• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Why I am moving away from One Stick climbing method

DOMMA

I have been a proponent of One Stick Climbing and invested in all the gear and practiced all summer and early season here in MD. I still see the advantages over multiple sticks; lighter and easier to carry, climb to any height, and rappel down (the biggest advantage)

However, there are downsides that I could not get around that off-set the advantages.

1. There is no way to climb without introducing slack in the line. Not just once, but multiple times during a climb. Many do not care, I'm 55 and and safety is important.
2. Time to reach 20 feet. With my four full-length Beast sticks, one aider on first stick, I can get to 20 feet faster than 1-sticking
3. It requires more effort to 1- stick. Yea, I watched all the videos that make it look effortless, not true in my reality.
4. I found I had to be more selective in the trees I would climb. It is nearly impossible to retrieve your tether if the trees in the area are tight together with lots of branches. On several occasions I had to re-climb the tree to adjust the tether on top so I could pull it out of the tree from the bottom. Doing this in the dark sucks.

I'm now sticking with my 4 Beast Sticks and experimenting with different aiders so I can drop to 3 sticks and still reach 20 feet. I wish the Beast Sticks stacked better, because I often have long hikes in and out of the woods.

I though I would share these thoughts for those completing making the change to 1- stick climbing.

I have experienced some of what you have and although i have not given up on one sticking 100%, i do always carry additional sticks regardless and depending on the situation, use those multiple sticks. You want to carry 3 sticks and still get 20'..ill do you one better...i use 2 and a half and get it, here's how:

2 full size lone wolf sticks and another lone wolf i cut 18'' and use with a scout platform as top step. I use one of those 4-5 step aiders like from black diamond on first stick and set it high enough that the aider is just barely touching the ground. 2nd stick most of the time i dont need an aider since im using a 2 step aider on the 3rd stick...but i do have a single step to use if i want. I have tape on my pull up rope marked for 20' and i know for sure i have gotten almost every climb this way. This method also still allows me to ''one stick'' higher if i want and im still using a tether\rappel line.

I have experienced some of what you have and although i have not given up on one sticking 100%, i do always carry additional sticks regardless and depending on the situation, use those multiple sticks. You want to carry 3 sticks and still get 20'..ill do you one better...i use 2 and a half and get it, here's how:

2 full size lone wolf sticks and another lone wolf i cut 18'' and use with a scout platform as top step. I use one of those 4-5 step aiders like from black diamond on first stick and set it high enough that the aider is just barely touching the ground. 2nd stick most of the time i dont need an aider since im using a 2 step aider on the 3rd stick...but i do have a single step to use if i want. I have tape on my pull up rope marked for 20' and i know for sure i have gotten almost every climb this way. This method also still allows me to ''one stick'' higher if i want and im still using a tether\rappel line.

I like this....do you rappel down when you are hunting with multiple sticks?

I like this....do you rappel down when you are hunting with multiple sticks?

i do. I carry my tether which is also my 35' rappel line in my pack and go ahead and unpack all of it at tree. I attach the quick link to my lineman loop before climbing up on that first stick. If im using all the sticks, i dont connect the tether until im at height and im using my linemans belt as i climb. When i connect my tether and hook in, im using a schwabisch hitch above an ATC...this allows me to rappel down when im done without switching to a rappel device. In my opinion staying connected on a safety line like this is the safest way to go. Im always connected and if i do fall, my rappel device is connected and i just get down.

I’m pretty much where you are now. 1 Stick has been a backup method for me with SRT being my first choice. Since I bought the Tethrd one sticks I have been using them for every climb and I haven’t weighed it, but probably not much difference between them and my EWO one stick in weight. I’m 56, and 265lb so there is a lot about the one sticking safety to be concerned about.

Last edited:
I have been a proponent of One Stick Climbing and invested in all the gear and practiced all summer and early season here in MD. I still see the advantages over multiple sticks; lighter and easier to carry, climb to any height, and rappel down (the biggest advantage)

However, there are downsides that I could not get around that off-set the advantages.

