• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild Edge steps

There are more WE stepp threads on here than @tailgunner could create in a minute.
some people love them and never switched , others think they are fiddly . I have a set and use them on occasion.

try searching wild edge step / stepps and another term like aider, tips, how many , time to climb, mods, etc
Or meet someone locally, as they are pretty common

Yes there are many threads on them around here already. Just to answer your question though, I had a set, sold them and then bought another set a year or so later. I really like them but don’t want to have them as my only way up a tree. They can be fiddly but if you practice with them a few times, they’re not bad at all.

The major thing to know is you MUST stretch the ropes out before using them. Otherwise you’ll have a hell of a time getting them to work well for you. Search the threads on how to do this. If you can’t find it, I can explain.

I would say give them a shot if you’re interested in them. Not super expensive and they climb just like a ladder once they’re set which is pretty cool. I also feel like they fit a small niche that climbing sticks may have a hard time with in some cases. Such as really jagged trees and/or trees with a ton of limbs.

They have some weight if you get more than a 5 pack or so, but they pack really nice! I would make sure you have another way up a tree though just in case you end up not liking them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used them as a ring of steps with an ocb buckle and they seem to work well. Also made some amsteel straps for them with a button runner on them and it seems to hold very well but I haven't climbed on them yet

I’ve been using them for about 5 years and have got very good at using them. The bag that you store them in is too tight especially at the end of a cold hunt. I added some material to the side of the zipper to make it easier. with the adjustable aider they sell six steps gets me to 20’ if needed. There is a learning curve but I can get up most trees with them and carry my first three steps with the longer rope they offer for wide trees.

This is a tree in my side yard about a year after trying them out on it. Had one tree in one of my hunting spots that looked similar a year after using them. No thanks.
huntin_addict,
Did you leave the WE steps on the tree for an extended period of time or did you remove and replace them each time you climbed the tree? I've never seen this type of damage with a step or platform that didn't pierce the tree's surface/bark.

Last edited:
Anyone use them and what do you think about them?
I have a 5-pack set of WE steps. I use a couple of them for extending my reach or range around a tree at the same level as my platform.
As has been mentioned, they're heavy. So, using them in place of climbing sticks would be a huge increase in carrying weight.

I have a 5-pack set of WE steps. I use a couple of them for extending my reach or range around a tree at the same level as my platform.
As has been mentioned, they're heavy. So, using them in place of climbing sticks would be a huge increase in carrying weight.
True, unless you use 3 stepps and a 6 step etrier and get 18’ on 4 lbs total. That’s the set up I run. Absolutely love it

huntin_addict,
Did you leave the WE steps on the tree for an extended period of time or did you remove and replace them each time you climbed the tree? I've never seen this type of damage with a step or platform that didn't pierce the tree's service/bark.
Removed and replaced. I climbed that tree two or three times.

I'm a little late to this thread, but figured I'd throw in my 2 cents. I own a set of 8 Stepps, and absolutely love them. I also have the Perch platform-- I dig it, too. Unfortunately, I rarely get to use them. Once you learn to deploy them, they're super easy and stable. But where I live and do most of my hunting, large live oaks and pines dominate. Their bark is crumbly and loose. The Stepps will set easily, but then they crumble the bark underneath and become loose once you put weight on them. It's uncomfortable and potentialy unsafe.

On the other hand, I've had the opportunity to test them on trees with thinner, harder bark. Phenomenal. No other climbing method I've tried is as easy and comfortable. And using the "modified Cain" method, each Stepp gets you 3-4' up the tree without the use of aiders. I'm keeping my Stepps in hopes that I get opportunities to use them on some better trees in other areas.

I built them by myself ...
I use them successfully on oaks, pines,etc ...
plants where I normally read that it is more difficult to place them and they are unstable ...
in my opinion there is no problem, just finding the right tension for the ropes ...
I do not find ropes equal to the originals and I am using normal 1 "1/4 (32mm) polyester lashing bands and they hold what a marvel ...
they are a bit cumbersome but for 5 steps to go up and 3 for the ring of steps, it's not a big deal.

Lilpig, I am leary to buy the perch because it looks noisy to attach and kind of finicky as well to which stepp you use it on. what are your thoughts? Does it hold side pressure well? Thanks

I've got a bag of 5 and like them well enough but I was trying out beast minis at the same time and those will be my primary... they can be fiddly and I do not enjoy climbing down the tree on them... I definite see the appeal but just not for me

Lilpig, I am leary to buy the perch because it looks noisy to attach and kind of finicky as well to which stepp you use it on. what are your thoughts? Does it hold side pressure well? Thanks

I am a large dude, and the perch handles side pressure very well for me!

I one stick abs use three we steps around the tree as my platform I bought enough I find a great spot abs a great tree I’ll leave three in that tree for the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the late reply. The Perch does have a little bit of a "preference" for how it fits on a couple of my Stepps over the others. But it fits on all of them. The noise is minimal, no worse than pulling the next step out of the bag for deployment. And it holds pressure from any angle really well. I really put it through its paces when I tested it out, so I could know its limitations out in the woods. It holds firm standing at any angle, turning around, standing on one foot out at the sides of the platform, even bouncing a bit. I think short of kicking it like a soccer ball or using it like a trampoline, you wouldn't have a problem.

I currently use a platform with a stepp set on each side. Would like cut that down to two stepps with the perch on one of them. Thanks for the input sounds worthy of a try.

I currently use a platform with a stepp set on each side. Would like cut that down to two stepps with the perch on one of them. Thanks for the input sounds worthy of a try.

Have you considered using just 3 WEI stepps in a ROS configuration (i.e. -_- )? I started out with a Perch and just never fell in love with the install/setup, and I'm a die hard WEI fan who uses them as my primary climbing method. I do have, and occasionally use other platforms, but my preference is to carry 7 stepps and use the last step to height as my center for the three-on-the-tree ROS.

20211023_073847.jpg

I like to have a platform to stand on occasionally. I may try that though as a Perch won’t offer much to stand on like a platform does So why not just three stepps?

Back