• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wired to Hunt

iamcorey

Update: Found out the dude was shooting a muzzleloader and not a bow. Guess I have to put my pitchfork back in the case.

I am putting in some floors and listening to podcasts. I caught the WTH show from 04 SEP. they were getting the deer report from The southern outdoorsman in TN. He said he was unable to recover a deer. From the conversation he took a 60 yard shot on the ground stalking in a bean field. Bad hit no recovery.

I know my opinion on the subject, but I was disappointed that the statement was made and they just kept talking about deer activity on a 1 - 10 scale.

Am I just old or is a 60 yard shot common these days with super tuned bows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
super tuned
I spent 5 years tuning bows, and could never get a good definitely option of this phrase. I always refused to even attempt it unless folks could tell me exactly what it meant. Otherwise, I just paper tuned their stuff st the shop, and gave them instructions on how to walk back tune it if they felt so inclined ar home.

Unfortunately, there are folks who think there is a black magic ritual that will let them shoot deer further away than they have any business shooting at. I've never seen a bow that wouldnt outshoot its owner, and I've never seen a deer that would stand so obligingly still as a foam target.

I don't judge folks for flinging arrows, but I have heard of way more misses than hits beyond 30 yards.

I’m certain I can kill a target at 60 yards 90% of the time. I’m old enough to know that I shouldn’t even try that with a deer. When I was younger, given the chance, I probably would’ve sent it.

60 yards is not in my repertoire! I’m not the greatest bow hunter but I’ve been at it 38 years and never considered a shot anywhere close to that! I would call it irresponsible even with the latest and greatest

Well, I didn’t need another reason to keep WTH off my queue, but you gave me one.
And 60 yds on a whitetail is ludicrous IMO. I’m a 25 and under guy, even though i practice out to 70 for S’s and G’s.
S’s and G’s don’t belong in the business of shooting at live animals though.

Well, I didn’t need another reason to keep WTH off my queue, but you gave me one.
To be fair the host was just interviewing the guy for 5 minutes about his report from the field. The guy being interviewed reported his attempted shot. It would have been an awkward turn to start debating ethical shots, but it caught my attention as I’m sure it did others.

This Mark Kenyon guy (the host) seems to live and breathe everything whitetail.

I’ve heard it mention that elk hunters will shoot close to that range more often than whitetail guys. I’m guessing Elk might not be as jumpy, but I have no real experience with that.

To be fair the host was just interviewing the guy for 5 minutes about his report from the field. The guy being interviewed reported his attempted shot. It would have been an awkward turn to start debating ethical shots, but it caught my attention as I’m sure it did others.

This Mark Kenyon guy (the host) seems to live and breathe everything whitetail.

I’ve heard it mention that elk hunters will shoot close to that range more often than whitetail guys. I’m guessing Elk might not be as jumpy, but I have no real experience with that.

Yes I have heard that for elk you should up your effective range, but Whitetail are about 1/10 their size and 110x as capable of jumping the string.

I am putting in some floors and listening to podcasts. I caught the WTH show from 04 SEP. they were getting the deer report from The southern outdoorsman in TN. He said he was unable to recover a deer. From the conversation he took a 60 yard shot on the ground stalking in a bean field. Bad hit no recovery.

I know my opinion on the subject, but I was disappointed that the statement was made and they just kept talking about deer activity on a 1 - 10 scale.

He wasnt using a bow he missed with a muzzleloader.

I spent 5 years tuning bows, and could never get a good definitely option of this phrase. I always refused to even attempt it unless folks could tell me exactly what it meant. Otherwise, I just paper tuned their stuff st the shop, and gave them instructions on how to walk back tune it if they felt so inclined ar home.

Unfortunately, there are folks who think there is a black magic ritual that will let them shoot deer further away than they have any business shooting at. I've never seen a bow that wouldnt outshoot its owner, and I've never seen a deer that would stand so obligingly still as a foam target.

I don't judge folks for flinging arrows, but I have heard of way more misses than hits beyond 30 yards.
Exatcly. Even if your bow is super tuned. The archer is still not better or as good as the bow. Super tune doesnt make scense to me either. Either your bow is in tune or it isnt. Bare shaft hitting with fletched or it isnt. Broadheads grouping with field points or they are not.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The sad thing is many deer hunting outdoor TV programs are shooting 60yrds and beyond. Ethical shooting is knowing your ability as well as your limitations. Although archery equipment has evolved like golf clubs it's up to the individual to make a good decision rather than a hell Mary shot and hope for the best. Practice but consider the wind, akword positions we have to shoot from long distance shooting becomes a low percentage shot. I'm 62, been shooting a bow since I was 7 yrs old, practice all year and taking a 60 yrd shot is still not in my play book. It's not important to me to shoot a buck 60+, but it is important to me to get close and personal and shot him at 10yrds...make that your Goal and you'll become a much better deer hunter
May the Magic of The Whitetail Forever Enrich Your Life

He was using a gun. It was in the CWD Zone in TN. They were allowed to use muzzleloaders during the velvet hunt.

Well I feel stupid. I think they left that part out, but that makes more sense now.

Do you think many people eat those deer from that area?

Well I feel stupid. I think they left that part out, but that makes more sense now.

Do you think many people eat those deer from that area?

They mentioned that he was using a muzzleloader during the interview. Listen from 12:30-13:00.

They dropped off a sample for testing at a site. If I had the deer tested and it came back negative I would eat it. If I was in a CWD zone, I would not eat deer unless it was tested.

I think the farther west you will see guys taking longer shots. I think the average in the east is like 11 yards. The average out west is 27 yards. I forgot where I saw that at but out west they recommend being able shoot 40 or so yards
I will see if I can dig up the article.

Back