1. There is no way to climb without introducing slack in the line. Not just once, but multiple times during a climb. Many do not care, I'm 55 and and safety is important.
2. Time to reach 20 feet. With my four full-length Beast sticks, one aider on first stick, I can get to 20 feet faster than 1-sticking
3. It requires more effort to 1- stick. Yea, I watched all the videos that make it look effortless, not true in my reality.
4. I found I had to be more selective in the trees I would climb. It is nearly impossible to retrieve your tether if the trees in the area are tight together with lots of branches. On several occasions I had to re-climb the tree to adjust the tether on top so I could pull it out of the tree from the bottom. Doing this in the dark sucks.

I'm now sticking with my 4 Beast Sticks and experimenting with different aiders so I can drop to 3 sticks and still reach 20 feet. I wish the Beast Sticks stacked better, because I often have long hikes in and out of the woods.

I though I would share these thoughts for those completing making the change to 1- stick climbing.

1. Agreed.

2. Agreed. Should be faster for almost everyone.

3. Not for me. I have more faith in a tether with some slack than I do the use of a lineman’s rope. I never could find the happy spot in the length of the LR so I’m constantly having to fiddle with it. If I fall is it going to grab??? I know I will reach the end of my tether in a very short distance, but not so much with the LR….makes me feel more vulnerable. I also hate fiddling around with things, like advancing a LR, when I’m off the ground and depending on balance to keep things cool. All of these things combine to make multi sticks slow and mucho effort for me.

4. I can’t figure out what your difficulties are here. The only time I have issues retrieving my rappel rope is when I forget to attach my pull down rope to it.

If I were you I would simply hang a single 15” aider off the bottom of sticks number 2 and 3 and possibly a 2 or 3 step on the bottom stick only. That combo should more than surpass where you were getting with 4 sticks.

1. Agreed.

2. Agreed. Should be faster for almost everyone.

3. Not for me. I have more faith in a tether with some slack than I do the use of a lineman’s rope. I never could find the happy spot in the length of the LR so I’m constantly having to fiddle with it. If I fall is it going to grab??? I know I will reach the end of my tether in a very short distance, but not so much with the LR….makes me feel more vulnerable. I also hate fiddling around with things, like advancing a LR, when I’m off the ground and depending on balance to keep things cool. All of these things combine to make multi sticks slow and mucho effort for me.

4. I can’t figure out what your difficulties are here. The only time I have issues retrieving my rappel rope is when I forget to attach my pull down rope to it.

If I were you I would simply hang a single 15” aider off the bottom of sticks number 2 and 3 and possibly a 2 or 3 step on the bottom stick only. That combo should more than surpass where you were getting with 4 sticks.
The only thing a lineman’s belt will assure is that your crumpled mass doesn’t roll too far from the base of the tree.

The only thing a lineman’s belt will assure is that your crumpled mass doesn’t roll too far from the base of the tree.
exactly, if you haven't practiced falling most will try to hug tree. that will guarantee a quick trip down

Anyone using their linemams belt correctly understands that you are right,it is not a fall prevention device...but it does keep you close and connected while managing slack or adjusting a stick where without you would surely fall.

I haven’t experienced any of those issues. I move my tether up as I climb, even when I’m on my aider, no problem. I’m 60 and I don’t find it that difficult. I relax and let the rope do the work. Only real effort is when I’m climbing the aider. Every method is not for everyone. I can’t imagine fooling with all those sticks and the thought of being limited to presets makes me ill. Each to their own. Luckily, there’s enough methods out there that everyone can generally find something they like. Good luck with the sticks!

