• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wisconsin SaddleHunter Meetup - Rescheduled for August 22nd

ofor

Is there a saddle palooza in Wisconsin or a neighboring state? If so, when is it, who organizes it and what goes on at it? I’ve read a lot of posts where guys down south have enjoyed attending them but I don’t know what they are all about.

To my knowledge there hasn't been one in Wisconsin. I wish I could have made it to at least one of the Saddlepaloozas but work always gets in the way.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Is there a saddle palooza in Wisconsin or a neighboring state? If so, when is it, who organizes it and what goes on at it? I’ve read a lot of posts where guys down south have enjoyed attending them but I don’t know what they are all about.

Every awesome volunteer-driven event starts with an awesome volunteer! Congrats you are the big weiner! :)

I was wondering how long it would take for a comment like that. LOL. what goes on at these things besides story telling, beer drinking and Bigfoot sightings?

The last two Michigan saddle demo days I have attended were fun, hunting based demonstrations of saddle hunting equipment. Folks brought and demonstrated their climbing methods and platforms and let others give them a try. Lots of good camaraderie among like-minded hunters. One was held in a small city park, the second held at a forum member's home. Several people volunteered to supply lunch fare and beverages (for the record, no beer just bottled waters).

I personally found them to be extremely fun with everyone sharing lessons learned, variations on climbing and DIY solutions to saddles and climbing methods. I don't think any attendees at either one would say they came away without picking up a useful tip or trick or two.

I would definitaly recommend attending (or setting one up if that is your thing) one of these get togethers whether you're a veteran saddle hunter or a guy who's on the fence about saddle hunting's potential. If nothing else you may get a chance to try out a few different saddles and/or platforms to assess how they fit your needs. I really feel even if you're a veteran saddle guy and think your system is all figured out there are tidbits of info you can share and gain during the event with others.

The last two Michigan saddle demo days I have attended were fun, hunting based demonstrations of saddle hunting equipment. Folks brought and demonstrated their climbing methods and platforms and let others give them a try. Lots of good camaraderie among like-minded hunters. One was held in a small city park, the second held at a forum member's home. Several people volunteered to supply lunch fare and beverages (for the record, no beer just bottled waters).

I personally found them to be extremely fun with everyone sharing lessons learned, variations on climbing and DIY solutions to saddles and climbing methods. I don't think any attendees at either one would say they came away without picking up a useful tip or trick or two.

I would definitaly recommend attending (or setting one up if that is your thing) one of these get togethers whether you're a veteran saddle hunter or a guy who's on the fence about saddle hunting's potential. If nothing else you may get a chance to try out a few different saddles and/or platforms to assess how they fit your needs. I really feel even if you're a veteran saddle guy and think your system is all figured out there are tidbits of info you can share and gain during the event with others.

Nice summary. Did you run into local government issues having it at a local park?

Anyone else have an experience / details they care to share of other saddle paloozas.

Great questions @ofor , these events are a great way to meet other saddle hunters or even just people that might have an interest but nowhere to get hands on experience before diving in. All it takes is someone willing to organize and advertise to whatever level of get together is desired.

The first one I hosted with @ablairTTO in March was at a local park that only gets used in the summer time so we were the only group there. No issues with local authorities but I did bring a test tree trunk so guys could practice tying WE steps without damaging the trees at the park. I brought a couple coolers full of burgers and fixins and some sides and just had people pitch in a few bucks to help with the cost. @DanO brought a cooler of water to share and some cool Eastern Woods Outdoors wares. I reached out to a bunch of companies to get demo equipment and got a great response from Tethrd, with 2 of every size saddle and a couple platforms, Out on a limb sent a couple podiums and Zach from Artisan outdoors brought mini platforms. A bunch of us brought our own gear and almost everyone was willing to let others try what they had.

The second event was at my home property and was a little smaller group but actually had quite a few new guys that had never even seen a saddle in person, that was pretty cool. Everything else was basically the same.

Saddle hunters are a unique group of people, we seem to like helping each other out. If you're so inclined maybe try to get the ball rolling, every event needs a leader, without one it's hard to get it going.

I should add it doesn’t have to be a big weekend long event that requires a lot of planning and logistics. One day hanging out with a bunch of knuckleheads at a local park or even a local game area is sufficient IMO. Great way to introduce newbies to saddles and allow vets to learn a new trick or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I haven’t forgotten about this. My current thought for the first one is just a one day meetup to show off gear and share info and grow it from there. I am going to pull together a survey that I’ll post here to get some input and will then start putting out feelers for places that will allow us to climb.

Great questions @ofor , these events are a great way to meet other saddle hunters or even just people that might have an interest but nowhere to get hands on experience before diving in. All it takes is someone willing to organize and advertise to whatever level of get together is desired.

The first one I hosted with @ablairTTO in March was at a local park that only gets used in the summer time so we were the only group there. No issues with local authorities but I did bring a test tree trunk so guys could practice tying WE steps without damaging the trees at the park. I brought a couple coolers full of burgers and fixins and some sides and just had people pitch in a few bucks to help with the cost. @DanO brought a cooler of water to share and some cool Eastern Woods Outdoors wares. I reached out to a bunch of companies to get demo equipment and got a great response from Tethrd, with 2 of every size saddle and a couple platforms, Out on a limb sent a couple podiums and Zach from Artisan outdoors brought mini platforms. A bunch of us brought our own gear and almost everyone was willing to let others try what they had.

The second event was at my home property and was a little smaller group but actually had quite a few new guys that had never even seen a saddle in person, that was pretty cool. Everything else was basically the same.

Saddle hunters are a unique group of people, we seem to like helping each other out. If you're so inclined maybe try to get the ball rolling, every event needs a leader, without one it's hard to get it going.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Hey all you WI (and surrounding states) saddle fanatics, please click the link to take this ~3 minute survey to provide input into what you'd like to see in the first Wisconsin SaddleHunter Meetup: Wisconsin SaddleHunter Meetup Survey

I changed the title of this thread from Wisconsin Saddlepalooza to Wisconsin SaddleHunter Meetup because I didn't want to set the wrong expectations for our first go-round. The GA Saddlepalooza looks like a great time but we'll have to grow into something that awesome.

Did the survey. Was just going to post about having one myself. I would attend anywhere but could also host if a location is needed pretty centrally in the state.

I’m following this.. I live in KS but my sister lives south of Waupaca and will be there for a few weeks this summer in case the dates line up!

That if out of state guests are welcome.

I’m following this.. I live in KS but my sister lives south of Waupaca and will be there for a few weeks this summer in case the dates line up!

That if out of state guests are welcome.

Sure, everyone is welcome!

Did the survey. Was just going to post about having one myself. I would attend anywhere but could also host if a location is needed pretty centrally in the state.

We’ll see how the survey results turn out...

Back