable and like it would limit my movement.

I come from a perspective of using a rec climbing harness so leg straps are integral to its use but at the top I transfer weight to the Dryad Drey and the padded leg straps actually add comfort.

Good luck if you take a unexpected fall you will have a belt around you armpits! I can't think of a good reason to remove them but that's just me.

Yep, this right here. It could theoretically squeeze you to death like a constrictor snake in the woods. At the very least, it would make self-rescue very tough.

I cinch’em up when climbing and give’m a little slack once I’m set. I can’t even tell they are there. Based on that, why would I cut them off? If you fall without leg straps, the risk is definitely greater. Ever see a sky diver, who knows 100% that they are going to fall, jump without leg straps on their harness? Even if I didn’t use them I wouldn’t cut them off. I would secure them some way in case I ever changed my mind. Also, if you ever decide to sell that saddle, your audience will be smaller if you have cut the leg straps off.

Old Sit drags don't have waist belts or legstraps.and in Oregon little girls climb trees barefoot in dresses.be safe but don't be scared saddles are safer than you think.
Sit drag is very clear that they are to be used at ground level.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Old Sit drags don't have waist belts or legstraps.and in Oregon little girls climb trees barefoot in dresses.be safe but don't be scared saddles are safer than you think.
When I started tree stand hunting I did not use a safety harness or linesman rope.
They did not exist in the hunting industry.
I would never do that now.

Yep, this right here. It could theoretically squeeze you to death like a constrictor snake in the woods. At the very least, it would make self-rescue very tough.
Not to mention that if you go inverted, unless you are wearing your waist belt above the hips and tight like you are supposed to (and even then only if your waist is narrower than your hips :) ) your leg straps will keep you from sliding out. In the challenge course world you'd never dream of sending someone in the air with a seat harness without properly tightened leg straps.

This attitude is going to get someone killed. Probably someone who is just getting into saddle hunting, who gets on this site or (more likely) Facebook, gets a false sense of security from reading &%$# like this, and hops in a tree without knowing the risks.

This attitude is going to get someone killed. Probably someone who is just getting into saddle hunting, who gets on this site or (more likely) Facebook, gets a false sense of security from reading &%$# like this, and hops in a tree without knowing the risks.
I get the gist of what you're saying here, but liability is the user's responsibility. If you don't know and understand the risks, you have no place climbing a tree.

If I fall because I didn't know what I'm doing, and haven't used reliable information, I don't blame anyone but myself

Back