Last edited:
I've climbed 1 sticking 30-40 times since last November. I'm 30+ft in 4 moves. hunted 40ft this past weekend due to the spot. I'm faster 1 sticking than with sticks. I think ppl having a hard time with it aren't lowering down enough, which I catch myself doing, makes it a little harder. I climb with my bow, carry some carbon bolts for leaning trees if i find 1 I like. as far as slack in the line, well, ppl think LB will save them from going to the bottom of a tree are fooling themselves. after 1 sticking and using it as a platform everything else is a hassle. it is just so much quicker up, down, and back home. I guess for me getting high enough that I can move around with 5 deer under me and not spook them is the biggest plus though. I am a fan, but with anything it takes practice, a lot of thought with paring the right gear to do it quickly, and making sure you can get your rappel down (i've made that climb back up a few times). If I hunted lower I would prefer a treestand, but I like it up there, it's fun and the views a good

Ive moved away from 1 sticking for the reasons u mention...especially the limited trees i can hunt thing... I hunt with beast minis... I made 2 two step aiders and a 1 step aider... I've actually started just keeping my aiders in my pouch untiI want to attach them... a lot of the time I'll go 2 sticks with 2 step aiders then only need another stick.... if I need to go high... I'll go 2 step aider, 1 step aider, then 1 stick with the other 2 step aider... just depends on the tree

Anyone using their linemans belt correctly understands that you are right,it is not a fall prevention device...but it does keep you close and connected while managing slack or adjusting a stick where without you would surely fall.
everyone I have worked with that climbed to a man has gone from the top of a pole to the bottom of it at least 1 time in their careers wearing a linemans belt. it will save you from landing on your head or flat on your back. it takes about 2 falls before you learn to lean back and bust your nuts. I shudder thinking about having to hit a stick on the way down

I use dynamic rope exclusively now. For me, that resolves the slack risk. I know not everyone agrees with that, but my testing has proved it to me. The doom and gloom that many people associate with a short fall with dynamic rope is simply not a reality.

I was just thinking about this the other day and you may disagree, but idk of ANY system that doesn't introduce some type of slack in the tether or linemans belt. There have been 100's of times where I would be climbing using my linemans belt while trying to take the largest step possible and have a downward angle on it after I stepped up(slack in it).

Even when using a climbing stand; you will put your tether up as high as you can and then climb up to it, move it up again, etc.

I have come to these conclusions:
1) You will ALWAYS have slack, though amounts will vary from method to method.
2) I believe a tether is safer than a linemans belt.
3) I like one sticking due to the lack of weight being carried in.

To each their own. I love one sticking and will "stick" with it.

Regarding the slack. Remember way back when you were sitting in the climber or even on a hang on, you had slack in your tether just sitting on the stand. If you are diligent when one sticking you can keep the slack to about the same as it would be when you were just sitting on a climber/hang on. I see no difference.

Remember way back when you were sitting in the climber or even on a hang on, you had slack in your tether just sitting on the stand
Great point and reminder. If there hadn't been any slack, you wouldn't be able to stand up. I also, sadly, remember a time where I had no tether at all and hunted out of some very questionable stands and situations..

At the end of the day each man is free to do what he wants, but he isn't free from the consequences of his poor decisions. Stay safe, fellas!

I was just thinking about this the other day and you may disagree, but idk of ANY system that doesn't introduce some type of slack in the tether or linemans belt. There have been 100's of times where I would be climbing using my linemans belt while trying to take the largest step possible and have a downward angle on it after I stepped up(slack in it).

Even when using a climbing stand; you will put your tether up as high as you can and then climb up to it, move it up again, etc.

I have come to these conclusions:
1) You will ALWAYS have slack, though amounts will vary from method to method.
2) I believe a tether is safer than a linemans belt.
3) I like one sticking due to the lack of weight being carried in.

Slack in a lineman's belt should never come into play. It is a fall prevention device. It's purpose is to provide balance for hands free work at height.

If you're moving, such that slack would be introduced to the lineman's, you should have three points of contact. If you do, you're not relying on the LB for anything in that moment. If you don't, you're not using the LB correctly.

Also, see the second line in my signature...

Back