• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Winter scouting session after new snowfall

caddis75

Hey all,

I heard a few YouTubers say to scout after a fresh snowfall. I went back to the state game land I hunted all season, again, this was my second season. I am still eating tag soup. About four inches fell starting around 1 am to about 1 pm. I got to the parking lot at noon. I walked in and soon came across fresh tracks. I followed them in both directions for a few hours. The freshest tracks of at least 4 deer were coming from the south off of the private property to a bedding area where I counted 8 fresh beds. Further north and downhill I found 4 more beds and a mess of tracks and urine. It's not an area I hunted before and close to the parking lot, but kinda cool nonetheless. The blue line is me following the tracks, from the 8-bed area to the private property line, there were several sets of tracks all going the same way. I've hunted south of this area but usually, walk right past it. Don't know if this is where they will be in September, but it was pretty fun tracking. Although walking through snow is a bit tiring:)

FireShot Capture 786 - onXmaps Web App - webmap.onxmaps.com.png

Last edited:
Don't know if this is where they will be in September, but it was pretty fun tracking. Although walking through snow is a bit tiring:)

Any information you can gather on your own is always good information. It’s all stuff we can get better at and learn deer movement. Just remember that because the deer are there now does not mean that they are there in October and November. Those very well could be late season spots.

Last edited:
Any information you can gather on your own is always good information. It’s all stuff we can get better at and learn deer movement. Just remember that because the deer are there now does not mean that they are there in October and November. Those very well could be late-season spots.

I assumed so, but I have learned that deer in this area tend to bed at this elevation on the north and east-facing sides of this hill. Regardless, it was a nice a quiet walk in the woods.

I assumed so, but I have learned that deer in this area tend to bed at this elevation on the north and east-facing sides of this hill. Regardless, it was a nice a quiet walk in the woods.

Hey, a walk in the woods is better than most everything.

Back