• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Winter clothing

Hoythunter1861

New to saddle hunting and so far loving my Mantis (actually just got off the tree in the backyard getting used to it).
But I’m a bigger guy and just wonder how it is in the later months when it gets cold? I hunt in Georgia so there’s not that many cold days lol. But do you have any issue wearing thicker pants or thermals below? I can’t imagine being able to wear overalls or coveralls in the saddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunt in Canada and have no problems wearing full winter clothing. You have to cool off at the bottom, dress, put on the saddle and start the climb. Take your time and don’t get sweaty.
The only downside is how much extra bulk and weight you add with insulated bibs,insulated coat, winter hat, hand muff. It’s like packing for the weekend......
If you don’t have snow to deal with try some insulated over booties. They weigh nothing and slide right over your boots.
Also a balaclava does a great job of keeping the cold air away from your neck.

I run full insulated bibs and jacket in a saddle no problem. I have all that packed in my bag on my hike in, then dress at the base of the tree.

I’m also modifying my thermal cloak so it has legs. Should be easier to use in a saddle. I’d love to get a high end snowmobile suit.

I run full insulated bibs and jacket in a saddle no problem. I have all that packed in my bag on my hike in, then dress at the base of the tree.

So you have no trouble with fit of the saddle over the bibs? This was my main question. I’ve been hunting for a while and never get dressed til at the tree.

I hunt in Canada and have no problems wearing full winter clothing. You have to cool off at the bottom, dress, put on the saddle and start the climb. Take your time and don’t get sweaty.
The only downside is how much extra bulk and weight you add with insulated bibs,insulated coat, winter hat, hand muff. It’s like packing for the weekend......
If you don’t have snow to deal with try some insulated over booties. They weigh nothing and slide right over your boots.
Also a balaclava does a great job of keeping the cold air away from your neck.

Thanks. I’ve been hunting for a while (bow only now) just new to saddle hunting. But I always wear light and pack clothes in.
But nah, we rarely get the devils dandruff down south haha

My experience with hammock camping leads me to believe that putting insulation on with the saddle compressing it will get your butt darn cold. Insulation compressed looses its effectiveness. I hunt in GA too. I went on ODT and found someone selling an older but good condition quality coverall. Gonna alter it so that I can put it on over me and saddle when in the tree. All it needs is a couple cuts, some sewing, and some buttons. When it goes over me and the saddle with my suspension going through it I believe it will be much warmer. And it will let me wear my saddle to the tree and not get all sweaty during the climb. Got a few projects going on and cold in GA is still a bit away but when I get it done I'll post pics. With the generous leg zips it should be a cinch to slip on while hanging.

I swear the saddle butt warmer (sbw) that tethrd sells helped may stay much warmer last year in the cold and allowed me to dress lighter than treestand hunting. But it could be that I switched to Sitka fanatic gear too.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

My experience with hammock camping leads me to believe that putting insulation on with the saddle compressing it will get your butt darn cold. Insulation compressed looses its effectiveness. I hunt in GA too. I went on ODT and found someone selling an older but good condition quality coverall. Gonna alter it so that I can put it on over me and saddle when in the tree. All it needs is a couple cuts, some sewing, and some buttons. When it goes over me and the saddle with my suspension going through it I believe it will be much warmer. And it will let me wear my saddle to the tree and not get all sweaty during the climb. Got a few projects going on and cold in GA is still a bit away but when I get it done I'll post pics. With the generous leg zips it should be a cinch to slip on while hanging.

I’d like to see what you come up with. With coveralls is the way I’d like to go since it is easy to wear light and pack in before getting dressed. I’ve got some carhartt overalls I wear now that just can’t be beat.

I swear the saddle butt warmer (sbw) that tethrd sells helped may stay much warmer last year in the cold and allowed me to dress lighter than treestand hunting. But it could be that I switched to Sitka fanatic gear too.

I like it, but I worry about the rest of my legs. Trying to keep that heat from leaving my feet haha

It is to late in the season and I'm moving to a new house in spring, but I'm going to make something that snaps together. It will go on over the saddle while in the tree.

There was another thread that never took off though. I'll post it next year when I get started on it.

So you have no trouble with fit of the saddle over the bibs? This was my main question. I’ve been hunting for a while and never get dressed til at the tree.

No problem at all. It isn't possible to hunt up here without fully insulated gear. Put it this way, I've never hunted in the presence of mosquitos...

I just switched to Sitka Fanatic bibs and jacket this year, and just bought a saddle. When the saddle arrives I am curious about putting it on under the bibs. Thoughts?

I just switched to Sitka Fanatic bibs and jacket this year, and just bought a saddle. When the saddle arrives I am curious about putting it on under the bibs. Thoughts?
It may work. Just try it before you go out in the woods. Biggest issue I think would be the bridge and putting the saddle on under the bibs.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Back