• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild Edge Stepp Mods?

ricky racer

I'm thinking about changing out my WE ropes to either 1/4" Amsteel or webbing to reduce bulk and possibly making them easier to fine tune thr rope lenght when setting them.
If you've changed out the ropes, let me know what you used and your thoughts on them.

I think the rope that it comes with is hard to beat. I find it very easy to make micro adjustments with it because it is nice and stiff. Very easy to wiggle it side to side then push or pull for the quarter or half inch adjustment. I have a little bit of hockey tape on the parts that touch the other steps when in the bag. My only "major change" has been to the bag. I highly recommend a bag that is made for more steps than you will use. That extra space is very handy for your rope. Forget the zipper and sew on a few of those "c" clips, or whatever they are called. It is the best mod I ever made. They are super quiet and it is very easy to stuff the steps and ropes in there. I no longer have the pull string on the zipper pictured below because the zipper is not used.

20190130_124521.jpg

I think the rope that it comes with is hard to beat. I find it very easy to make micro adjustments with it because it is nice and stiff. Very easy to wiggle it side to side then push or pull for the quarter or half inch adjustment. I have a little bit of hockey tape on the parts that touch the other steps when in the bag. My only "major change" has been to the bag. I highly recommend a bag that is made for more steps than you will use. That extra space is very handy for your rope. Forget the zipper and sew on a few of those "c" clips, or whatever they are called. It is the best mod I ever made. They are super quiet and it is very easy to stuff the steps and ropes in there. I no longer have the pull string on the zipper pictured below because the zipper is not used.

View attachment 16665
I have the same problem with the zipper. Where did you get those straps?

I spliced on 1/4” amsteel. I did a locked Brummell splice onto the stepp itself. The amsteel packs down so much smaller than the original ropes. Amsteel will tangle in the bag if you haphazardly pack it away, but so did my original 8’ ropes from WEI. It does take some getting used to while climbing as the amsteel is very limber and light weight. Seems it can get caught on the slightest bark snag. A couple practice climbs and it starts being predictable though.

I’ve replaced mine with the amsteel. Happy with it so far but since they are more flexible fine tuning is a bit of a challenge. The reduction in bulk is worth it to me though. Have been daisy chaining the ropes for transport which seems to help manage them.

The only issue I’ve had to date was yesterday doing a practice climb. I am climbing with a knaider only. After undoing my ropes, setting my first step, and stepping up with the knaider my neighbors kitten comes busting out of the bushes and attacks the dangling ropes. Finally got the little booger to let go of the ropes so I could pull them up where he couldn’t reach them. Didn’t see that coming...challenges of suburbia I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back