• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Women in a saddle

Hannah Nyitrai

Hey there! Quick question from a newb. I have been practicing from the saddle in my yard and it seems to me, especially on the more challenging shots, that I'm exerting more energy thus wearing out quicker shooting my bow out of the saddle than I would standing on the ground or a stand. Is this a normal thing for first timers? It should be noted that I'm not in the best shape. I also wonder if maybe I'm making it more complicated than it needs to be, as in how I take the shots. Any tips or do I just need to get in better shape before season?

Welcome to the site Hannah. I'm new to this as well, so I won't be able to help. This is a good question though and one that I had considered. I've wondered how quickly one could get worn down being in a strain trying to shoot. I guess I'll find out soon as my sit drag showed up today and my rc harness will be here next week. I'll be watching this to see what more experienced saddle hunters have to say about it.

Welcome Hannah!
What are you using for a platform?

Hey welcome from TN.

Great question. I find I definitely get fatigued when practicing weak side shots (anything from 12 to 3 on the clock). I also tend to shoot a 3-4 inches to the right. All other shot positions seem easier and arrows go where I aimed them. I just keep practicing those tough shots and am trying to get into "saddle shape" for the season. FYI- I use a ring of steps from bellman outdoors as my platform. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Welcome! Saddle hunting rewards fitness and everything around the saddle and climbing, including shooting, gets better the more you do it. Keep at it!

John H., Hickory, NC

Keep your nose to the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.

Welcome.

You're probably just using muscles that you don't normally use. I golf, bowl, and paddleboard each two or three times a year. I always wake up sore in odd places from each, and I'm fairly athletic and active. You're activating muscles that don't get used often in daily life.

Any type of core exercises will help for sure, but so will shooting from your saddle. By end of season I suspect you won't even notice it anymore.

Welcome.

You're probably just using muscles that you don't normally use. I golf, bowl, and paddleboard each two or three times a year. I always wake up sore in odd places from each, and I'm fairly athletic and active. You're activating muscles that don't get used often in daily life.

Any type of core exercises will help for sure, but so will shooting from your saddle. By end of season I suspect you won't even notice it anymore.
Right on, thank you!

Hey welcome from TN.

Great question. I find I definitely get fatigued when practicing weak side shots (anything from 12 to 3 on the clock). I also tend to shoot a 3-4 inches to the right. All other shot positions seem easier and arrows go where I aimed them. I just keep practicing those tough shots and am trying to get into "saddle shape" for the season. FYI- I use a ring of steps from bellman outdoors as my platform. Hope this helps, and good luck!
Same! Except I shoot to the left. Super annoying. My goal is to have that tightened up before season.

Welcome.

Another right on, absolutely

Welcome! Saddle hunting rewards fitness and everything around the saddle and climbing, including shooting, gets better the more you do it. Keep at it!

John H., Hickory, NC

Truth spoken here. Not just shooting, practice climbing a lot! A lot a lot!! Big rewards will follow.

John H., Hickory, NC

Thank you, will do!

Welcome to the site Hannah. I'm new to this as well, so I won't be able to help. This is a good question though and one that I had considered. I've wondered how quickly one could get worn down being in a strain trying to shoot. I guess I'll find out soon as my sit drag showed up today and my rc harness will be here next week. I'll be watching this to see what more experienced saddle hunters have to say about it.
Good luck!

Hey there! Quick question from a newb. I have been practicing from the saddle in my yard and it seems to me, especially on the more challenging shots, that I'm exerting more energy thus wearing out quicker shooting my bow out of the saddle than I would standing on the ground or a stand. Is this a normal thing for first timers? It should be noted that I'm not in the best shape. I also wonder if maybe I'm making it more complicated than it needs to be, as in how I take the shots. Any tips or do I just need to get in better shape before season?
I think its normal for you to exert more energy shooting from the saddle. It gets easier over time, but you really need to just make 1 great shot, so I focus on making my first my best as that is usually all I get in a hunting scenario. Breaking down and getting tired after repetition doesn't really bother me and I don't compare it to shooting multiple arrows from the ground.

I think its normal for you to exert more energy shooting from the saddle. It gets easier over time, but you really need to just make 1 great shot, so I focus on making my first my best as that is usually all I get in a hunting scenario. Breaking down and getting tired after repetition doesn't really bother me and I don't compare it to shooting multiple arrows from the ground.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the input!

Just work on shooting in a sitting position to your strong side.

Then work toward 12 o'clock (top shot).

Then work toward 6 o'clock (drop shot).

Those shots shouldn't require a lot of movement or core strength but it will condition you.

Then cycle in a couple weak side shots.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just work on shooting in a sitting position to your strong side.

Then work toward 12 o'clock (top shot).

Then work toward 6 o'clock (drop shot).

Those shots shouldn't require a lot of movement or core strength but it will condition you.

Then cycle in a couple weak side shots.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thank you, may work on that.

Back