• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Windwalker MODS

Anobody

SH Member
All,
I have a wind walker ultra lite that I have added a versa button and gave it a sweet paint job (Predator diy thread). Does anyone else have mods they have done to give it more adjustability or effectiveness.

I stripped one down a few years ago an made it a 5 pound even single post stand with alone wolf seat...it was pretty sweet but very expensive to do.

I'm thinking versa strap and maybe a tree bracket to help with offset.

Mine as it sits with Third hand bow holder and claw back pack straps is 8 pounds.

Thoughts.. ideas???

I'd like to see pics of your versa button. I put 2 on mine, but am thinking about going back to the standard strap setup.

I also bought a seat from ebay. It came with a piece of pipe insulation for the front seat bar. Significant comfort improvement.

I'd like to see pics of your versa button. I put 2 on mine, but am thinking about going back to the standard strap setup.

I also bought a seat from ebay. It came with a piece of pipe insulation for the front seat bar. Significant comfort improvement.
I have the pipe foam on mine.
I just centered the button on the Metal plate the help the OG strap. It cam locks ok but has a little wiggle. can be a pain to hook the strap to the button simply because of where the cables are positioned

I have the pipe foam on mine.
I just centered the button on the Metal plate the help the OG strap. It cam locks ok but has a little wiggle. can be a pain to hook the strap to the button simply because of where the cables are positioned
Does the button hold ok there? Seems like there's not a lot of material on that plate.

I've encountered the same issue you describe, but it's more an issue of folding seat getting in the way.

Does the button hold ok there? Seems like there's not a lot of material on that plate.

I've encountered the same issue you describe, but it's more an issue of folding seat getting in the way.

so far so good. I'm gonna reinforce it with some bigger washers. to keep the side to side flex down.

Here is the pic on my last mod I got the stand down to 5.5 lbs

Damn, skippy!

Looks good. At that point you just about made a whole, new stand!

Wish I could weld, because the windwalker looks like it would be easy to fab, and theres obviously still a demand.

Damn, skippy!

Looks good. At that point you just about made a whole, new stand!

Wish I could weld, because the windwalker looks like it would be easy to fab, and theres obviously still a demand.

needless to say I had a lot of time and money in that stand. it was a fun project and someone is still using it

Offseason project for me is to try amsteel whoopies to replace the cables. I can't hunt a stand that doesn't level. The one tree I was in was all twisted and leaning I could hardly stand up.

Also the one morning I used mine my wet boots squeeked on the platform so I would need to fix that. It was not a comfortable sit so I hung it in the shed for the season.

Then again I may just sell it. I used my Klemz platform 95% of hunts and when I wanted a larger standing platform took my XOP. The windwalker was kind of worst of both worlds.

Glad I cam across this got two limits I’m gonna mod up.... I’ve seen the versa button on them before there but like @Nutterbuster it seems a little weak for a button especially for my self being in the 215lb range.... I was thinking of running a lone wolf strap through just like the factory 2” strap was installed then add a hook on the end for my other loop to hook to...... what did you use for a post on your moded one... I have access to a kick but aluminum welder and I do have two of them Incase I totally screw one up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad I cam across this got two limits I’m gonna mod up.... I’ve seen the versa button on them before there but like @Nutterbuster it seems a little weak for a button especially for my self being in the 215lb range.... I was thinking of running a lone wolf strap through just like the factory 2” strap was installed then add a hook on the end for my other loop to hook to...... what did you use for a post on your moded one... I have access to a kick but aluminum welder and I do have two of them Incase I totally screw one up.

That’s all 6160 tubing when I removed the “l” channel and added tubing the stand became very strong. I spaced them 3 inches apart

Looking at the plate it’s 1/8 thick that’s no lore or less than the tubing

And just a pic cause I’m proud of the paint job :)

So you never had any issues with it deforming the hole like it was trying to tear out...... that paint job is sweet!!!!

So you never had any issues with it deforming the hole like it was trying to tear out...... that paint job is sweet!!!!

This is a recent mod and it doesn’t have much tree time yet. But in all honesty I’m not worried to much I don’t weigh very much. I look at it no different than the tubing with bolts

Remember on a tube the versa bolt goes thru 2 sides, not 1 like you show. A fully threaded bolt with 2 washers/nut then button might be better option to strengthen area.

Remember on a tube the versa bolt goes thru 2 sides, not 1 like you show. A fully threaded bolt with 2 washers/nut then button might be better option to strengthen area.

My fix to this I believe will be adding either a bat wing or xop bracket to the back that should give the bolt some extra stability

That camo job is awesome! Honestly guys, I have nothign I need/desire to mod on mine. I've got cottonwood outdoors backpack strap system on it and an couple of ROK bungee fastex straps to strap on stepps, or sticks and thats it. Heck, I have the original trebark hook strap on it that works great for me :) Throw a gameplan gear leach pack on it and go. Feels like I"m carrying a small pack like a cheap fieldline pro and the entire profile is behind my body so nothign to snag.

Last edited:
Anobody I used a Lonewolf strap on my Windwalker and it is really slick.Just ran it through like the original and used a Lonewolf easy hang hook on the end.I also put a couple of bolts through the corners on the v of the platform and sharpened the ends.Just don’t leave them too long and they help with stability.Really like the Lonewolf post The leveling system would be nice

Anobody I used a Lonewolf strap on my Windwalker and it is really slick.Just ran it through like the original and used a Lonewolf easy hang hook on the end.I also put a couple of bolts through the corners on the v of the platform and sharpened the ends.Just don’t leave them too long and they help with stability.Really like the Lonewolf post The leveling system would be nice

That’s exactly what I had in mind of doing to mine as far as the strap goes. Good to hear that my idea works!

Back