• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wild edge users

BigAl

How many people her are wild edge users? How about...Do you use some type of aider? If so what and why? Seems some people love them or hate them.....what is your opinion? Thanks in advance for the responses!

How many people her are wild edge users? How about...Do you use some type of aider? If so what and why? Seems some people love them or hate them.....what is your opinion? Thanks in advance for the responses!
I use them. But only started last season. There's a learning curve to putting them on the tree properly and it took me most of the summer to gain enough confidence to hunt with them. It gets a little easier every time. Practice is key. That said, I really like them. I have an eight pack which gets my feet 12-15' off the ground. High enough for me and most trees I hunt from there wouldn't be room for more height than that anyway. No aiders for me.

Also part of the reason I don't feel the need to go higher is that I use a ROS which allows me to move around the tree to use it for cover no matter where the deer is.

I just switched to them for my run and gun hunting this year, I am running a knaider/swaider. I like how high I can get with only 4 steps, but I have been practicing with them all summer. Just make sure if you are using a knaider swaider that the step is cammed on tight. The steps are rock solid if they are put on right.

I’m a fan.. def learning curve but it’s all second nature and solid now. I use a K/S and can get 20’ with 4. I carry 5. Ditched the perch and using my solo scout now. Coming in at less than 7lbs and its now my heaviest climbing method lol

I also use them. I do like them a lot but not for every hunt. For me the excel in weird shaped and angled trees where a stick would be a pain to use. They do take practice and ropes need stretched. Definite learning curve with them at first but they’re awesome once you get it. They do take a little longer to set up than sticks but not by a lot. You can get pretty fast at it with some practice.

I do have an aider and use it periodically, mainly just to get my first step off the ground higher. I use the WE aider. Im not a fan of aiders to begin with but I really like the WE aider when I really need one. Otherwise I don’t use an aider once I start climbing. Just like WannaBMonkey my 8 steps get me 12-15 feet. I like using the steps just as is mostly.

I’m kind of glad the steps are not my only way up a tree but at the same time I’m glad I have them and do use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been using 3 with a 5 step aider. Messing around with the Cain method after adding a cobra d ring buckle and a few more Stepps. Haven’t decided about ditching the aider yet.

Many different configurations you can use. That's how the stepps shine. If you wanna go super light you can carry 3 stepps and a 5 step aider and that'll get you around 20 feet. You could be a little more conservative and carry 5 stepps and use a shorter aider or a knaider and swaider and get the same height. Or you can carry a few more stepps and use a moveable foot loop or something like that. It's all about your experience with climbing with stepps and what your comfortable with

Hey @BigAl, I love my steps. I do use the knaider / swaider for climbing. I've never had a problem using them. I carry 4 steps to get 20+ feet or 5 to get 25+ feet. I use the k/s so I don't have to carry a bunch of steps. This year I'm giving just the knaider a try and using the Cain method. I love it for climbing. The good thing about the Cain method is you don't need a linesman belt or a tether to climb so no worries about passing limbs. I can't get as much distance between steps but I'm going to start the season with a recurve so I'm not looking to climb so high.

Hey @BigAl, I love my steps. I do use the knaider / swaider for climbing. I've never had a problem using them. I carry 4 steps to get 20+ feet or 5 to get 25+ feet. I use the k/s so I don't have to carry a bunch of steps. This year I'm giving just the knaider a try and using the Cain method. I love it for climbing. The good thing about the Cain method is you don't need a linesman belt or a tether to climb so no worries about passing limbs. I can't get as much distance between steps but I'm going to start the season with a recurve so I'm not looking to climb so high.

Can you explain the no tether or LB part? I get the LB part. Are you not connected when you advance?

I hook into the step at the waist and another line on the next step up for when I advance and disconnect at the waist.

Wild Edge with a knaider and swaider, here! Absolute preferred method currently. It's smooth and quiet. I can be hunting @ 20' in 16 minutes or less with 7 steps (5 to climb and 2 additional for a ROS). It does take a bit of practice initially though.

Can you explain the no tether or LB part? I get the LB part. Are you not connected when you advance?

I hook into the step at the waist and another line on the next step up for when I advance and disconnect at the waist.

That is correct. I am not connected when I advance. I figure I have both hands on the rung above, so I have my 3 pts of contact. It's old fashion tree climbing with steps. I'm hooked in at the waist, tie on over head, and unhook to advance.

Cain method is the way to go. Look up his videos on here. I call mine a “modified-Cain” method tho because I do a pull-up with the step and then place my knee on the other step and then stand up. Not exactly his original method but is easier to me than walking up the tree

Cain method is the way to go. Look up his videos on here. I call mine a “modified-Cain” method tho because I do a pull-up with the step and then place my knee on the other step and then stand up. Not exactly his original method but is easier to me than walking up the tree
Try a knaider it's like walking up a ladder. Plus it'll save your knee. What distance are you getting per step?

I was prepping some trees today on a friend's farm ground on some really crooked trees full of limbs and brought my 1 stick with to practice. I remembered why I like the wild edge steps or just plain 'ol sticks so much. One sticking might have it's advantages on a straight no limb tree but in my area with crooked trees it seems like the wild edge steps really shine. There were a couple times I was dangling a few feet away from the tree due to the lean and there was no climbing the high side or whatever with the one sticking. I had to swing back into the tree to get the stick off, what a cluster @#%#! The wild edge steps take a few hunts to get used to and get cammed right every time but once you get it they're really nice. I've only had 1 tree they didn't work in and that was a flaky barked silver maple and they just wouldn't grip. Other than that one time, I've had no issues. I use a knaider when I need to get a little higher but usually just 5 steps and my platform are perfect.

Try a knaider it's like walking up a ladder. Plus it'll save your knee. What distance are you getting per step?
I tried a knaider and swaider and really tried to like them but I just couldn’t get as comfortable with them. Maybe if I try just the knaider.

im getting around 3’ to 3.5’ per step cause I’m only 5’8”.

I have over 50 hunts doing Cain method and am very fast and efficient with it but am going to try Hawk Mini-sticks with 5 step aider this year.

Love mine, I have a set of 5 and carry all in with a diy kydex holster and use 4 with the knaider/swaider to get over 20' feet roughly at 24' on platform. For sure theres a learning curve/fiddle factor and pines in the south make getting the cam right a bit tough but I usually get them set on the 2nd cam attempt. It is a bit sketch climbing down after dark with the knaider/swaider especially if you stretched the climb out to the max. I have been toying around with one sticking in the off season to see which I like better. Climb time/efficiency seems about the same the stick is lighter if I don't include rappel equipment. Going to use both methods this season.

Back