• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wisconsin doe tags went on sale.

WISCO

Wisconsin doe tags went on sale today. Logged in to the system and received number 15 thousand six hundred and some change for my place in line. I feared I wasn't going to get a doe tag this year but was actually able to get a public doe tag for the county I wanted! Purchased my bow license and applied for a bear permit for next year. Always gets exciting the day doe tags go on sale, one month to go until opening day!

Best of luck! It's very interesting to me how states do thing differently and how different herds require different management styles. Where I hunt in Maryland it's unlimited does, and if I move a bit further from DC, 15 a year, not that having a high limit has mattered much, one doe shot so far in my entire hunting career!

Edited to add that this has reminded me that I likely missed/forgot to jump through the hoops to try to get a PA doe tag to use up at my parents place. Oh well, less tag soup for me this year lol

Best of luck! It's very interesting to me how states do thing differently and how different herds require different management styles. Where I hunt in Maryland it's unlimited does, and if I move a bit further from DC, 15 a year, not that having a high limit has mattered much, one doe shot so far in my entire hunting career!

Edited to add that this has reminded me that I likely missed/forgot to jump through the hoops to try to get a PA doe tag to use up at my parents place. Oh well, less tag soup for me this year lol

Our state is divided. North of highway 64 they open doe permit sales and you are allowed to buy one per day until they sell out, which most popular counties do on the first day. You also have to pick weather or not you want public or private. Tags are heavy on the private side and low on public. south of HWY 64 I beleive you can get as many doe tags as you want but don't quote me cause I never hunt down there. I know when I buy my bow or gun license I usually get 3 " farm land" tags for the southern part of the state.

Good luck to you this year !

I jumped on last night after seeing your post to try to get one for Juneau Forest zone (public) and they were already gone. There was still availability of private tags which doesn’t help me any.

no big deal since I have more doe tags than I need (3) from my home county.

One tip for the WI system is you can log into your DNR account from multiple places (laptop, phone, iPad, etc…) to help get you a higher spot in the cue (which are all randomized). In case you’re applying for a county where tags sell out super quick.

One tip for the WI system is you can log into your DNR account from multiple places (laptop, phone, iPad, etc…) to help get you a higher spot in the cue (which are all randomized). In case you’re applying for a county where tags sell out super quick.
Thanks for the tip! I'll do that next year.

I jumped on last night after seeing your post to try to get one for Juneau Forest zone (public) and they were already gone. There was still availability of private tags which doesn’t help me any.

no big deal since I have more doe tags than I need (3) from my home county.

I pick up the 3 free doe tags for down south every year but rarely do I have the time to ever make it down to hunt. I need to take a day and drive down and scout some public. Maybe get out for the muzzleloader season when the woods aren't crawling with orange.

I have (10) nuisance antlerless tags here for crop damage but its been so hot its been hard to sit. I feel for you southern fellas that hunt in that.

It truly amazes me how different states are, even when next to each other.

Next door in MN, we have about 200 zones which is sorta like other state's WMA's. Each zone is set from buck only up to buck +4 doe. I few zones are lottery only but those are rare. Each non-lottery zone is over the counter with the only restriction being to not hunt the same day as you buy a tag.

Here, you are only allowed 1 buck in the state regardless of zone and a max of 5 deer total in the state. Last year, the zone I hunt registered 6,688 deer taken with a 51% success rate. Of those, 3,705 were bucks and the rest doe with a total area of just over 1,000 sq.mi.

Just bought my Wisconsin bow tag and got my 2 farmland doe tags and 1 for the st Croix metro unit. Also shotgun hunt in se Minnesota in the cwd zone and I’m pretty sure you can shoot a buck with archery, shotgun, and muzzleloader for 3 total and unlimited doe tags at $2 a piece.

Our state is divided. North of highway 64 they open doe permit sales and you are allowed to buy one per day until they sell out, which most popular counties do on the first day. You also have to pick weather or not you want public or private. Tags are heavy on the private side and low on public. south of HWY 64 I beleive you can get as many doe tags as you want but don't quote me cause I never hunt down there. I know when I buy my bow or gun license I usually get 3 " farm land" tags for the southern part of the state.

Good luck to you this year !

Green and Crawford Counties allow for 3 doe tags with each buck tag. Not sure I'll need to buy extras but it's nice for the option to be there.

I really wish they would let you break up tags for different counties. I get 4 doe tags hunt three different counties. All 3 counties give out the farmland tags. I wont shoot that many doe and I dont want too but I do try for 3 deer a year and itd be nice to have a doe tag no matter where Im hunting.

I buy my Wisconsin bow license a week before the Monday doe tag frenzy. If you are able to be at a Walmart or other license agent at 10:00, it jumps ahead of the queue and tag is issued instantly. Usually a line, but everyone seems to get the coveted tag.

It truly amazes me how different states are, even when next to each other.

Next door in MN, we have about 200 zones which is sorta like other state's WMA's. Each zone is set from buck only up to buck +4 doe. I few zones are lottery only but those are rare. Each non-lottery zone is over the counter with the only restriction being to not hunt the same day as you buy a tag.

Here, you are only allowed 1 buck in the state regardless of zone and a max of 5 deer total in the state. Last year, the zone I hunt registered 6,688 deer taken with a 51% success rate. Of those, 3,705 were bucks and the rest doe with a total area of just over 1,000 sq.mi.
...slight correction... if ur in the SE CWD zone you can shoot 3 bucks... one for each tag... muzzleloader, archery, firearm...

It would be nice if they had one doe tag that covered multiple counties, such as a doe tag valid for the entire northern forest, central forest, central farmland, or southern farmland areas. If you hunt 6-8 counties, like I do on a regular basis, you have to buy $72-$96 in doe tags. Very silly. Likely only going to shoot a doe or two in any given season, but I don’t know which county that might happen in, or on what day, so you have to buy multiple extra tags. Kind of comes across as poor planning by the WIDNR or a perfectly planned money grab. Death by a thousand $12 cuts.

Last edited:
I ended up with a doe tag for Burnett County as well as the two freebies for Polk in the central farmland.

Has anyone hunted the Namekagon Barrens? I’m going to take a field trip down there this month, it seems like a good place for the Pacseat ghille suit.

I ended up with a doe tag for Burnett County as well as the two freebies for Polk in the central farmland.

Has anyone hunted the Namekagon Barrens? I’m going to take a field trip down there this month, it seems like a good place for the Pacseat ghille suit.
I hunt 12 miles east of the Namekogon Barrens, along the Totogatic River. Kind of smaller racks because of the lack of farming nutrition. Mild predator problems also. I have always wanted to perch high up in a tree to glass the Barrens. Similar to Dunnville Barrens. You can see a loooooong ways across them. Sharptail grouse there too.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I fail to see how putting something in the mail is "jumping through hoops". It's really pretty simple. Reading some of the responses here, it looks like several states, while able to purchase online, have a fairly convoluted system.

I fail to see how putting something in the mail is "jumping through hoops". It's really pretty simple. Reading some of the responses here, it looks like several states, while able to purchase online, have a fairly convoluted system.
Ok my dude. It was a bit of a self deprecating exaggeration, but not the main point of the thread so no worries

I hunt 12 miles east of the Namekogon Barrens, along the Totogatic River. Kind of smaller racks because of the lack of farming nutrition. Mild predator problems also. I have always wanted to perch high up in a tree to glass the Barrens. Similar to Dunnville Barrens. You can see a loooooong ways across them. Sharptail grouse there too.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I really want to go walk around that area. Are there enough trees to actually reliably hunt out of them? Or is mostly going to be ground shot opportunities?

Back