• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

WLR Hitch Discussion

gcr0003

SH Member
I know there is already some discussion in the new product thread about the product from Wild Line Ropes. I don’t want to talk about that here. I would rather foster some conversation on the hitch itself. I would also like to get some folks including myself to try it out and see what works and what doesn’t.
It’s a 6 wrap hitch followed by 3 or 4 square knots by my estimation. Wraps are pretty standard but I’m curious if we have seen the use of square knots like this anywhere else @Brocky. Also, since this appears to be a new one, when can we expect one of your cool drawings @Brocky?

One thing I do like about it at first glance is that it seems a lot easier to tie then say the JRB hitch. I’m wanting to try it out with a tether first and then maybe play around with this hitch on some rope climbing to see how it does in a dynamic situation. I will not be fooling with Amsteel but rather standard hitch cords and nominal rope diameters. Feel free to post first thoughts on this hitch, pictures etc.

That's different. Not sure what the cobra weave does exactly but it looks pretty.

Edit: Just made the hitch and it appears that the cobra weave does the actual grabbing of the rope. The wraps above it provide just enough tension for the cobra weave to bite down without slipping. Once cinched down, the coils can freely move but once the tension is removed, the hitch will slip until the coils stretch out allowing the cobra weave to bite down again.

Last edited:
I tied one on my lineman’s rope last night and it worked very well. Teufelberger Resc Tech 8mm For lineman’s and Sterling 6mm TRC for hitch. I can’t speak to its potential performance in a fall.

I tied one on my lineman’s rope last night and it worked very well. Teufelberger Resc Tech 8mm For lineman’s and Sterling 6mm TRC for hitch. I can’t speak to its potential performance in a fall.
Nice! Care to share picture?

Doesn’t really help that it’s dark cord on dark rope

b261aa99e1c1647dfba47b6f07b6220e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cord diameter is too big but 8mm is the only light colored rope I have
dbfe390ad6efe088eae42174753b2e90.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I don't have any eye-to-eye's long enough to make a WLR and I didn't take the time to make one and tie off the ends 'cause I was 'testing' other stuff on a tree. (and I suck at tying knots)
So how well does it work?

Ok, I don't have any eye-to-eye's long enough to make a WLR and I didn't take the time to make one and tie off the ends 'cause I was 'testing' other stuff on a tree. (and I suck at tying knots)
So how well does it work?
So the rope combo I used for a tether is pretty sticky. That said, the hitch does break easy under weight and grabs very easy; however, I wasn’t doing any one arm progressions with it as a tether. It would pull up slack in lineman’s belt mode one handed, but it was still more difficult than I’m sure most would desire. I’m going to try it on some HTP rope tomorrow and see how it does. I think as for any hitch, the right combo of rope to cord makes a big difference.

Where I really liked the WLR was on the JRB climbing system. They ascend and progress capture efficiently without slipping or worry of slipping, and they break loose very easily. The single Michoacán’s I use can be sketchy if you don’t make sure they bite. With the WLR hitch I could throw it up or down and weight it with no worry of it not catching. These are just my first takes. One complaint I had with the JRB hitch was that it just kept getting tighter and tighter. After 3 climbs it was almost impossibly to break or ascend with (JRB hitch). I didn’t have that problem with these WLR hitches yet, but if it becomes a problem I’ll be sure to mention it as well. These break incredible easy as well, similar to the ease of the sticht hitch. This makes them a great candidate for JRB because when you’re at the top ready to rappel you need to loosen the hitches without removing weight. That seemed very easy to do as I show in the video. More testing to come. Just excited to be trying something new.

Here’s a quick video of me checking it out.

In looking at it, the cobra weave appears to be trying to open up (loosen) but it can't when loaded which makes advancing it easy. This in turn would be great for climbing/descending SRT/DRT. I'm less convinced it would make for a good tether hitch at height but I'm far from an expert.

In looking at it, the cobra weave appears to be trying to open up (loosen) but it can't when loaded which makes advancing it easy. This in turn would be great for climbing/descending SRT/DRT. I'm less convinced it would make for a good tether hitch at height but I'm far from an expert.
For the tether I on was only able to do two cobra weaves because my cord was so short. On the JRB climbing rope I was able to do the full 3 wraps as the video showed from WLR. I think it might make some difference. It was extremely pleasant to JRB climb on.

I’ve still been able to adjust it one handed when using it on a tether, but I like using a rope man on my tether when actually hunting. I think I am going to use the WLR on my lineman’s though.

More testing to come. Just excited to be trying something new.
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing. Do you know if the WLR will self tend similarly to the JRB Hitch? Asking in terms of LB and tether applications, rather than JRB climbing.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing. Do you know if the WLR will self tend similarly to the JRB Hitch? Asking in terms of LB and tether applications, rather than JRB climbing.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Yea I think with the right cord and rope it will.

It did not self tend as a tether with the old predator tether ECW cord I had laying around but again I was only using two cobra weaves. Someone said in an earlier post that it did well with Oplux and TRC I believe. I’m going to try it on HTP and report back. Lineman’s belt self tending seems to work, tether I’m not convinced yet. I need to try it on Oplux as well.

Where I really liked the WLR was on the JRB climbing system. They ascend and progress capture efficiently without slipping or worry of slipping, and they break loose very easily. The single Michoacán’s I use can be sketchy if you don’t make sure they bite. With the WLR hitch I could throw it up or down and weight it with no worry of it not catching. These are just my first takes. One complaint I had with the JRB hitch was that it just kept getting tighter and tighter. After 3 climbs it was almost impossibly to break or ascend with (JRB hitch). I didn’t have that problem with these WLR hitches yet, but if it becomes a problem I’ll be sure to mention it as well. These break incredible easy as well, similar to the ease of the sticht hitch. This makes them a great candidate for JRB because when you’re at the top ready to rappel you need to loosen the hitches without removing weight. That seemed very easy to do as I show in the video. More testing to come. Just excited to be trying something new.

Here’s a quick video of me checking it out.
What rope were you running for your jrb system that they were binding?

Back