• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild Edge steppladder system ???

WHW

Vendor Rep
Lately I've become interested in adding the Wild Edge steppladder system to my climbing methods. Of course I would want to keep the system as light and minimum as possible.

My question is, using the "Build Your own Steppladder" option and using the Steppladder Aider.... what would be the least amount of stepps to be assured to safely hang and get on a platform at least a height of 20 feet? I'm 6' 3" and can easily place the second stepp above 7'.

The video states 8 stepps for 30'. I'm thinking 5 or 6 should be good for 20 feet? Also thinking about ordering 6 with a bag that's good for 8, in case I need to buy one or two more.

I welcome any and all advice. Thanks

Mr Warren I haven’t used mine much but have gotten to twenty feet with 4. But that’s with a black diamond 4 step aider on a ropeman1. Used tether with aider attached hung step just about head height and dropped aider in the front of the middle of the step. Climbed up aider onto step advanced aider then repeat. A lot of fellows doing it different but that worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lately I've become interested in adding the Wild Edge steppladder system to my climbing methods. Of course I would want to keep the system as light and minimum as possible.

My question is, using the "Build Your own Steppladder" option and using the Steppladder Aider.... what would be the least amount of stepps to be assured to safely hang and get on a platform at least a height of 20 feet? I'm 6' 3" and can easily place the second stepp above 7'.

The video states 8 stepps for 30'. I'm thinking 5 or 6 should be good for 20 feet? Also thinking about ordering 6 with a bag that's good for 8, in case I need to buy one or two more.

I welcome any and all advice. Thanks
If you're using the aider, take your comfortable stepping distance and double it, then divide your hunting height by that number. For example, if you're comfortable with stepping up 2 feet, you can get 4 feet of distance with each step using an aider, meaning 5 stepps will get you to 20.

I bought a set of ten and I usually only carry eight and use two for a platform. 8 stepps pack very easy in a 10 stepp bag with room for the Aider and my lineman's belt. I get around 25 feet with eight steps, and can get over 30 with 10. I don't like using a multistep Aider, and often leave the Aider out altogether and just prop my knee on the step and climb on it.

I used a set of eight all season last year with the wild edge aider. I used three steps at the top as a platform. It worked fine. There were a couple of times where I wished I had another stepp but as many times where I had one left over. I think using a pivot platform I would carry 6. There are times when I set a stepp only a foot or two above another one to allow me to pass a group of limbs with only one swap of the linesmans belt.

Reactions: WHW
I bought a set of 8 and discovered with reds method I can get to 20 feet using 6 steps. I’m vertically challenged at 5’5 so you should be able to do more with less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would order the 8 pack and take out the steps you don't need. You find uses for the extras. I find I need 5-6 to get 30-40 feet. 20 feet I would only need 3-4. With a 4 step aider, I space my stepps about 6'8" apart. If I use the knaider and a single foot aider, I do 5 feet apart.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Forget the Aider mess. Just use the Cain’s method. One step at your waist and one twice that height is how you will space them. They work well for a platform but I find it difficult to cam them over to the side of the tree unless I can swing to the side and cam them over in front of me. I think I’m gonna rather the predator platform. I have an 8 pack. 6 would get me to about 18ft. You will get higher than me with 6 and the Cain’s method.

Forget the Aider mess. Just use the Cain’s method. One step at your waist and one twice that height is how you will space them. They work well for a platform but I find it difficult to cam them over to the side of the tree unless I can swing to the side and cam them over in front of me. I think I’m gonna rather the predator platform. I have an 8 pack. 6 would get me to about 18ft. You will get higher than me with 6 and the Cain’s method.

I never tried but I think I saw someone on a video cam them over in front of them then slide them around tree to position them.

I never tried but I think I saw someone on a video cam them over in front of them then slide them around tree to position them.

Yeah but you still need to cam it over again. And sometimes the tree isn’t the same on the side and you try to push it up then cam over. It’s just not easy. Sometimes it works and sometimes it’s a fight.

Thanks, Jason, that's a great video. I really like his method a lot. And, I believe I can do that. If I can't I can always use an aider.

I learned a lot reading Red's entire thread. I'm thankful and I appreciate all the comments from everyone.

Thanks, Jason, that's a great video. I really like his method a lot. And, I believe I can do that. If I can't I can always use an aider.

I learned a lot reading Red's entire thread. I'm thankful and I appreciate all the comments from everyone.
Warren, a big key to this method is to cinch up the saddle before pushing off the tree. The radius of the tether will raise up your body when you push off the tree making it easier to step up onto the step. This significantly reduces the amount of physical exertion to climb.

Warren, a big key to this method is to cinch up the saddle before pushing off the tree. The radius of the tether will raise up your body when you push off the tree making it easier to step up onto the step. This significantly reduces the amount of physical exertion to climb.

Good point, thanks for the tip. I can relate that to when I practiced self rescue when I started using a rock climbing harness. Hanging on the side of the tree I would push against the tree with my feet while pulling on the tether and easily step back on the platform of my lock-on stand.

I'm very happy with my current climbing methods, but always looking for others. Really curious about these Wild Edge Stepps. Like a lot of y'all, I like the challenge of learning and mastering a new system. Going to order a set of eight. Thanks again for all the input.

I'm very happy with my current climbing methods, but always looking for others. Really curious about these Wild Edge Stepps. Like a lot of y'all, I like the challenge of learning and mastering a new system. Going to order a set of eight. Thanks again for all the input.
There may still be a set of 8 in the classifieds

Ok, so you kestrel users, what do you do in place of the belay loop on the RC harness and the riggers belt? I have a ropeman on my linesman belt, so I could cinch it up pretty snug and clip to it like a belay loop, or even clip straight to kestrel waistbelt. What do y’all do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so you kestrel users, what do you do in place of the belay loop on the RC harness and the riggers belt? I have a ropeman on my linesman belt, so I could cinch it up pretty snug and clip to it like a belay loop, or even clip straight to kestrel waistbelt. What do y’all do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clip around the waist belt.

Back